A Beautiful Balance | Teen Ink

A Beautiful Balance

By arcanine24 PLATINUM, Ventnor, New Jersey
arcanine24 PLATINUM, Ventnor, New Jersey

Everyone has a story; just some are more interesting to read than others.

In the beginning, the world was formless and void. As He glared out towards the impermeable darkness, creativity was born. On that first day, He sketched the outlines of the Universe; the Solar System, Milky Way, planets, etc. The creation of light became present. The next day, the great oceans, tectonic plates, and ozone layers were added to the illustration. This process continued until the Sun, stars, Moon, land, and, finally, the first sign of life was drawn; a tree. With admiration in his eyes, He began to duplicate his drawing until a full garden was created. He decided to name this garden Earth. When He realized that this treasure was too stunning to keep for Himself, generosity was born. He then hurtled monumentous measures of energy into the oceans without receding. FLASH, CRACK, SIZZLE! FLASH, CRACK, SIZZLE! FLASH, CRACK, SIZZLE! His actions came to a halt when a bubble emerged into view. He vigilantly watched over time as this bubble developed into a one-celled organism, then into a sea-creature, then into a sea-creature that sprouted feet and walked onto land, then into a creature that became bottom heavy and began to walk on two legs. As millions of years passed on, the bubble grew more advanced and He became more interested until it evolved into His greatest creation…the human. Creationism and Evolution both need to be fused together to accurately describe life. First and foremost, neither theory actually disproves the other. Subsequently, many people follow a side blindly before knowing what they’re committing to, or they change their beliefs because of their incontent. Last but not least, there is no such thing as a “psychic”. These two theories are like God and the Devil or the Sun and the Moon; without each other, they wouldn’t exist.
For starters, the theory of Creationism doesn’t disprove Evolution, and vice versa. According to Wikipedia.com, Creationism is the theory that God created the universe. According to Dr. Luxembourg of Princeton University, Evolution is the theory that humans are developed descendents of lower life forms. Where in these statements can you find information that deems the other fake? Some scientists like to fight that the idea of Intelligent Design, before it was modified, stated that the Earth was flat and 2000 years old. This is true, but scientists also believed that fruit flies could spontaneously generate from slices of decaying horse meat. The definition of theory, according to Webster Dictionary, is “a statement used for understanding, explaining, and making predictions about a given subject matter that may change over time as new data is available.” This demonstrates how all theories are going to change as people learn new things. For those who say that believing is seeing, and that everything needs proof, I say this; some of the most intelligent people I've ever known were completely lacking in common sense. Maybe, some people need to believe in something. Who knows? Maybe, just believing in God makes God exist.
As you stand over the black marble funeral coffin, you take every detail of Jessie into your mind, knowing this will be the last time you ever see her sun-streaked blonde hair again. You interlock your hands with hers, knowing that this will be the last time you ever feel her warm grasp again. Knowing that your time is ticking away, you hover over her smooth, creamy skin, bend down, and enjoy your last kiss as the pallbearers lay her casket in the Delaware Bay. As Jessie’s body drifts away, you reach around your neck, yank the golden chain from your bare throat, and throw it to the ground. With tears in your eyes, you desert the scene, desert your love, and desert the 6 carat gold inscribed Crucifix in the grass. May our love forever be as strong as our fate- love Jessica. Many people change their ideals over tragic moments in their life, without actually thinking what they’re committing to. According to a recent poll on Lifetime.com, 17% of all visitors to the site claim that they have different beliefs than they did when they were being raised. Out of these people, 74% say that they changed religions after a tragic event in their lives (Death of a loved one being the #1 reason, followed closely by divorce). “I didn’t feel like anyone was listening to my prayers.” Said Ashley Weiner of Lima, Ohio. Research shows that many people basically give up on Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. because they feel like they have been abandoned by their God. Just because God doesn't answer your prayers doesn't mean he doesn't care about you. God can't just answer every prayer and suddenly give you everything you want. That takes all the living out of life. Now, don’t think that Atheists and Realists aren’t guilty as well. Sometimes, these groups crave something to believe in so badly that they believe just about anything. The truth is that we’re all looking for answers; however, answers will find us eventually.
As you stand outside a NYC skyscraper, waiting for your chance to enter the building, you begin to have those familiar thoughts seep into your mind and infect it with fear. For years, you have woken up in a cold sweat thinking about it, and you can’t take it anymore…you must know the truth. When the doors of the lobby open, you sprint through them and towards a stout man selling tickets. Even though your friends had warned you of the scam, you can’t resist. You empty the contents of your wallet into the ticket master’s bony hand and blow your entire life savings with eight odious words.
“One for Crossing Over with John Edward, please.”
No one can predict the future. According to a recent study in Time Magazine, there are nineteen vastly practiced religions in the world, but there are actually 91 documented religions, including but not limited to Christianity, Hinduism, and Atheism. This means that there are many different interpretations of life. Yes, they may be complex, but they all have the same morals; love thy neighbor, respect thy world, treasure thy life. The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us. For example, we all know the world will end someday. In the Christian Church, this is described as Armageddon, or Jesus’s second coming. However, in the Atheist Religion, the end of the world is described as when the Sun will burn out, and life will cease to exist on Earth. According to a recent poll from Atlantic City, 72% of all of its citizens are confused about the true cause of the end of the world. No one can tell what exactly will happen, which is why we need to have faith and knowledge, before it’s too late.

We need to benefit both from Creationism and Evolution to have the best grasp on life. First off, the two theories could fit together like a Mattel puzzle if we let them. Second, many people don’t see the true essence of each theory. Finally, the plain simple truth is that nobody is psychic, so no one can tell you that you are wrong in what you believe. However, at the end of the day, science, nor religion have anything to do with it. We as a species are the curious type. Yes, science has lead us this far, but understand we are also a species of greed, hatred, and like any other life form on earth….very territorial. Religion is what keeps us contained, keeps mankind fearful. Without it, sin, evil, whatever you wish to call it would run over this earth. Like every law or formula we use in science and math, mankind and life need a rubric as well. We also need to understand that it’s not all “ok, god created everything.” It’s finding out who we are, what we are capable of, and where it can lead us, which we can achieve through science. Yet again, just because something can’t be explained through science doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Tell me…. have you ever seen gravity ever pull down on a ball? I haven’t, but science tells us that it’s there. What you are doing when you watch an apple fall from a tree is believing. So let those and yourself believe what they like; you cannot enforce it, nor can you establish it. We are all different, and will have our own faiths and beliefs, whatever they might be, science or religion, because at the end, they both are the same… our beliefs! To reach a peak of wisdom, we need to merge Creationism and Evolution, aka religion and science, together to form the strongest view on life. The big questions in life are tough: why are we here? Where are we from? Where are we going? But if people don’t see the full story of both sides, then they are never going to find the real answers to those questions, thereby slowing down the progress of all mankind. Today is the day we make a change as a nation; be tolerant, be scientific, and be religious.