We the People of the United States | Teen Ink

We the People of the United States

By THEGEEKYTECH BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
THEGEEKYTECH BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma

We the People of the United States... This iconic line starts off the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights was written to give people rights to live in their new nation, to give them freedom. The first amendment is the most important because it establishes the exact reason puritans came to America in the first place for: freedom of religion, speech, press, and assembly.

Stop for a moment and think, what would America be like if we didn’t have freedom of press? All of our press would be controlled by the government and we would only know what the government wanted us to hear. For an example lets say there was a big gang shooting in New York. The government could make everyone not say that it happened and not tell the rest of the country. People could not know that they lost loved ones. Americans would not know what is going on in other countries. We would be in the dark and could do nothing about it because we don’t have freedom of press of the news, we don’t have freedom of speech so forget your cellphones and social media and don’t even think about another kind of religion because the leader will want you to have their type of religion hands down. Life would keep on going but we wouldn’t know if it was going well or not.

We the people of the United States wanted a place where we know what is going on. We didn't’ want someone holding our hand the whole way. We want to be ourselves because each of us is a little different and different is what changes the world. If the Wright brothers hadn’t dreamed of flying where would our planes be? If Ben Franklin hadn’t flown a kite in a lightning storm where would electricity be? If the pilgrims hadn’t wanted freedom of religion, press, speech, and assembly where would the United States of America be?

I was inspired to write this because what if we didn't have the constitution.