Women's Strength | Teen Ink

Women's Strength

By jse123pet BRONZE, Nyack, New York
jse123pet BRONZE, Nyack, New York

Why is your gender thought of as a misfortune or mistake? Whether you are seen as strong or weak depends on the gender you were born, but why is that? Why are women seen as less powerful in the world than men?  Whether it be neurological differences that show how women are stronger or how a women is still objectified, women are fighting against this flaw in society.  Despite the culture, women have an underlying strength that is going unrecognized.

The brain is the powerhouse of the body, and it has a huge impact on how people act and behave as well as live their daily lives.  For example, “Women are twice as likely as men to experience clinical depression in their lifetimes; likewise for post-traumatic stress disorder. Men are twice as likely to become alcoholic or drug-dependent, and 40 percent more likely to develop schizophrenia. Boys’ dyslexia rate is perhaps 10 times that of girls, and they’re four or five times as likely to get a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder.”(Goldman,“Two Minds”).  Women have more synaptic connections to their brain stem to their spine, which lets them feel and think more emotions, leaving them the ability to become depressed or easily stressed. When you look at a man’s brain it has less connections from the brainstem to the spine letting them feel less emotions. Men are more likely to have brain disorders instead of emotional problems. This leads  to the conclusion that a woman's brain is stronger than a man's because...  More evidence to further this point is, “ For women, these neurons connect to areas of the brain regulating internal areas of the body, thus focusing on aspects such as her hormones, blood pressure and respiration. On the other hand, these same neurons in men will connect to areas of the brain focused on the external areas, including vision and movement. This will cause a significant difference in the behaviour of a man and woman experiencing the same stressful situation.(Bradley “Emotions — Differences Between Men and Women)”. The neurons in the brain hit different parts of brain. Further women have neurons that go to more internal areas, causing aspects in the body that control emotions and stress related things to act up,while in a man it’s for physical like vision and movement, and other brain disorders. This is how the brain causes differences in how people act, concluding in women having a stronger brain. By showing that men are prone to more physical problems and women are just prone to more emotional problems.

Society plays a big part on how people act and how women are being affected. For example, “Women working full time were paid just 80% of what men were paid, a gap of 20%. The gap has narrowed since the 1970’s, due largely to women's progress in education and workforce participation. Women are expected to reach equal pay in 2059. For women to finally reach pay parity. For women of color, the rate of change is even slower:Hispanic women will have to wait until 2233 and Black women will wait until 2124 for equal pay.” (“Pay equality and discrimination”) Money is what a lot of people care about, people also need it to support their families and have a home. So why is the amount you earn affected so much by what gender you are. Since 1970 the pay gap has shrunk, but only by 6.6%. That's only $0.80 per $1 earned by men. This might be solved by 2059, and for women of color it takes even longer. Why does gender and race affect how much money you earn? Everyone might have equal pay in 2124. It takes 106 years. 106 years, that's an insane number of years to have to wait for something that should have happened hundreds of years ago. This might only happen  if women keep fighting for everything that they need, equal rights. The conclusion is that even though women are perceived as weak, women are strong and that's not seen and it has such an impact on how they make their income.

Another huge problem in society that women are fighting against is how they are “supposed” to look. Society has such a huge craze on the “perfect” body that it hurts people leading to depression and loss of self-confidence. For example, “Millions of women every day are bombarded with the media’s idea of the “perfect” body. These unrealistic images are portrayed in women’s magazines all over the country. The message being sent to women is that they are not pretty or skinny enough. The average American woman is 5’4” and weighs 140 pounds, while the average American model is 5’11” and weighs 117 pounds. Annually, magazine companies spend billions of dollars on diet and exercise advertisements to put in their magazines. Magazines sell body dissatisfaction to their readers through unrealistic images of women, as well as dieting and exercise information. Thirty years ago, Marilyn Monroe, a size 14, had the “ideal” body shape and size, but today’s standard is much smaller. As the beauty ideal continues to get smaller in our society, body image within American women continues to plummet. Magazines portray and compare happiness with being thin; therefore some feel if they are not thin, then they are not happy. As with women of all ages, many college-age women are believed to hold unrealistic ideals of body shape and size, ideals that can be both physically and emotionally

