...Or You Could Answer the Question... | Teen Ink

...Or You Could Answer the Question...

By Prometheus PLATINUM, East Aurora, New York
Prometheus PLATINUM, East Aurora, New York

Today my English teacher offered more sage advice. “When answering essay questions on the exam, you must remember not to answer them as essay questions.” Good idea. Aside from the fact that I have a mere 40 minutes to write this response, I must include specific components such as a thesis, topic sentences, and concrete examples, and the raters grade these as essay questions. What would he have me do? Perhaps draw an entertaining comic strip? Write my response in code? In blood? Possibly backwards? Sorry, no. I must answer the prompt not as an essay question, but it must contain all the components required for an essay question response. Ah, I see now. I must include a paradox. No? Then how about a themed song? A poem? A wall chart describing the effect of fluorine on the teeth of babies? No again? What? What's That? You want me to write an essay? Well now, why didn't you say so in the first place? Alright, here we go. In Rachel Carson's book, Silent Spring, the author- What? I can't begin an essay that way? Very well. Let's try this one. A wise man once said, “stars are big.” He was in fact- Wrong again? You must be joking. Too broad? A vague statement? Fine! Here I go. When in the course of human events, it- oops. Out of time.

Padfoot507 PLATINUM, Omaha, Nebraska

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
-Albus Dumbledore

"I'm just a little bit caught in the middle,
Life is a maze, and love is a ridde."
-Lenka

Hahaha this is great :) I love the mindless-babble-type stories. Nice job.

camohunter19 GOLD, Sedro-Woolley, Washington

"Girls are so queer you never know what they mean. They say No when they mean Yes, and drive a man out of his wits for the fun of it." "Violence is never the answer! It is a question, and the answer is yes."

Reminds me of I.

Mortimer-Micheals-Jacob-Joyce GOLD, Edgar, Wisconsin

"And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, So baby don't feel my pain
Just smile back"-Eminem

HAHA!  Awesome.