Destroying the World | Teen Ink

Destroying the World

By AliceAngel DIAMOND, Shreveport, Louisiana
AliceAngel DIAMOND, Shreveport, Louisiana

This brick wall I tried so hard to build, is tumbling down. - Me (AliceAngel)

If drama were vodka, everyone at my school would be drunk. - Chloe, one of my friends.

This world is being destroyed.

The advanced technology is destroying the people who inhabit this world and therefore they’re destroying the world itself.

Why do we insist on creating more and more technology?

Do we want to be less smart than we are now?

Technology used to be something I didn’t care a whole lot about, and then I got my own laptop with internet that I could use whenever I’d like. I started using this newfound technology more and more, homework being erased from my “Top Priority” list. And now I’m such a procrastinator that I don’t even start my homework until 10 at night. I used to start at maybe 9 at night, or 8, but now I’m so focused on my technology that homework is at the front of my mind, but it’s pushed back til the last minute.

Technology is going to destroy the world.

I’m sure of it.

No one is going to care anymore, and so the movie “Wall-E” is going to turn into a reality. We’re all going to be fat, ignorant people. We will have machines that do our work for us. We’re going to all wear the same outfits, lounging around on floating chairs, watching whatever we’d like on invisible screens that may not really be there, just a projection.

Our world will be a junkyard and no one will want to live there. No one will want to work out. No one will want to stay in shape. No one will care.

Today, everything is so expensive, and it’s just not right!

Why can’t we be like the aliens that inhabit the humans in Stephenie Meyer’s “The Host”, where we don’t have to pay for anything and everyone is friendly towards the other and there is no hatred?

It’s because we’re humans.

It’s because of our human nature.

This is why we’re destroying the world.

We have an instinctive that causes us to want to rule over everything and everyone and raise the prices and such things like that.

Next thing we know, the world is going to be on fire and millions of people are going to be dead.

World War III will have started…

And things will be getting worse.

Is there a way to stop the procession of technology? Can we hold up a stop sign and have everyone stop thinking about technology and have them thinking of the old-time things that we used to have? Can we go back to type-writers? Can we go back to horse-drawn carriages? Can we go back to the men always wearing suits and the women always wearing dresses?

I want to go back in time.

I don’t want to live here anymore.

I don’t want technology to be here.

I don’t want to live on a planet inhabited by technology-driven people.

I want to live on a planet where technology doesn’t exist and everything is free and everyone gets along and no one cares who you are, what you’re like, or what you look like.

Can this planet magically change into one of peace?

Can we all just get along?

Can I write something so inspiring that something in this world is changed?

This is really how i feel about the world today. I don't know how to write down all of my feelings, mainly because i can't come up with the worlds and partly because i don't know what i'm feeling half the time.