Something so quiet | Teen Ink

Something so quiet

March 22, 2010
By Someone_Who_Is_Loved GOLD, Mount Forest, Other
Someone_Who_Is_Loved GOLD, Mount Forest, Other
10 articles 0 photos 82 comments

Favorite Quote:
This quote is one I made up.....
"You can't climb a mountian without a harness." It means that you can't go where you want to get in life without the help of your friends or family.


Silence. It comes when you least expect it. No one can live without silence. A good thing is that it never stays. Usually it comes and goes. You hear silence when you're alone, sad, or trying to ignore someone. There's two types of silence. The threating and icy silence which is the most harmful. There's a peaceful and thoughtful silence too. The question I'm trying to ask you here is ... which one do you hear more of?





When I'm in my room trying to write a poem or story I usually want to be alone. As I write I start to feel calm and at peace with myself, which makes me begin to hear a thoughtful silence. When I'm alone in my room with a book, pen, and a brain full of words it's difficult to break the silence. Sometimes, if I know what I want to write about, it may take me only half an hour. On other days it may take me all day because I'm stuck on a word or sentence. The only time the silence breaks is when my mom knocks on the door to ask if I want a drink but she never comes in. My mom is a writer too and she understands my need for silence. For some, like me when I'm writing, silence is needed. If your an artist in your studio would you want the room to be silent to express your ideas? I would. Silence is a very important part of our lives.



There is a time for some people when they feel the threating and icy silence. These people are usually made fun of and don't have many friends. Believe it or not but even popular girls with lots of friends feel this sort of silence. They may be depressed or not happy with who they are as a person. Most teenagers who hear this kind of silence commit suicide because they beileve this is the only way to end this slience. They kill themselves, only to find out that when you die, a even more icy, numb silence sweeps over you.


There is no way to rid yourself of this feeling. As I said before, silence can come and go as much as it wants. Some people need silence to create poetry, stories, art work, express themselves, or just relax. Other people feel helpless over this feeling which leads to death, obesity, drug users, depression, high school drop outs, and so much more.



If only EVERYONE heard the calm silence! The world would be a better place. No one would feel alone or afraid. Sadly, the one reason people don't feel this type of silence is because some people, and I must admit I fall under this category too, are just mean, cruel, or selfish. Everyday I pass the kid all alone at the lunch table and don't offer a seat to him. Although I'm not calling them names or spreading rumpurs, I might as well be. Walking past someone with out talking to them only makes their own type of silence even stronger. I could have been the reason the kid across the street shot himself. I never played basketball with him, talked to him, or even let myself know he existed.


So, may I ask one more time.... What type of silence do you hear more of?


The author's comments:
Enjoy!