How Hustle Culture is Destroying High School Students | Teen Ink

How Hustle Culture is Destroying High School Students

By raineybutsunny GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
raineybutsunny GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

Hustle culture believes more work equals more success. And while there are positive elements to this culture, like increased motivation and productivity, I have two concerns: what is so special about this mindset that you can’t find similar results elsewhere? Do they genuinely outweigh the negatives?

It is not a surprise that this culture flourishes in high school. Students live in a time of record-low acceptance rates, online comparison, and crippling mental health. Academic pressure is everywhere, and it’s here to stay.

As a result, high schoolers sacrifice every minute of their day to schoolwork and extracurriculars for acceptance into their dream schools. But how do they cope when there isn’t enough gas in the tank? How do they manage when the pressure is too much?

The short answer is they don’t.

In a study published by the CDC, statistics show that in 2021, more than 4 in 10 (42%) students felt persistently sad or hopeless and nearly one-third (29%) experienced poor mental health.  Furthermore, In 2021, more than 1 in 5 (22%) students seriously considered attempting suicide and 1 in 10 (10%) attempted suicide.

Connecting with school and family is the only way to improve teens’ mental health. When teens rush forward — hustle — they lose these connections. Connections are just as vital as food and water. Without balance in life, people burn out.

Our society rewards this hustle. High school students gain satisfaction for their sacrifice and their trade-offs. They are given exemplary grades, parental validation, and awe from their classmates. Americans tend to treat this trade-off as part of life. Physical and mental health becomes optional — like you can switch your focus like a light switch.

This isn’t true.

This perspective ruins worldviews. Prolonged untreated mental health can result in risks, including drug abuse, violence, and reckless sexual encounters. There are minor sacrifices, like the lack of healthy eating, opting out of weekly exercise, and the high risk of illness from an underperforming immune system. This lifestyle is killing Americans.

This behavior is rewarded. Why are high schoolers taught to trade health for success? Why do we teach them to lose themselves, jeopardize their relationships, and give up before they begin? Is this a cultural issue? Is it nationwide or only in small sectors? Does it have to be this way?

This mental health crisis is one of the most unique things about this generation. Many are quick to blame online use, but what can we blame ourselves for? In other words, what are we responsible for?

High schoolers need help, and their environment has to change first.

This is an article about the mental health crisis of Generation Z.  My intent is to draw more light to the crisis, and emphasize that it’s only getting worse.