That Day | Teen Ink

That Day

By Evagline.Brisa.Wilder GOLD, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Evagline.Brisa.Wilder GOLD, Collegeville, Pennsylvania

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
-Albert Einstein

On 9/11 my mom was typing at her desk. At the same time, she was talking to her Dad on the phone, and he told her to turn on the news! My mom was filled with unhappiness. When she picked me up from preschool, she found me in a high fever and gave me grape Motrin. I had a terrible reaction, and she took me to the ER; she remembers that it was an unbelievably surreal afternoon. Her reaction was mixed emotions of shock, anger, horror, and great sadness. “It was a perfect day, until this tragic news took the last of my innocence away,” she told me. Afterwards, the horror and sadness never seemed to end from the moment my mom heard the news. For weeks she would keep hitting the reload button on the websites that kept her up to date on the people who made it, were found missing, or were horribly injured. She remembers the planes flying into the Twin Towers, and the Twin Towers falling into themselves, over and over again on the television screen. She remembers the continuous sound of sirens through New York City. Watching the television, my mom would gasp at the dust, smoke, reporters, and utter chaos. People to this day still have memories, whether good or evil. My mom has made me realize the great importance of 9/11 in history and to my life.