Twelve Things Guys Should Know About Girls | Teen Ink

Twelve Things Guys Should Know About Girls

September 4, 2011
By musicfan PLATINUM, South Holland, Illinois
musicfan PLATINUM, South Holland, Illinois
38 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"...in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world."


First, I want to start by saying that these facts may not apply to all girls, but they do to most of them. I got these facts from experience, friends' experiences, books, movies, and from what I heard, so I’m almost positive that all of them are true. It might be wise to actually listen, not just read, to what I have written for you. I’m only trying to help. And these aren’t facts that are the obvious stuff you should already know—don’t cheat on a girl or don’t treat her like crap. No, these are the ones that you’re confused on or are hidden from your adolescent minds.

1.
Guys who talk nonstop about themselves are considered conceited jerks in our book that we don’t like at all. We get bored within the first three minutes of the conversation. So, in other words, stop talking about yourself and your greatness and realize that other people actually exist!
2.
All girls, myself included, search for hot guys, but we still focus on the personality. So don’t that just because you have the hot bod and the nice face means you have the okay to feel us up or do anything other than have a civilized conversation.
3.
Stop playing video games! Yes, I’m talking to you, boys, who go over to your girlfriend’s house and play video games with her brothers the whole time. Or when she comes over to your house and you ignore her and her attention needs by playing Halo. GIRLS WANT ATTENTION. So get off your lazy butts and point your eyes at the girl you say you like instead of at the TV screen.
4.
Some of us girls suck at sports, so instead of laughing your faces off it would be nice to show us how to play. But a lot of us can play sports and are good, so don’t be a sore loser when we beat you.
5.
We tend to see every little thing that’s wrong with our appearance, so please guys, compliment us and tell us we’re beautiful, even if you have to lie. We will appreciate it.
6.
If you ask for a girl’s number and she actually gives it to you then call. Don’t wait a week and a half, making the girl squirm with anticipation. It makes her think she’s ugly or not worth liking. So she ends up staring at the phone, waiting for you to call, giving her social life a big kick in the butt. CALL RIGHT AWAY!
7.
Don’t lead a girl on. If you don’t like her then tell her or say you just want to be friends because she will not notice. Say you’re best friends for a year and she falls in love with you. You take a dare and kiss her or someone tells you that you two are a great couple (even though you’re not dating) and you just laugh. Now she thinks you like her. Hint to her that you just like her as a friend, because if you don’t she’ll be crushed and never want to talk to you again. Yes, it’s overdramatic, but that’s just how we are.
8.
We are bipolar. I know you guys have a hard time figuring us out, and believe me, you never will. Our emotions change very quickly; it’s just a fact of life. So next time you want to blame it on PMS so you could avoid talking to us for a whole week, suck it up and think again.
9.
Just because we flirt doesn’t mean we like you. Some girls flirt because it’s fun and they like to play around. Others don’t even know they’re flirting. So guys, if a girl is flirting with you, it doesn’t mean they like you.

10. Say or do something every once in a while to show that you care. Girls want to know if her guy still likes/loves her, and she can’t tell if you never show it. So tell her you love her every day or that you care about her. Write her a song or something and sing it to her. Give her flowers on your date. Girls will love you more for it, I’m telling you.

11. Girls love presents and we always will. Sure, we like it when you give us a gift card, but we love things from the heart. You could play a song for the girl you care about or go out in the middle of the football field, announcing to everyone your love for her. Come up with something creative. Yeah, it might be kind of embarrassing, but we would really feel loved and appreciate it, even if we don’t show it.

12. Girls like it when you act yourself. If you’re a geek (smart person who likes school) then be a geek, don’t try to act like a jock (an athlete). If you’re a jock don’t try to act like a drama freak (freak meaning you like drama) or a musician just to get the girl. Come on, guys, we’re not stupid. We can tell when you’re tricking us, pretending, or whatever other word you want to use to say that you’re being fake.


The author's comments:
Guys, are you confused about girls? Do you not get them? Do you want to know why girls get so angry when you do something that you think is totally normal? Then it's time to read this essay, twleve true facts guys should know about girls. You might want to read this. It might help you on the lady's man scale... or it might not.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 18 comments.


Logan said...
on May. 13 2017 at 12:46 am
Darling (has to be 10 characters)

Logan said...
on May. 13 2017 at 12:44 am
It's not used as an adjective. It is used as a subject complement which is a noun.

Fire_ said...
on Nov. 27 2016 at 11:52 pm
Fire_,
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
why would you even read this if u already know this stuff anyway I would trust a girl to know what goes on in a girls confusing mind(No offense girls)

Boss said...
on May. 28 2016 at 11:23 am
Hey just want to let every guy know that if u follow this u will suck at getting girls, u know why, because this was written by girls, they don't know what atttracts them and what they want, if u pay attention to the master dating coaches like Jason Capital and Trip Advise u will know that this article if absolutely wrong, following these u will come out as that "nice guy" which doesn't get laid and ends up in the friend zone.
Peace ✌️, I'm out!

on May. 22 2016 at 11:14 pm
ambivalent SILVER, West Bend, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 180 comments

Favorite Quote:
everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. the worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. [sylvia plath]

bipolar isn't an adjective, darling.

