Homophobia | Teen Ink

Homophobia

Homosexuality is defined as a person having a romantic attraction toward someone of the same gender. A more specific definition would be a man loving a man and a woman loving a woman to be more specific. For some people, that’s completely okay. It’s just a human being loving another human being. For others, however, it’s a disgrace to the world.

To these people, homosexuality seen as “wrong” or “untraditional.” They usually say things like, “It’s not what God or the bible says.” These are just some of many arguments as to why “homosexuality is seen as abomination to humanity.” Well I am here to say that these arguments are absolutely outrageous and disgusting. I don’t see how a human being could possibly believe that two people being in love is wrong. Thankfully homophobia is not as big of an issue here in the United States than in other countries. It is still occurring here, however. It makes no sense to me that a country as progressed as this one still has this ignorant belief.

I, myself, am gay. I have somewhat learned to ignore homophobic comments some make, but it’s still offensive. It’s difficult to hear when people you love have beliefs like these. It’s difficult to hear people say that because you are gay that there’s something wrong with me, or that I won’t be allowed into heaven. One of the worst things to hear is when someone says that I am going to hell for being gay. That is complete nonsense. I don’t see how someone’s sexuality could determine if they are a good person or not.

Some are also vehemently opposed to a same sex couple having children of their own. They believe that a child won’t be raised right, unless they have a mother and a father. Once again they base their skill on their sexuality. I plan on having a husband later on in life and without a doubt, I plan on adopting kids. I will try my absolute best to be a good father for them, and I’m sure that I could be a better father than some straight men with kids are.

There are even some that believe two men or two woman being together is “disgusting.” Even though two people being in love does not affect them in any way, they feel like they need to give their opinion as to why this is wrong. I myself am currently in a same sex relationship. I am very happy with him and I’m sure he is happy as well. That’s all that we are: two happy people being together. We don’t bother anyone but unfortunately we have to keep this relationship a secret because of the fear of homophobic people.

That is what homophobia causes. It makes people scared; it makes people hide who they truly are; it impedes people from being truly happy, and worst of all, it makes some think that the homophobic people are right. It makes closeted people think that there is something wrong with them and that they don’t deserve a chance to be truly happy. I know this, because at one point I believed them. I thought that there was something wrong with me, or that because I was feeling like this, I would be going to hell. Eventually however, I realized that there wasn’t anything wrong with me: I shouldn’t feel bad because I’m gay. The ones that make people feel like they are worthless every day of their lives should be the ones feeling bad. They should feel bad for making other human beings feel like there is something wrong with them, making them feel like they shouldn’t have basic rights like falling in love, being in a relationship, getting married, or having kids.

People in the LGBT community should not have to feel like this anymore. They should never have felt like this to begin with. These are people with basic human emotions. They aren’t any different than the rest of the population. Nobody should ever have to feel the way some people in the LGBT community feel. Everyone, no matter sexuality, deserves basic human rights and deserves to be treated like a human being. At the end of the day, that’s all that we are, human beings.

Marysia PLATINUM, Halifax, Virginia

"It is nothing to die. It is frightful not to live."
-Victor Hugo

Shout it from the rooftops, my friend. The world needs to hear this message.