Police Brutality | Teen Ink

Police Brutality

March 12, 2018
By K9Officergirl BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
K9Officergirl BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever wondered why people post videos of the police throwing a colored person to the ground to cuff them, and then cuffing a white person while standing? Now while they don’t do this all the time they do, do it in hot situations. This is called Police brutality. The police are rough and harsher with a colored person, and that’s wrong. Different types of police brutality are: excessive force, false arrest or imprisonment, and malicious prosecution. Officers can serve without killing the people they are sworn to protect, without being racist, without hurting the world and the justice system.

Police and law enforcement are a crucial part of our communities and even the world. Every day they help people in need and keep citizens safe. Every day they also kill an average of three people nationwide. We believe officers can play a vital role in communities they serve without killing the people they are sworn to protect, without being racist, without hurting the world and the justice system.

I believe the police are more brutal to colored people because sadly they are most often called to a case or problem that was caused or is about a colored person. I think that because of this, officers believe that colored people in general are bad. As Atticus Finch says to the jury "...would go along with them on the assumption, the evil assumption, that all negroes lie; all negroes are basically immoral beings; all negro men are not to be trusted around our women, an assumption that one associates with minds of their caliber, and which is in itself, gentlemen, a lie – which I do not need to point out to you." This is where the problem is colored people should not be judged because of the things other people of their race have done. So yes, it is possible for officers to serve their towns and states without killing the people they are sworn to protect, without being racist, without hurting the world and the justice system. 

Now it is my hope that this nation will be able to rise above itself and realize that all we are doing is tearing the world apart not joining it together. My dream is to become an officer however I don’t know if I want to do this if law enforcement is becoming something that hurts the people, abuses the people, kills the people, instead of protecting the people. Racism and Police Brutality need to end otherwise our free world will end instead.