Magic Words | Teen Ink

Magic Words

April 22, 2008
By Anonymous

Eight years ago, I had two all-time favorite words: story time. At that time, they were my motivation for getting through school, doing my homework, and eating my vegetables. That was my favorite expression because they meant reading books and spending time with my family, both of which I adored. Story time was a nightly ritual in my house. My sister and I would change into our pajamas, pick out two picture books each, and snuggle in our comfy position in my parents’ bed with our dad sandwiched between us. I remember how I used to love the way my dad’s voice sounded as he was reading, excited and loud at the funny parts but soft and tender at the sad parts or touching parts. I never realized that the books I read then would have such important messages that I could learn from today.

The one book I would pick out every single night was The Magic Locket. A gold locket came with it, and every night while we read it I’d hold it close to my heart. “I believe in you,” I would whisper along with the book while I peered into the tiny mirror inside the locket, “I believe in you.” The Magic Locket taught me to have confidence in myself, and to believe that I could do anything I wanted to do. Every time I read it I’d feel so joyful inside. I would imagine everything I could do and look forward to the future. I felt so encouraged, and I’d fantasize about the exceptional grades I could receive, the soccer games I could win, and the ballet recitals I could star in. The words would give me enough confidence to be able to try new things. They gave me motivation to work hard at what I did.

The Magic Locket was one of what seemed like hundreds of books read during the story time tradition. Books became a part of me – my main hobby as a young child was reading. But more importantly, they helped me develop my character. The lessons I learned and the memories made during story time could never be surpassed.