Positive music amidst the popularity | Teen Ink

Positive music amidst the popularity

January 5, 2011
By Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta


What are songs about these days? Lighting it up like it’s dynamite, taking rides on disco sticks, and love being a drug. Not exactly as family friendly as music used to be. Though David Archuleta’s music is an exception. From the songs he sang on American Idol, to the songs on his newest album, every song David has sung has been either inspirational or an innocent love song.

David has influenced music simply by singing about what he believes in. He believes in helping people with his music, not entertaining them and giving them what they want to hear. Motivational melodies and moving ballads, unlike most of today’s popular music. David would much rather sing about parachutes and airplanes rather than grenades. He’d rather sing a song about his perfect girl rather than California girls. He’d rather sing about things getting better rather than loving the way you lie. He’d rather sing about getting to the other side of down rather than spinning right round when she goes down.

David’s goal with his latest album, The Other Side of Down, was to make people happy and get them in a positive mindset. Not many songs today do that, and not many artists care to do that. The most popular artists today are all the same. Copying each other, singing about love with inappropriate language, wearing nothing but glitter on their face. David doesn’t need to do any of that to succeed. He simply sings and writes about the things he cares about and things that will be uplifting, and people don‘t expect anything more from him.

David stands out from all of them, doing what he feels is right, and he accomplishes what he wants. He’s influenced music with a positive spin, and artists today could learn a thing or two from his example.


The author's comments:
Just felt like making this known.