On the Inside | Teen Ink

On the Inside

By Mallory Risko GOLD, Ocala, Florida
Mallory Risko GOLD, Ocala, Florida

High School has been dubbed one of the most difficult time periods in a person's life. While watching a new episode of MTV'S " If your really knew me", something occured to me.

Many of us feel as if we are alone in the world and question why we are here. If so many people have thoughts like these, why are we still hateful? Deep inside we know that our actions are wrong, but we continue to put down others to gain some sort of personal confidence. But what is the pay off? In the short term we may gain a temporary high, but in the long run we only hurt the person we are putting down. Victimizers may not see this as a problem, but they fail to realize the severity of their words.

So often we do not know what is going on in a person's life. The girl who wears weird clothing may have divorced parents. That same girl may go home after being made fun of, and face a vicious arguement. Feeling helpless and alone, she cuts herself. Hoping, that somehow the physical pain will mask the whirlwind of emotions she is feeling. Just by telling her how weird she is her pain escalates, and it becomes to much. One day she decides to end it all. Her final bow is taken, and as the tears fall you have to ask yourself was it worth it? Maybe her clothes are off the WalMart sale rack, but she is a precious child of God, and you are not the judge.

All of us have been in both the Victim and the Victimizers position. I would like to challenge you to stand up for what's right and put the lock on putdowns. Maybe you will lose some friends by speaking up when you know somethings wrong, but to be truthful their probably not the right type of friends anyway. For those of you that have been putdown and feel alone, know that there is someone out there who is going through the exact same thing. Know that you are not alone, no matter how small you may feel. Each day is new hope, and with each struggling step you take you become a stronger person and an example to us all.

I was inspired to write this piece after watching MTV'S " If you really knew me".