Puerto Rico should become a state | Teen Ink

Puerto Rico should become a state

By Soleyris15 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Soleyris15 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

I believe that Puerto Rico should become the 51st state of the United States. This will be very beneficial to the people, the culture, and help out its infrastructure. It’s important to me because I myself am from Puerto Rico. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. Becoming a state would help our schools and our economy to progress, not do the opposite. I know that it's a huge change but we are changing for a better future so that we will be more prepared and stable. Statehood would change our government. There has been a lot of fraud in the government with the past presidents. If Puerto Rico were to become a state it would help clean up the government and also, our police department would be reinforced as well. Puerto Rico with this much help and benefits could rebuild itself as a better country, a better community and a better economy. I feel like this fight for this island to become a state would end in a good manner. If we go back a few years Puerto Rico was in very bad shape when hurricane Maria passed through. It left the people devastated, buildings were collapsing, there was a power outage for half the island. There were barely any supplies and that was back in 2017, 4 years ago, and yet still today people have no power and their houses are not even uninhabitable.

These are just some of the several reasons that Puerto Rico should become the 51st state in the United States of America. If you are not living in Puerto Rico please support us as we try to join the US. If you are a citizen in Puerto Rico, please, vote for our country to become a state. 

This was an English assignment for my Voices for Change project.