Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

By deVriesA GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
deVriesA GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear WWII Veteran,
Before I introduce myself I would like to say thank you for your service! The citizens of the United States can sadly sometimes take for granted the veterans like you who are willing to put their lives on the line in order for this country to stand strong. I would like to sincerely and properly thank you for your service and welcome you back home.
My name is Annika. I am a junior in high school. Although I am Canadian, I value and appreciate the service you provide the United States. I am grateful I had the opportunity to move to such a safe, protected and free country. I moved here with my five siblings and two parents for my dad’s job. I found it difficult to adjust to the different culture and found there was a significant language barrier. I assume you faced some of the same difficulties while you were deployed in other countries although for you it may have been at a greater extent. I would like to make it abundantly clear that you and your service to this country are not only appreciated by your fellow American citizens, but also appreciated by me, my family and all the other immigrants that move to this country for a better life.

I understand your first welcome home may not have been as wonderful as you hoped nor expected. I want to sincerely apologize. My hope is that now you receive a proper welcome home and that all of America’s fellow veterans receive the proper welcome home they deserve.

I do not believe there is a big enough welcome home celebration that suffices the service you provide the United States. This country is and will be forever grateful for your service and all you do and have done. My hope is for the citizen who do sometimes take for granted your service that they truly do realize and appreciate what you and America’s fellow veterans do for this country.  Thank you for your service and welcome home veteran!

Sincerely
Annika 

This is a letter to a Veteran