Acceptance and Being | Teen Ink

Acceptance and Being

May 20, 2016
By moviemakerbridge12 SILVER, Park Ridge, Illinois
moviemakerbridge12 SILVER, Park Ridge, Illinois
8 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Laughter is amazing"


“Do not lie with a man as one man lies with a woman? that is detestable,” (Leviticus 18:22)

 

This is one of the bible verses about homosexuality. Yes, in the Bible it says homosexuals should be put to death. Why? Isn’t the Bible suppose to be supporting kindness and love? I’m Christian (specifically Methodist and I practice some Buddhist beliefs). It’s horrific that young people get kicked out of their own homes just because of their sexuality. 25% to 50% depending on the state of homeless youth are LGBT and on the streets because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. This makes me sick! It makes me so sad that parents could kick out their own loving child to go live on the streets and not feel guilt. Just imagine, 5 out of 10 kids on the streets just because of who they like.

 

Some of these youth’s families are probably very religious. Who wrote the Bible again? There were many authors but not one including who the bible is all about: God! I wish God could of just wrote it, and just thrown it down from the sky. In my opinion, we need to update the bible and change it. I think it should be written in modern English because I feel like more people would read it and understand it.

 

CrazyholyrollerChristians as my dad calls them, still don’t follow everything from the Bible. “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.” (Leviticus 19:28). You’re not suppose to get tattoos, work on Sundays, eat pork, and you can’t wear ripped jeans. Do you understand what I’m trying to say? The Bible has some very stupid rules. I know God loves everyone and he wants you to spread love. God doesn’t care who you love? he has better things to worry about. Love is love. Simple as that. There’s nothing right about people bullying others because of someone’s sexuality. Two girls or two boys are doing nothing to affect you. They’re not hurting anyone. If they’re kissing and making you feel uncomfortable, you can move or polietyly ask them to move. There’s no need to bully anyone at all. When you feel a deep strong connection deep inside your heart, it shouldn’t matter what gender they are. If you like someone, then go for it! I’ve learned you have to trust your gut feeling. If it feels right, keep going, and if it doesn't, stop. I’ve had friends who’ve been in the closet meaning they aren’t out to anyone. First, it’s huge to accept yourself before coming out. From personal experience, this summer I started meditating and found my true self. When you’re in nature or meditating, you have no one to impress. You have nothing to think and worry about. You’re in the moment. Meditating has taught me that you need to live in the moment. You need to live each day like it’s your last. I took a huge risk and told my crush I liked them. Surprisingly, they also liked me. I’m just waiting for them to ask me out and patience is something I need to practice. After you’ve accepted yourself, you feel free. The next step if you’re ready is to come out to friends and family. When my friend who’s bisexual came out to me, I was shocked. You may feel weirded out by it but soon that feeling will stop. They’re still the same person. They still love you and they need your love and support. Especially if you’re a parent, you may feel like it’s a phase or they’re experimenting. It’s not a phase, it’s them showing you their true selves. Doesn't every parent want their child to be happy? Gay also means happy. You don’t want your kids to be holding back something and keep secrets. My same friend was in the closet with her parents and she had a girlfriend. They had to sneak around and lie. She finally came out to her parents. Her family had no problem with it and her girlfriend was so proud of her. I will always that smile on her face as she told me that it went amazing. Everything starts with one giant leap forward in the right direction. After you’re out you feel like a weight is lifted off your shoulders. Sometimes that weight is pushed back on when people judge you because of your sexuality. People may give you weird stares when you kiss your girlfriend/boyfriend or call you mean words. You’ve got to ignore them and move on. Don’t call them anything back, instead spread kindness to them. Be proud you’re yourself. Trust me, they’re maybe jealous that you have the confidence to be who you truly are. Keep smiling and never change for anyone. You can improve yourself for the better. Remember this, think you can and you will!


The author's comments:

I went to pride parade this past summer and it inspired me to write this piece. I just don't understand why we can't accept LGBTQ people. Love is love. Gay people are not bothering others so then why make it a big deal? I hope people will also accept themself without the need of feeling isolated and worthless or think their sexuality determines their status or what people will think of themselves. Be yourself because someone out there loves you!