Don't Forget the Intorverts | Teen Ink

Don't Forget the Intorverts

By linnchaplin GOLD, Fort Lee, New Jersey
linnchaplin GOLD, Fort Lee, New Jersey

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. The important thing is not to stop questioning. The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education. -Einstein

Why are extroverts glorified? In an age where the self-image is merchandise, it is inevitable that “go-getters” steal the limelight on the personality spectrum. You are an editor of a magazine and you want an outgoing and creative person who incorporates style and wit in her work and life. Or you are a history teacher who may gravitate towards the outspoken student whose charisma lifts the spirits of his peers. We seek extroverts for assurance because their very presences broadcast enthusiasm. Positive energy is contagious, so we become invigorated. This is why extroverts are glorified because when we glorify them we are also glorifying ourselves. It is a win-win situation.

Unfortunately, the limelight fails to acknowledge more than a third of the world’s population. On the opposite side of the spectrum is the Introvert. You enjoy being alone because you come up with fantastical or practical ideas. When luck and skills harmonize, you are quite the visionary. In fact, many of our favorite visionaries are introverts at heart. Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Audrey Hepburn, to name a few. Instead of rushing headstrong towards solutions, introverts take time to think and listen. They weigh the pros and cons whereas their counterparts are more motivated by their intuitions. Calculation versus gusto. Introverts deserve a spot, no, a substantial chunk in the limelight. Without perspicacity and patience, many great inventions and insights will be nonexistent.

Einstein once said, “I am a horse for single harness.” Let us glorify these soloists too.

Introverts wield quiet strength.