Privacy: What Most of Us Teenagers Don't Have | Teen Ink

Privacy: What Most of Us Teenagers Don't Have

December 18, 2010
By forever_misguided GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
forever_misguided GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
15 articles 0 photos 7 comments

I wanted to discuss something in particular today: Privacy. Something most of us teenagers don’t have. I know it’s the most irritating thing in the world! Like yesterday, for example, I had just gotten home and what did I find? My mom snooping in my room, of course.

I bet I’m not the only one who’s been through that, am I right?

It’s not fair that your parents think they can go through your personal belongings like nothing. Especially when you’re a teenager. Adolescence is the time that you tend to keep everything to yourself, and your parents are pretty damn good at making that impossible! It’s simply not fair! Let alone creepy.

There are things in your room that you don’t want anyone to know about. And trust me, we don’t want to know! Nothing personal really, I just don’t want to see something disturbing and be scarred for the rest of my life. That’s just me, though. Your momma might think differently.

Okay, I have to admit, some parents really should go through their kid’s stuff. I mean, they could potentially save your life! Although, they shouldn’t go as far as reading your diary or anything. Because, ya’ll know some of you be on that illegal status with your crack and weed.

Anyway, I get into tons of arguments about my privacy with my mother, but she doesn’t seem to understand. And it makes me wonder whether she even remembers when she was my age….

what do you think?