A Lifelong Puzzle | Teen Ink

A Lifelong Puzzle

By TaylorBradshaw BRONZE, Andover, Kansas
TaylorBradshaw BRONZE, Andover, Kansas

Everything begins with a why. Before someone can begin to comprehend or even acknowledge something, they must know the purpose of it. When we are young children, everything is new to us. We don't know anything at all, but because we wonder, we learn. When someone wonders something, they develop a theory. "Why is the sky blue?" Becomes exactly that. Even the least plausible theories still help to develop the brain, because the conclusion of most undeveloped theories is "I don't know." So what does someone do then? More often than not, they ask a question. When the get an answer, a little piece of a huge puzzle is locked into place in their mind. Life itself is an ongoing puzzle, constantly being built but never to be finished. All of the prices are there, but some don't exactly show up when we need them. Imagine a puzzle with a missing piece. The piece isn't really missing; it is somewhere, probably not far but even in the least likely scenario it is somewhere in the universe, floating around and waiting to be found. Some pieces are just harder to find than others. Some may never be found at all. But here I am anyways, scouring the earth for those pieces that are far out of reach. If someone hasn't found it yet, someone might come along later and pluck up the piece to share it with everyone else. But some pieces just won't be found, and never will. The little edge pieces are the first to come along, but at the core of the puzzle, the very meaning of life, although it is out there somewhere, was never meant to be found. But us humans are not knowledgeable enough to understand. We go along anyways on a never ending journey to find the secrets that will never be shared. Why do we do this? Because we have stubborn, almost obsessive persistence to make meaning to things that seem unexplained. It is the first why that starts our life, and the last why that ends it. When we are out of whys, we have our personal story made into a new piece of the puzzle for others to find. We drift off into heaven to learn the answers, to achieve our lifelong goal. That is the meaning of life, or at least what I believe. But how should I know? I'm only human!