What a kiss means | Teen Ink

What a kiss means

By Brooklynn SILVER, Lake Villa, Illinois
Brooklynn SILVER, Lake Villa, Illinois

"life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how i react to it" John Maxwell

Today I met some very interesting girls. I had a important contest today and two of the girls I have known since 6th grade. The other two were strangers to me except for the rumors I hear about them. Needless to say I was frightened to hang out with these two girls. As we sat down in a library waiting for our scores to come back and wondering whether we made it to state or not. Someone struck up a game of never have I ever. Which consists of everyone putting up 10 fingers and going in a circle and saying something you have never done. If you have done it then you put a finger down and the person with the most fingers in the end wins. As these girls went round and round and I played along in this time passing game, the game became about our sexual lives. One of the girls that I did not know asked if anyone has had sex. All four girls dropped one finger; these two girls I have known for 4 years dropped one also. I was mortified. These girls range from 15 to 17 years old and then came the question of how many? I said none and the lowest number of people was 3, and the highest a six. As the girls went around saying the names of these guys and sometimes forgetting their names or they have never known their names. I was thinking in my head “is this school has come to?” meeting boys just so that you can hook up with them? I was surprised by what I heard during this conversation and when they asked me if I had done anything with a guy ranging from going all the way to some even nastier stuff. Then one girl said “ I can’t even remember how many guys I have kissed anymore, or even kisses that were special to me. They don’t mean anything to me anymore. Kisses don’t represent anything because I believe that when you love someone you go all the way with them.” As I stared in shock as all these girls agreed, I thought wow I didn’t know. I thought that kisses meant that you felt something stronger then friendship for someone, I think that the kisses I get are special and I hold them to my heart. They represent someone caring for me; someone saying that they are willing to let themselves get hurt to be with me. These girls today put things into perspective for me, that no matter what happens in my life, im proud to be who I am. I may not be perfect but I know that I love myself and my health enough to not want to do that to my body. I want to save my body for the one person who is going to want me forever, not just one night or one week. My quest is to tell girls around the world that they are beautiful and that they don’t need to have sex and sell their bodies to be loved.

tell someone that they are beautiful everyday