Where Does True Happiness Come From? | Teen Ink

Where Does True Happiness Come From?

I believe that true happiness comes from external factors. My number one reason is money. People say that money isn't happiness but who isn't happy when they get money? When someone is having financial struggles, that can cause them to be unhappy. Another reason happiness relies on external factors is because of relationships. Some people may be content without being in a relationship but many people become unhappy with themselves, others, or just feel lonely and unwanted without a significant other. One last reason happiness is based off what you have in life is because of losses. When a loved one or an animal passes away, it is very difficult to understand why that person left you even if it wasn't their choice. Death causes people to become unhappy.

For example, in Ethan Frome, both happiness and unhappiness are shown. His happiness depends on Mattie, his true love. This proves that happiness relies on other people and relationships. The fact that he cannot be with Mattie causes his unhappiness... no relationship. He could leave his wife for an attempt of being with her but there is no guarantee that they will be together or even a chance. Then he would completely ruin the reason he married Zeena in the first place, he was terrified of being alone. Whenever Ethan isn't around Mattie, he is unhappy because he starts to think about how is love for Mattie is hurting his wife. As said before, Mattie is Ethan's happiness and that isn't good because it causes conflict in his marriage and he also cannot have Mattie.

In the article, Happiness in Relationships, the author says " We never forget how to express our love. We just become so caught up in judgements, opinions, and reason that we don't take the time to do it." It is easy to fall or be in love with somebody, but expressing it can be extremely difficult. Ethan is in deep love with Mattie but he can't express it because of his marriage and he doesn't know how she would react to it. Fear is taking over his expression of love for Mattie. The author also states "... our mind starts to build false beliefs." One tiny little fact or thought can manipulate a million others. Ethan's love for Mattie can completely destroy his marriage. It is already affecting how Zeena feels which isn't fair to her, even if Ethan doesn't love her.

In a different article, Are You Trapped & Unhappy in Your Relationship?, the author says that "...there are deeper, unconscious ones that keep people trapped-usually fears of separation and loneliness." If people feel like they won't have someone for the rest of their lives they fear being alone which causes unhappiness. Ethan fears that if he leaves Zeena he still won't be able to have Mattie, his happiness. The reason he married Zeena in the first place was because he didmt want to be alone. The author also mentions that having a "provider" or a "homemaker". Ethan's wife provides for him although she knows that he is in love with Mattie.

In the end, happiness truly relies on external factors. Without money, you're unhappy. Without a significant other, you can easily become depressed. When you lose somebody, you can't quite understand why they were taken from you and it makes you upset. Peoples true happiness is based off what you have in life and who you have. When those things disappear or you become to struggle with regular life things, you become unhappy, and it's all because of what you have or don't have