Taboo | Teen Ink

Taboo

By Wontgiveup17 PLATINUM, Bloomington, Illinois
Wontgiveup17 PLATINUM, Bloomington, Illinois

Life beats down and crushes the soul but art reminds you that you have one. -Stella Adler
He who lives upon hope will die fasting.
-Benjamin Franklin
If you're absent during my struggle. Don't expect to be present during my success.

These plastered smiles fill the dim halls, people thrown to the walls, beat till they fall to the ground, they still don't make a sound. So every cry is pushed to the back of their minds only to escape when no one's around. Everybody seems so blind to the problems and crimes that which I address in this rhyme; so they're spoken... taken only as a token to pay for the help of the broken, the ones feeling forgotten, lost, hearts stolen by prevaricating tongues, that if only were made of glass would people be careful enough with their words as to look past the darling imperfections that make us human. Because we. Are. Human.

We are not our struggles or our pain or just a piece in someone else’s game, we are not the little white pills being popped to keep us sane. And yet, these topics are said to be taboo, but who are they supposed to turn too when they feel so far from new to this shame.
Girls looking for love in all the wrong places, feeling as if they've fallen from grace, while the men save face in this twisted place we call society, and they construct this false idea of beauty. Where as little girls would once count the stars now count calories and ask that pane of metal and glass called a mirror, “Who would love me...?” All from an unattainable set goal for a false reality.

People bullied into silence because of their skin and their highest grade because in this world you have to be perfect for people to make you feel worth it. These comments and statement, bullies and racist, these degrading words that make you feel worse and worse are said all to carefree without thinking who it might be effecting.

People growing up too fast because of what has happened to them in the past. The parent's babies are having babies and maybe it wasn't their choice but we wouldn't know because the world shakes their voice till it's quiet. So they are teased as if it was their fault, blamed, ridiculed, taunted, so by this their thoughts will be haunted for life.

Then there are the kids that breathe strife, praying for a different life. Not fearing Hell cause they feel they've done their time already, can't keep their words steady when they take that knife to scar their way to happiness. Know that it's not just a metaphor for their heart but a reflection on parts of their flesh. So these kids hide their bruises and scars, making makeshift bandages for their hearts. Kids sent to an early grave for fear of what they have and will face when the sun rises for another day.

Little boys watching their fathers turn people into punching bags, so on their love they lay a hand thinking that's what makes a man.
Little girls skipping meals because they feel they aren't good enough for the real world.

When did things go from tying shoe laces to ropes, from pulling pranks to triggers, feeling like there's no hope? But there is always hope.
At times the light at the end of the tunnel may seem nothing more than a passing train but all the same it could be a hand to pull you back to where you can stand on two feet again.

But these taboo topics are said in fear of the judgment they will face because everybody thinks they are defined by their mistakes. So they hold their tongue and bite their lip to make sure they don't slip and say “I'm not okay?” the temporary words to describe a place not a lifetime so I made this rhyme to get my point across, that things will get better because everyone is worth more than some simple letters pieced together to pronounce TABOO...

So many people go through these struggles alone because society teaches them not to talk about it. I wrote this spoken word to speak out on all things considered "taboo".

Ariel_Fluffyy SILVER, Los Angeles, California

"You May Encounter Many Defeats But You Must Not Be Defeated" By- Dr. Maya Angelou

I really liked it. You did a great job. 

Poetintraining BRONZE, La Mesa, California
WOW this really feels like you put thought into it, great thoughts on these very real issues. Keep up the good work

HudaZav SILVER said...
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

I'm glad you addressed this topic, because it is very important to talk about it. Nice work, I can feel the emotions and words flying off the screen

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

I'm really glad, there are still people who talk about this. I loved it, and it was great. This is great, and I hope you know it. Thank you, for sharing this.  (P.S.) would it be alright, if you could check out poems, and leave comments or rates? If not that's fine. 

on Jun. 5 2014 at 9:41 am

-Benjamin Franklin

Thank you so very much for the feedback, it is a big help!!

on Jun. 5 2014 at 9:38 am
SweetSorrow12 GOLD, Chicago Heights, Illinois

Maya Angelou:
My great hope is to laugh
As much as i cry to get
My work done and try to
Love somebody and have
The courage to accept the
Love in return

Wow i must say its a very brilliant piece indeed i loved how you talked about little girls skipping meals and how the little boys thinking hiting people is how they become a man. Another thing is i think you should have added a little bit of smiles but other than that its a very heartbreaking piece and i loved it.