The War on Drugs in Albania, and What it Means for Europe | Teen Ink

The War on Drugs in Albania, and What it Means for Europe

By KrisN2 BRONZE, East Hartford, Connecticut
KrisN2 BRONZE, East Hartford, Connecticut

On December 1, 2016, the British Broadcasting corp. (BBC) reported that Albania’s clandestine drug industry may be producing almost half of the nation’s total GDP on a yearly basis. Recent aspiration of the Albanian government to become admitted into the European Union, however, has successfully and drastically accelerated efforts to crack down on the mafias, corruption and poverty in Albania which are allowing this to take place.

But first, how has it gotten so bad? Albania has been stable in recent decades, not on a large enough scale, however. For instance, while the capital of Tirana had seen significant growth in services and order, most of the rest of the country was left neglected. Poor and impoverished citizens in the rural regions were left to fend for themselves - and found a better life through the growth of illegal drugs. Backed by research, these are just few examples of the effects of poverty in Albania.

In response to this, Prime Minister Edi Rama has shown eagerness in establishing many prosperous policies and projects. For instance, the government of Albania is attempting to curb issues mentioned heretofore by providing financial services to rural areas, establishing consumer protection, and promoting tourism throughout the nation. To steer away from bribery, police salaries have risen between 10 and 17 percent.

Of course, more turbulent methods are being pursued in addition. Prime Minister Rama has promised to deal with the more aggressive concerns by expanding currently existing assets. With the help of the Italian government, and significantly more adequate usage of senior officers, keeping track of and attacking these illicit organizations is easier. Mr. Rama oversaw the besiege of Lazarat in 2014, a village in southern Albania, where civilians ineffectively utilized military-grade weaponry against police.

At this rate, the flow of certain drugs throughout Europe should significantly decrease, since Albania is the root cause of this spread. Today, Albania is opening up more government jobs to give citizens an alternative, while also rebuilding and refurnishing once neglected regions. Programs to promote rehabilitation and to get citizens functioning in society again are also a must to not only further help in reducing poverty in Albania, but furthering the nation as a whole.

Edi Rama hopes Albania will be accepted into the EU in the early 2020s.

Fact Checking File

1.    The British Broadcasting corp. stated that Albania’s drug industry may be worth 4.25 billion Euros, annually.

“One source estimates the illicit industry may be worth five billion euros (£4.25bn) per year - about half of Albania's GDP.”

2.   A major reason as to why Albania recently began cracking down on these issues is because the nation is looking to join the European Union

“Corruption and organized crime need to be fought in all levels, with successful efforts that involve all institutions in a more strategic approach. For starting the accession negotiations, Albania must support stable reforms, especially as regards the fight against corruption.”

3.   Albania had not been focused on certain regions of the country, some services only exclusive to the capital, and still are to this day.

“Universal drug prevention activities are mainly implemented in school settings… in 2011, the program was piloted in 16 schools in Tirana and Shkodra… Needle and syringe services are offered only in the capital, Tirana.”

4.   Citizens had to fend for themselves. In an interview of an individual involved with this business, the interviewee had said the following:

“This is our curse - there are no jobs, no work here. There's no money in growing anything else. I know it's not a good thing I'm doing, but there's no other way.”

Another source had pointed out:

“…And in the desperately poor countryside, there is also a strong economic imperative to grow the crop.”

5.   The “Financial Times” explains how Italy has been providing aerial surveillance to assist Albania in tracking illegal activity.

6.   The short conflict in Lazarat was explained live in this BBC article:

7.   The study pertaining to Albanians and their feelings because of, or leading towards poverty was first mentioned in this book (Page 5):

8.   This agenda shows how Albania is attempting to deal with poverty in a less-violent manner.

9.   Police salaries in Albania are said to increase by 17%

10.   Albania’s drug problem touches all of Europe:

11.   Albania is taking initiatives to supply citizens with water 24/7, prices will slightly increase, however.

12.   Albania has seen an increase in jobs in the last four years, although some goals were not met. The socialist party have claimed to have opened up 183,000 jobs of their 300,000 goal, four years ago.

“In its electoral program, the ruling Socialists seeking a second consecutive term, promise to create some 220,000 jobs for the next four years, admitting that they missed their 300,000 new jobs target for the past four years when they claim to have opened up 183,000 jobs.”

13. Edi Rama hopes to join the EU in the early 2020s.

I decided to write about this article to highlight drug use and how it may be tied into more issues in the world, like poverty. I'm currently a sophmore in High School and enjoy current events, so decided to focus on this one because it has a more positive side despite the negatives (it demonstrates that things are getting better). 

This is the first article I've submitted to an organization like this one! 

Kris Nasse