Media: A Catalysts of Body Shaming and Agents of Body Positivity | Teen Ink

Media: A Catalysts of Body Shaming and Agents of Body Positivity

By AbbyLau BRONZE, Beijing, Other
AbbyLau BRONZE, Beijing, Other
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Fat, skinny, flat --- In the realm of body shaming, individuals are often exposed to disparaging labels and comments based on these words. The utilization of hurtful terms rather than simply linguistic expressions reflects the negative impact imposed by the media's promotion of unattainable ideals of physical attractiveness on a larger society.

In this digital era, the landscape of social interaction has significantly shifted to online platforms, particularly social media. These platforms, while offering countless opportunities for connection and self-expression, have inadvertently become the breeding grounds for negative behaviors due to anonymity. Among these negative behaviors, body shaming is one of the most prominent. Body shaming can be defined as the act of mocking individuals based on perceived flaws in their physical appearance; this is rooted in embedded societal standards of beauty and the human inclination to judge and categorize. Media has played a pivotal role in perpetuating body shaming and promoting many unrealistic beauty standards. However, by disseminating inclusive and diverse portrayals, the media may also serve as a catalyst for promoting a culture of body positivity.

Social media is playing a role in the discrimination and advocation of unrealistic beauty; body shaming, overtly and covertly, serves as a constant reminder of the unrealistic beauty standards that are now entrenched in our cultural values. At the core of body shaming, it lies a toxic demand for “perfection”. This is often seen in the heavily edited images with carefully curated portrayals of beauty. The 'flawless' physiques that influencers display on social media platforms such as Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok are frequently produced by experimenting with filters and intense editing. According to a Girl Scouts of the USA survey conducted in 2019, almost 80% of girls report feeling pressured to emulate the "perfect" celebrity images. (Girl Scouts of the USA, 2019) For many people, especially young minds that are easily influenced, it is almost impossible to distinguish between the real and the fake because of this constant exposure to a selective version of reality in the digital era. There is a notable correlation between the unrealistic ideals of perfectionism and the phenomenon of body shaming, which involves a substantial amount of action being taken. The exposure of humans to a constant influx of pictures portraying an unrealistic standard of beauty, along with the reinforcement of this standard as the norm, contributes to the development of an impulse to criticize and judge those who differ from these impractical ideals. The contribution of the media to promoting body shaming throughout society is evident through its promotion of these unachievable norms. As of now, people are entering a never-ending cycle of self-comparison for acceptance and validation as these platforms become a echo chamber, amplifying and reinforcing these unrealistic standards. This leads to an environment where aesthetics and self-worth are entwined, which skews individuals and society toward a sense of identity and value. As a result, society is caught up in the never-ending pursuit of a constantly changing "ideal." Sadly, this never results in fulfillment but rather in a lifelong state of discontent since the "ideal" is constantly changing and remains unattainable. People never come to understand that genuine beauty is found in the diversity of human expression and authenticity, where people are all beautiful in a certain way.

While the media has undeniably exerted a substantial influence in propagating body shaming, social media also holds considerable potential to serve as a formidable force in fostering body positivity. The potential roots lie in the capacity of media platforms to influence public views and attitudes towards body image by means of inclusive and empowering content. One effective strategy for media to promote body positivity is to delibratly portray diverse body shapes across various media-based platforms. Such as television programs, magazines, and promotional initiatives, they all have the capacity to feature persons who possess diverse sizes, forms, genders, and ethnic backgrounds, thereby presenting a departure from conventional beauty norms that adhere from a singular one-size-fits-all to a universally applicable standard. According to the results collected from the 2019 Global Beauty and Confidence Report performed by Dove, a significant majority of women (70%) and men (63%) across various geographical locations expressed a shared sentiment of increased self-assurance when seeing advertisements that showcase authentic individuals rather than just relying on models. (Dove's Global Beauty and Confidence Report, 2019) The deliberate selection of diverse body types, races, genders, and abilities by the media conveys a significant message of tolerance and acceptance, therefore mitigating the detrimental consequences of body shaming. This statistical data shows a crucial aspect of correlation—why does seeing diversity in media strengthen self-assurance? The answer can be found in the significance of authenticity. When media sends out a diverse range of individuals authentically, it conveys a powerful message to a large audience. These genuine depictions shatter the illusions of beauty and narrow down the perfect standards of beauty. Instead, the media should celebrate and advocate for individuals who recall authentic people who possess real physical forms, imperfections, and their own unique qualities. Social media, being a double-edged sword in the realm of body image, can be powerful in promoting body positivity when harnessed with good intentions and responsibility. By featuring a wide range of body types, promoting the celebration of body diversity, and facilitating genuine narratives on social media, digital media have the potential to actively contribute to a transformation in society's perspectives around positive body image. By engaging in these practices in the right way, individuals can contribute to the mitigation of the detrimental consequences associated with body shaming, thus fostering the development of a society that is more inclusive and accepting.

The promotion of body positivity through the media necessitates a comprehensive approach that entails collaborative efforts among many media organizations. Through the implementation of a diverse array of tactics, it is feasible to effectively utilize media in order to cultivate a society that is more inclusive and promotes an optimistic view of one's body image. Digital media should advocate for individuals to portray themselves in their most natural state, where they avoid excessive editing on their images, which therefore sends a powerful message of authenticity. In a society where perfection has become the norm, such an act as a breath of fresh air can invite a larger audience to appreciate true, unadulterated beauty. This depiction not only encourages the endorsement of authenticity but also enables a deep sense of personal attachment between both consumers and the models showcased in these advertising efforts. In contrast to the far-fetched and unachievable idealized representations of previous eras, these genuine portrayals can evoke a deeper sense of personal connection. Consumers are able to establish a connection with the models, perceiving them as authentic individuals with genuine flaws and distinctive attributes rather than regarding them as unachievable embodiments of flawlessness.

In conclusion, the media's involvement in spreading body shaming is unquestionable, but its capacity to foster body positivity is significant. By collectively devoting themselves to promoting a wide range of authentic portrayals, the media has the potential to play a role in reshaping society's standards of beauty and fostering a greater appreciation for the original and unmodified beauty found within oneself and others. In the context of advancing in the current digital age, it has become crucial to exercise responsible utilization of media in order to cultivate a societal environment that appreciates the various forms of human communication and nurtures a climate promoting self-acceptance and affirmation of diverse body types.

In face of this societal issue, the choice for us becomes clear: will we persist in a society that stigmatizes individuals based on their physical appearance, or will we collectively unite to advocate for inclusivity and embrace the wide range of beauty that is inherent in every individual? To create a society that is more inclusive and body-positive for everyone, it is up to us to make that decision and take action.

Bibliography

Girl Scouts of the USA, girlscouts.org/content/dam/girlscouts-gsusa/forms-and-documents/about-girl-scouts/research/beauty_redefined_factsheet.pdf, Accessed 01 Oct. 2023.

The Dove Global Beauty Report, unilever.com/files/origin/a2ea4ad672fa04bc2344595f1470a2318899b21c.pdf/global-beauty-confidence-report-infographic.pdf, Accessed 01 Oct. 2023.