What is the Difference Between Democrats and Republicans? | Teen Ink

What is the Difference Between Democrats and Republicans?

By HarleyBoy SILVER, Wells, Maine
HarleyBoy SILVER, Wells, Maine

During lunch yesterday, one of my friends said “What is the difference between Democrats and Republicans? I don’t even know which one I am.” This led me to ask some of the other kids at my table, and I came to a somewhat shocking revelation—most teenagers do not know which political party they support. Many don’t even know what types of political parties there are, let alone which they support. Therefore, I decided to write this comparison to show some of the key differences between Republicans and Democrats, also referred to as Conservatives and Liberals, respectively.

There are some distinct principles that distinguish Republicans from Democrats, but you should know that these are just general aspects of each party--as always, there are exceptions.

Republicans believe in a small Federal Government, and less government power--Federal Government means Washington, DC and Congress. Basically, Republicans believe that State's should hold the power to make budgets for things like school and education, as well as other parts of the state budget. Democrats on the other hand believe that this power should rest with congress. Most Republicans disagree because people in Washington DC shouldn’t be allowed to make the budget and laws for people in faraway places like Utah--that power should rest with the state congress. Essentially, Republicans want a larger Federal Government when it comes to budgets, and larger for social aspects—and it the exact opposite for Democrats.

Another distinguishing factor is stance on military. Traditionally, Democrats believe in a smaller military, and are into things like the United Nations--they want to solve conflicts peacefully. This explains why Obama, a democrat, is destroying our Nuclear Weapons. Republicans would rather invade like Ronald Reagan or George Bush, they believe the military is more of a power that should be exercised. This means Republicans would usually want to spend more on the National Defense, and Democrats would rather reduce the military budget.

Taxation is also a distinguishing factor, but there are many exceptions to this generalization. Obama, who announced this a couple of weeks ago, is in favor of taxing the rich citizens (making over 250,000 dollars a year as a family) a larger percent than the poor and middle class. You may have heard of the Bush Tax Cuts--this is when George Bush reduced taxes on the rich who were paying a larger percent of their money to the government than the poor and middle class.

This also goes into the whole socialism aspect that many people have said Obama takes part in. Republicans are called conservatives, and this usually means that they are more for everyone for themselves. Democrats, or liberals, are usually in favor of taxing the poor less, and of healthcare for people who cannot afford it--this is known as Obamacare, which was repealed because it was considered unconstitutional. Republicans would rather everyone “fend” for themselves, and not have their tax dollars being used to pay for someone who is on welfare.

There is also the religion issue. This is not as distinguishing. Traditionally, Republicans are largely Christian, but there are exceptions. Democrats are largely Christian as well, however the majority of atheists and pagan people are typically liberal or democratic. Or both!

While I am a Republican/Conservative, I attempted to write this piece as middle of the road as possible.

Prissy268 said...
Rather interesting definitions. Thank you for nice article

Doze said...
Good one keep it up

erin said...
  if you want to add specifics about President Obama, then you may want to not "guess" and use something like this - giving credit to the source (Democrats.org) which talks a little about some of the legislation he's enacted or supported. And in 2008, Americans turned to Democrats and elected President Obama to reverse our country's slide into the largest economic downturn since the Great Depression and undo eight years of policies that favored the few over the many. Under President Obama's direction and congressional Democrats' leadership, we've reformed a health care system that was broken and extended health insurance to 32 million Americans. 2010 PATIENT PROTECTION AND AFFORDABLE CARE ACT After decades of trying and despite unanimous opposition from Republicans, President Obama and Democrats passed comprehensive health reform into law in March 2010. The Affordable Care Act will hold insurance companies accountable, lower costs, expand coverage, and improve care for all Americans. We've reined in a financial system that was out of control and delivered the toughest consumer protections ever enacted. We've reworked our student loan system to make higher education more affordable and won the fight for equal pay for women. We passed the Recovery Act, which created or helped to save millions of jobs and made unprecedented investments in the major pillars of our country. From America's beginnings to today, people have turned to Democrats to meet our country's most pressing challenges—and pave the way for a future that lifts up all Americans.   (You could look up and do the same for Republicans again, not "guessing" or stating more of your opinion (though the way is stated - you present it as fact rather than opinion)  For example, Republicans and military "wanting to go to war" I think if you brought that sentence to some top Republicans they'd take issue with that.  Yes, Republicans typically have a larger defense budget or desires - but I'm not sure "going to war" or overstepping diplomacy using United Nations is quite accurate.  That's what one might hear if they watch FOX news or more of a stereotype.  I'd call Washington - get a quote from a real Republican rep!  It would make your writing stronger.    

Erin said...
  I copied the below from the Democratic National website.  While you aim and with great passion (which is admired) to correctly describe a democrat, I think the below better describes it.   If you want to start getting specifics - then, as a journalist, or writer, you really should use facts (and state from where) and quotes to support your argument or point of view.  Because I think it's important for teenagers or anyone unfamiliar with a democrate to get an "official" response as well as someone's opinion or best guess as to what defines a democrat.     --------Democrats believe that we're greater together than we are on our own—that this country succeeds when everyone gets a fair shot, when everyone does their fair share, when everyone plays by the same rules. Our party, led by President Obama, is focused on building an economy that lasts—an economy that lifts up all Americans. That's why Democrats are working to advance issues like job creation, education, health care, and clean energy—and you'll find all the information you need on these important issues right here on Democrats.org.

Anon said...
No, "Obamacare" was not repealed. Which is not the only error in this article - which I assume is supposed to be amusing ?  It is! I