unhealthy.”(Signe,Chojnacki,Grant,Maguire,and Regan).Magazines and social media have affected women by saying there is one type of body you need, “perfect”. The thing is even kids see these and look up to unrealistic expectations that only 5% of the population has. Most people use photoshop because they feel the need to be “perfect”. This has just gotten worse over time, leading people to have eating disorders and plastic surgery procedures as well as depression. This has gotten so bad that a woman is brave to post a picture online natural (no photoshop, no makeup). Why do people have to disguise themselves to be accepted by society? Also photo perfect has gotten to kids as well, as kids photo day has an option to perfect skin and make the photo look “better”. Out of all people, kids should be protected by this but even schools are pushing images on kids. Society does have a huge impact on how people live and how they are being affected positively and negatively as well as how people are denying it and setting their own goals.

Around the world gender roles have differed in whatever part of the world you are in and women are finally taking a stand for their right. For example, “One of the key obstacles women face is a lack of education. In many countries, education is granted only to men, denying women of their right to knowledge and leaving them in the continuing cycle of mistreatment, violence, and poverty. But when women are provided with education, they’re better equipped to make decisions for themselves, to obtain employment, and to gain new perspectives about gender equality and basic human rights.(Ackerman”The Global Treatment of Women: Lessons From the Women in the World Summit”). Education is one of the key elements to a successful life, and when this is taken away people suffer. Women should have a right to knowledge so they know what is happening to them is wrong. People are restricting education for  women  so they can do housework and start a family.Having an education gives people the lesson of independence and the ability to have your own life. Another significant thing women around the world are doing is marching to tell people what should be happening. For example, “Turnout was enormous, especially compared to Trump’s lackluster inauguration crowds, and with minimal police involvement, there were minimal eruptions of violence, rioting or arrests. Besides that there was an atmosphere of welcoming through the protests, with nationalities joining for the common cause(Dailykos“How Much Impact Did The Women's March Have?”)”.  These marches give women confidence knowing that there are many other people out there in the whole world that have the same problems that theydo. It was a peaceful protest, with minimal people getting hurt. This was because people didn't want to get hurt they just wanted people to understand. This is how millions of women around the world are showing their strength.

Even though women and men have very different roles, women are starting to gain more not associated with their gender. For example, “There are currently 10 elected female leaders in office around the world. These women only account for about one in 20 of today's leaders of the United Nations member states. Also, most of them are the first women to hold their countries highest office. Female leadership is more common in some regions of the world than others.(Bora,Chughtai and Saleem“Women leaders around the world”). Women being in leadership is a role that should be more common than uncommon. As in the 2016 U.S election, U.S President . Donald Trump, many things were wrong and were not publicly announced as a national problem. Look at Hillary Clinton, strong, brave and breaking stereotypes, she was publicly shamed after her emails were leaked. But why was a women doing something wrong more apparent to the media? Since it was the first election that a woman was running for president, society was hard on her and she created a breaking point. Hillary Clinton created a crack in a wall or opened the doors to a new opportunity for the U.S.A. Another thing that women are rising up to is having a better education. For example, “From 2006 to 2015, the number of women with college degrees rose by about 9.3 million – almost 50% more than the 6.2 million increase for men. Similarly, about 60% of the 9.1 million increase in college educated workers were women, 40% men. College educated women are, relatively speaking, flooding the labor market. The number of employed women rose over 28%, compared with 16.6% for men.(CCAP “The New Gender Gap From 'College For All”).  Numbers for college degrees have risen so much, for every 3 bachelor's degree earned by a women only 2 are earned by a man. This is because as of 2010 only 6.3% of high school dropouts are women as men have a 8.5% dropout rate. Leaving women with more opportunities for more high standard jobs. But there are more unemployed women because society won't let them have the jobs that they deserve. This is how women around the world are strong, fighting against society and biases all around the world.

What inspired me to write this peice is how society views women and how there are so many baises. I hope people get the feeling of enpowerment when they read my paper.