Positive music amidst the popularity | Teen Ink

Positive music amidst the popularity

By Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts

"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

What are songs about these days? Lighting it up like it’s dynamite, taking rides on disco sticks, and love being a drug. Not exactly as family friendly as music used to be. Though David Archuleta’s music is an exception. From the songs he sang on American Idol, to the songs on his newest album, every song David has sung has been either inspirational or an innocent love song.

David has influenced music simply by singing about what he believes in. He believes in helping people with his music, not entertaining them and giving them what they want to hear. Motivational melodies and moving ballads, unlike most of today’s popular music. David would much rather sing about parachutes and airplanes rather than grenades. He’d rather sing a song about his perfect girl rather than California girls. He’d rather sing about things getting better rather than loving the way you lie. He’d rather sing about getting to the other side of down rather than spinning right round when she goes down.

David’s goal with his latest album, The Other Side of Down, was to make people happy and get them in a positive mindset. Not many songs today do that, and not many artists care to do that. The most popular artists today are all the same. Copying each other, singing about love with inappropriate language, wearing nothing but glitter on their face. David doesn’t need to do any of that to succeed. He simply sings and writes about the things he cares about and things that will be uplifting, and people don‘t expect anything more from him.

David stands out from all of them, doing what he feels is right, and he accomplishes what he wants. He’s influenced music with a positive spin, and artists today could learn a thing or two from his example.

Just felt like making this known.

sunny said...
Great article about David! I love David because he has a beautiful voice, beautiful soul and he is beautiful inside and out!

Amy (in VA) said...
ahhhhh, Thank you sooo much for getting David! He IS the best thing that's hit music in many decades in my opinion.  His voice alone is incredible.  But it is his spirit, his desire to bring positive change that truly makes him a standout in this world. Thanks again for recognizing this in a world that NEEDS to see "The Other Side of Down." :)

rosie said...
David is a breath of fresh air when it comes to his music.  He stays true to what he believes and wants to accomplish with his writing.  He is an outstanding artist.  He will be around for a long, long time. 

Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts

Aww! <3

gwen said...
Fantastic article!!!!!!!! David gives us all hope for the future. Such a positive role model and so happy that you said it so well. Thank you for writing this and thank you David. Our shinning star.

Kat's Meow said...
The great thing about David's music is that it DOES entertain, even if that's not his primary goal.  Beautiful melodies, meaningful lyrics, and a killer voice create magic!

angel50 said...

I told David at his CD/book signing in Fort Wayne, IN., that I appreciated him staying true to himself. How terrific it was to have him look me in the eyes and say "awww, thanks". I heard those words all the way through my heart.  ♫♫What-a-Feeling♫♫

Thanks for a great article!

Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts

I love that quote! And I agree with everything abut David!

Sharon said...
What a wonderful article!!  I wish I had written it, because it is exactly what I feel about David...his music and his heart!!  Pooey to all those artists who "follow the crowd"!  One of my most frequent quotes to my children when they were growing up was  "if you don't stand for something...you will fall for anything"!  I am so proud of David for standing tall against all the pressures to be just a robot!!  His heart always leads him to where he needs to go.   His music is so uplifting, happy and inspirational!!   David is definitely a "diamond in the rough!"  His fans are so blessed with his "gift" of music and heart!!

SO true! You definitely get David ;) Gotta love him! <3