What Matters? Destination or the path. | Teen Ink

What Matters? Destination or the path.

June 5, 2023
By HarleyLiu SILVER, Irvine, California
HarleyLiu SILVER, Irvine, California
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment


“Check out the snow mountain over there, It’s gorgeous!“ my dad pointed outside the window, my mind quickly flashed back to the memory when my parent took me on road trips when was a child. They always letting me watch the beautiful views along the way to destination and I was quite confused why they are always that curious and shared with me these seems common thing. Isn’t the destination are more attracting and beautiful? I find the answer to that question just the other day on a road trip with my parents.


This Christmas holiday, my parent and I decided to have a roadtrip to Yosemite National park. I volunteered to be the driver for the journey, in order to prove myself and share the burden with my father. It is my first time drive that long distance, I was very excited but nervous. I know it’s not easy for a driver to drive a long distance but I was not realize it will be that stressed. The position of driver and passenger are totally different, which i need to be very sensitive on the road condition, speed and signs. My eyes soon getting dry, my arms feels the sore taken by the tension and my hands are so sweaty that I can even see from the finger seam. I can also feel my dad’s nervous, he warns me with the car following distance, speed limit and the correct exit.


When I got more familiar with the road and became less nervous, dad showed a more relaxed state. As the car drove, he was very excited and pointed to the views outside the window and shared with us. You see, the train with many carriage moving so slowly on the track that I thought it stopped. That’s the solar panels, it is actually hard to recognize when they are all connected to each other, feels like a lake... It was the first time I'd ever seen him looking out the window in a car homelike. We've been to a lot of places together, seen a lot of views but every time he's at his most reticent. He always said that when the steering wheel was in my hand, I had to keep everyone safe.


Compare to all of our previous road trips together, not only we changed the position in the car, but I was also taking over some responsibilities from my dad. I like a line in the spider man, with great power comes great responsibility. This is the time I realized that I can actually spare some of the responsibility from the family. As I’m going to college, the time we will be together will become less and less. I realized that every moment spend right now will never repeat, treasure the people around. The time we spent together, the views that passed by the windows will never come back, the most important is the companion along each journey of life, the memories we share.


The author's comments:

It is the growth and thoughts I had during my last trip. Hope this might help people with confusions a little insight of my self’s ideas.