Journal Excerpt #4 | Teen Ink

Journal Excerpt #4

By pennyloafers BRONZE, Somewhere, California
pennyloafers BRONZE, Somewhere, California

The following was written with the purpose of answering this prompt: 

Why is society so invested in the concept of gender? What would society be like catergories/labels such as "masculine" and "feminine"? 

In order for society to function, it needs an elaborate set of rules that almost all of the masses must follow. It needs these commandments to work, otherwise, what is society? But then, there are rules that may not be exactly regulated and written but are definetly common practice in a civilization. Take civilization as we know it today, for instance, it's assumed that a baby boy ought to wear blue, and pink for females,for ladies, men must always open doors for ladies, it's best totalk oftenn in conversation in order to avoid awkward silences, and always sneeze in between you arm rather than in your hand because hands are used more. These types of practices, as well as the gender practices Greer and Butler mention, are not enfored as adamantly as crimes or debt, but they are still expected out of society. There's something about having an abundant amount of regulations that make certain people comfortable, that make them make sure they're living life safely and properly. Perhaps these less enforced rules are just an additional layer for people to feel more comfortable about identiy, and give them more guidance on who they are. I think that a scoiety without major labels like "masculine" and "feminine" will, for sure, make people more free flowing and accepting for each other, but also more unsure about who they are and their purpose.