LGBT Life | Teen Ink

LGBT Life

October 19, 2015
By mattyaoneill SILVER, New York City, New York
mattyaoneill SILVER, New York City, New York
7 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." Benjamin Franklin


Ok i'm going to start this rant off with a good old quote, “What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street, but the human heart, oh, no, it's curved like a road through mountains.”  -- Tennessee Williams, “A Streetcar Named Desire”. This quote not only means a lot to me but it inspires me to do more for the community also. There is never a dull moment in my life (unless im doing homework) but other then that I am the most free and happy person you could ever meet.

If someone told me that being gay is a sin, the first response I would think of would be "oh, screw you", but if I thought about my response for a while I would restate it. I would say "You just don't really understand it yet, and that's okay!" Not only would this be more mature, but it would also be CORRECT! I have three amazing friends who support me and love me to death. They are always there for me when I am feeling down or when I am need of a little boost!

At my Old school, I didn't have this kind of support and my parents were very troubled to see me like that. I was depressed and angry with the world and I just didn't understand why the world was the way it was. Now I am older and appreciate that I am even on this earth to begin with, I also know that the people who don't accept or have hate towards people who are different in our comunity, just don't understand what people like me go through on a day to day basis. We are always expecting to be critizied or laughed at because of something that is different or odd about us.

This world is not fair in many ways, but it is the world that I live in, and it is a world that I and the LGBT Comunity can change together. People may not think that kids and teens that are my age would have the power to do anything, but those people are wrong, the possibilities are endless, from doing walks to writing articles such as this one, there is never nothing to do. So as I finish up this rant, PLEASE think about what I have said, and if you are anti or a hater of the LGBT community then just take a moment or maybe a night or a month or year even and maybe think about what I have said and do something good for us.

You DO NOT have to change your personality in any way because that is who you are and that can never change, but you could do something good and walk a LBGT walk or introduce some friends to the topic. But whatever you do it will most likely be great. So because I started with a quote I must finish with one also. “Being gay is natural. Hating gay is a lifestyle choice.” -- John Fugelsang


The author's comments:

My new great friends Michelle, Farhath and Saije inspired me to write this piece.