UrMum146 said...
on May. 3 2016 at 4:22 pm
UrMum146,
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Well tbh either ur bipolar, or ur always way too mad.

on Feb. 17 2016 at 6:21 pm
midnightmetanoia PLATINUM, Gaithersburg, Maryland
39 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Soon madness has worn you down. It’s easier to do what it says than argue. In this way, it takes over your mind. You no longer know where it ends and you begin. You believe anything it says. You do what it tells you, no matter how extreme or absurd. If it says you’re worthless, you agree. You plead for it to stop. You promise to behave. You are on your knees before it, and it laughs."
— Marya Hornbacher

i'm sure this was not the intention of the article when it was posted, but i do feel that it is significant enough to merit acknowledgement "We are bipolar. I know you guys have a hard time figuring us out, and believe me, you never will. Our emotions change very quickly; it’s just a fact of life. So next time you want to blame it on PMS so you could avoid talking to us for a whole week, suck it up and think again." this paragraph in which you refer to girls as being bipolar because their emotions may not always be consistent and then back up your argument stating that it is simply a 'fact of life' really upsets me. for one thing not all girls are so fickle with their emotions as you make it seem which is a stereotype in and of itself, but to say that the entire female gender is bipolar is blatantly disrespectful. bipolar disorder is a mental illness characterized by extreme mood swings (i.e. manic periods followed by periods of severe depression) and is a very serious and difficult condition to live with. to suggest that all girls are bipolar not only effectively contributes to stereotypes/stigma surrounding mental illness but manages to diminish the struggles of those who suffer from the particular disorder. bipolar is not an adjective or a term to be used lightly it is a very real and very serious illness and needs to be recognized as such.

on Dec. 4 2015 at 7:54 pm
dizzypotato_202, San Bernardino, California
0 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your anger is like the bubbles in a can of soda. The more you're shaken, the more you want to let it all out. The longer you keep it in though, the greater the size of the eventual explosion- and the flatter the drink at the end." -Linkin Park

This is why she said it applies to most girls not some

AliinaEmilia said...
on Aug. 10 2015 at 5:07 pm
"Stop playing video games" actually no. I like watching my boyfriend play video games. And i spend a lot of time at my boyfriend's house, and he likes playing so i'd be kinda bitch if i told him not to play video games every time i'm around

Onavae said...
on Jul. 25 2015 at 2:26 pm
Onavae, Okota, Other
0 articles 0 photos 20 comments
Girls are not typically bipolar. The bipolar disorder is a very serious mental illness. Don't use it to describe people who have sudden mood changes.

on May. 2 2015 at 2:42 pm
I think I am way better at reaching a girls heart than most men... Don't get me wrong... I'm not a player... I just have issues telling if I like a girl or am just going through hormones.. Because of that I graduated... And I never got to REALLY have a heartfelt relationship with the girl I am now realizing I love... Any ways... The advice in here is bullcrap... NO two girls is the same... Even if 2 things between them are similar the rest is completely different... They all have individual needs... And quite a few of them HATE being herded and grouped up like cattle and compared to one another... Not to mention... Men have lives... They have needs... They are ALSO people... Also individuals with feelings and a heart... And if they did some of the mentioned things here they some men will most definitely still not get a companion... And even if they do... How long do you think a person can keep this up while not, at the very least, get a plain obvious and genuine thank you or I love you back?... You are way too naive.. Life isn't a movie... And girls AND guys vary in personalities, actions, and limitations.

Doug said...
on Feb. 4 2015 at 2:43 am
Ain't but half of this crap right it was made by a girl who only knows hot dudes simple as that she's prolly fine af and wants some JB wanna be learn to love without looks first then come to me like I have I understand girls more than the average man with a 180 IQ

Doug said...
on Feb. 4 2015 at 2:41 am
Yall don't ever date anyone long enough to get presents because it ends a week later yall all about looks all about body a dude who's chubby or big will love you more than someone else who has side whores yall dont ever consider a dudes feelings only if they DTF all the things you said would not apply to a dude you looking for cause all he wants is ass thighs and tits but yall to blind to see it

Doug said...
on Feb. 4 2015 at 2:38 am
I understand yall but it confuses me when you pick a hot dude over a dude who sits there takes your shit and still gets back on next day to talk to you hoping you will come around and like you but no never works cause you gotta have your Justin beiber don't you?

Doug said...
on Feb. 4 2015 at 2:29 am
As a matter of fact what you just said is a hot dude don't have the right to feel you up what it should have said is " no matter what you look like regardless of size or face if that man loves you why ain't you with him" right there only wants a hot dude sweetheart I gotta few things to tell you all you girls are the same every last one of you appearance shouldn't matter you ain't no Kim kardashian always about looks personality comes second pshhhhh learn how to love personality comes first

Doug said...
on Feb. 4 2015 at 2:25 am
Dude ain't gotta be hot makes me mad when someone says that I feel like your not a real woman but just a girl

yourface said...
on Dec. 9 2013 at 5:20 pm
Woooooooooooooow. Okay. Literal much? She wasn't classifying all guys as being like that. Most of this is pretty accurate. So k. Bye.

bcakex1 said...
on Aug. 19 2013 at 12:14 pm
basically you just told most of us guys to keep doing what weve been doing. my friends do the things youve said, and so do i. we realize that we should put her before ourself. but i agree and will admit that a lot of guys dont and its sad.

blank said...
on Jun. 4 2013 at 10:45 pm
Omg to Andrea THANK YOU, couldn't have said it better myself jesus!

andrea said...
on Jan. 30 2013 at 6:49 pm
This is one stereotype after another. You have now told boys that if they "play the part" any girl can fall for them. And not only that, but your final point about "being yourself" is a total contradiction. Maybe a guy is just really into himself. So, suddenly he's conflicted--should he talk less about himself, or should he be who he truly is? This may be good advice for any guy that wants to pick YOU up, but that doesn't mean it works for every girl, or even most girls. You even said you get your information from movies, books, and friends. That's ridiculous. What movies? Mean Girls? What books? Twilight? As a side note, stop watching so many chickflicks--no boy will ever stand in the middle of a football field and profess his love to you. That just won't happen.