Think Before You Speak | Teen Ink

Think Before You Speak

By ChiyoR BRONZE, Bronx, New York
ChiyoR BRONZE, Bronx, New York

Be honest: Did you remember to clean your mouth this morning? It would do you no justice to lie to yourself because you would end up creating a more pungent mess than what is at the moment contemporarily. If I didn't know any better, I would have assumed that the breath, which eases out of our lungs, is the inflammatory toxin polluting the earth.

Everyone and anyone is guilty. Forgetting to wash our mouths might as well be the simplest form of analogy that reflects our disregard towards moral hygiene. Why is that so? Since childhood we have been taught to be cautious of our actions and meticulous of our word choice and demeanor. This is not only the reason why rhetoric is crucial outside of school, but this is also why the greatest of problems are mitigated. There's this pause I like to call the "Time Warp Moment" in which you think before you speak. In this moment you have the briefest moments of introspection in your life where you weigh your options before releasing the breath trapped in your damp cavern. Whether your answer heats up the room with an overwhelming tension or a warm breeze depends on your words.  Why does this matter to us in the greater scheme of things?

Morality goes a long way. While our problems must simply be the front headline of the Times, we have to consider the influence of our words and how a million more lives would react: either with indifference or extreme passion. You will feel the difference; your morality, your humility and your capability to feel guilt will either crush you or lift you above your choices, above your "Time Warp Moment." From the worlds current state of being, however, I would assume that we humans can deal with the overwhelming pressure of our pugnacious words. A few more minutes at the sink seems reasonable.

Influences are predetermined. The problem is how we project our ideas. It is one thing to enjoy the freedoms that are given to us in terms of speech, thank you America, but it is another to spit fire show a pretty face, hoping for followers. What are we doing, America, when we allow unbelievably privileged men to deride our women with derogatory terms affiliated with their size, swine, and species. What do we expect when the sick guilt sinks in and eats us from the inside? A mind in the gutter is usually better than a gutter-mouth.

No one should be proud that they simply thought. Perhaps your daily oral regime was top-notch today. The question is why was it not at its best before the this morning? We you feeling just too lazy to care? The greatest of thoughts are usually unspoken, but what is humorous is how we build thoughts and ideas with such dexterous ability, yet our words are the tools that break others down. We think too hard to actually do good, but the damage is far less than it would be if we voiced those thoughts.

Desperation is a factor of verbal rashness. Impressing our teachers never felt so good in our youth. I can testify for that. It was in primary school and I had been rewarded a lunch with my favorite English teacher: Ms. P. Walking in the halls, engulfed in her bright smile and a halo of blond locks (or maybe it was the beaming sun behind her) as we headed to pick up the other children, she asked me for my favorite color. I told her it was pink, the little sycophant I was and she dropped the bomb: the color yellow.

For once, I felt so sick keeping up the front. I've always loved yellow, but we all know pink is a girl's favorite color. So, why was pink not her number one? I know myself, so why did I lie to make myself shine in the favor of the norm? What's the big deal? The worse of the situation is leaving person out there to assume I like pink somewhere, but to me I didn't give my "Time Warp Moment" chance. I let the thoughts of others outweigh my own.

Ultimately, time to us seems limited. We don't take the time to check ourselves. We don't take the time to clean ourselves. We don't rely on the angel on our left or the amount of conscience we have left, and thus say the wrong things. Taking two to three minutes to go over each orifice of your mouth doesn't cost you anything. If anything, it gives you more time to think through your actions and decisions. We don't try hard enough to give our thoughts time to breathe. It becomes to mess up in a terse amount of time.

Logically, we wouldn't have to justify if we didn't testify demise. The humorous thing is that these big problems have the simplest of solutions: don't keep your face like that or it will get stuck, always hold momma's hand when outside or you'll get stolen and, do everyone a favor and brush your teeth first thing after waking up. It saves everyone the possibility of a foul day.

This was an approach to taking a childhood concept and applying it to the greater scheme of things. Sometimes mom and dad did know what they were talking about.