An Opinionated Case for Space | Teen Ink

An Opinionated Case for Space

May 20, 2014
By ncurcio6 BRONZE, Smithtown, New York
ncurcio6 BRONZE, Smithtown, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Generations ago, Americans were –pun intended- over the moon for space exploration. People from all corners of the world stood in awe of our valiant and indomitable spirit, our quest into the great beyond. However, in recent years, space exploration has taken a backseat to more terrestrial matters. What gives? Space exploration has been labeled taboo in today’s society; rubbish, the stuff of nerds. Consequentially, its financial support is waning, pushed aside for big business bailouts and the likes. But the fact is, we need NASA (and especially privatized spaceflight companies) more than ever.

Literally speaking, space exploration can yield tremendous benefit. The most obvious example of this is the technological advance we have already seen as derivatives from NASA's works. It is difficult to imagine a world without Mapquest and modern computers. However, it is quite possible that we would not have these technologies at the complexity we have them today without the space program. Although usually not their intended purpose, these “space technologies" find their way to spin off into civilian lives and better society.

The best way we can advance our knowledge of the universe and optimize our extraterrestrial development is to let the free market act upon it. An in any capitalistic venture, individual opportunity for gain will spur growth. This is already taking place among companies such as SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, and Bigelow Aerospace, where unprecedented concepts and missions are being planned and implemented (Space tourism? Take that NASA!). We as a society need to put advanced technology in the context of capitalism in order to ensure the expedited growth of the field.
However, figuratively speaking, space exploration does much, much more. It tickles and taunts us with the unknown. It makes us ponder the circumstances of our very existence. The universe holds vast and unknown benefits, more important than our individual problems and our problems as a nation, perhaps more so than we can comprehend. The philosopher Socrates offered the world these words of wisdom that apply now more than ever, "The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing." Why are we here? Are we alone? You and I may never know, but our children will, and that starts with you. In our inexplicably vast universe, we are but a microscopic blip on the cosmic radar. The universe is a novel we have only just read the preface of.


The author's comments:
I am passionate about space exploration, and we cant sacrafice its resources!