She is a Gem | Teen Ink

She is a Gem

By TanGem PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
TanGem PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Love is not a feeling; it is a gift, an act, an ultimate sacrifice. -Me (Em)

A gem in the dust possesses the same captivating beauty as the gem flaunted in the casino.

The gem in the casino will pass through many hands, and one day it will be carelessly cast aside or lost forever. For a brief, fleeting instant, she catches the eye of the crowds, reveling in the power of her beauty. But in the end, she is hopeless, and she suffers in darkened loneliness forever. It is in complete and endless pain that she wishes for death to come.

The gem who waits patiently in the dirt may wait for many long and silent years. But the gem's hope does not die, for she knows herself, and knows that she is beautiful.

One day, she will be desired, sought out, and pursued passionately by the man who treasures. He will find her only after searching the hidden places, places where the silly, lustful crowds do not care to go.

He will bring her out to the sunlight, with gentle hands. He will handle her cautiously, so as to not scrape and mar her perfect heart. This gem will utterly captivate him with her gentle, quiet spirit-- the unfading mark of true beauty. He will keep her forever, a quiet secret, and never cease to delight in such a treasure.

Darling, you are a gem.
But what kind of gem you choose to be is up to you alone.

This piece is a parable dedicated to the single woman, with the hope of inspiring her to wait for true love. Discussion is welcome!