WORK FOR A CAUSE OR APPLAUSE? | Teen Ink

WORK FOR A CAUSE OR APPLAUSE?

By Raveenasri BRONZE, Bangalore, Other
Raveenasri BRONZE, Bangalore, Other

We are stars wrapped in skin. The light we are seeking has always been within.

"Work for a cause, not applause,

Live to express, not impress"

These lines have always been a fascination for me.

What hurts me the most is the fact that the author of these lines is unknown :( These lines capture the necessity to being that ONE OF A KIND person whose presence is most sought after.

Today, one can instantly spot the fight b/w cause and applause almost anywhere and everywhere.

Long ago, When i was a 5th to 6th std student, I had heard this speech of Venkat Krishnan, an IIM Alumnus, Director of the NGO Give India Foundation.

He was in News and people were praising for his work for a cause.

Most of you might have heard about the ‘Joy of Giving Week’ celebrations that find national coverage in the Indian media each year. This week of giving is hosted by Give India Foundation which doesn’t do hands-on grassroots community work, but holds a unique position amongst Indian NGOs.

This organization for social change set up has been the recipient of many awards for their work in creating accountability in the area of donations.

And I was so very inspired by this person and wanted to do something like him. In fact, keen on working for a cause, just like him. At last I decided to work for a NGO. And I made this my ultimate objective that I am gonna do!

Maybe the reason was that, during those times of Primary Schooling, words likes Patriotism, idioms like “Do something for the country.. Dedication towards one’s country..Make your country proud” seemed pragmatic, appealing and convincing. And people like Mahatma Gandhi and Nehru stood as a role model. And even those so called DeshBhakth songs, poems and short stories in which the lead role does something and makes the country proud stood a great chance.

Although my parents considered my plans noble and worthwhile, they reminded me that I must have forgotten that I would be wired to no to be able to enjoy the “finer things in life” like driving nice cars, enjoying expensive meals, Owning a “aaram ki jindagi”etc. The example they had set for me was to work hard to provide a great lifestyle, and then volunteer for a cause.

On the go, I by hook or by crook, due to reasons unknown came across Vidya Balan. Apart from being a successful actor, she has also used her celebrity status in support of important humanitarian and charitable causes. In 2011, she endorsed the World Wide Fund for Nature-India’s Earth Hour campaign and since 2012, she has been the brand ambassador for Chotte Kadam Pragati Ki Aur, an initiative to promote children’s education. However, the campaign she is best known for is the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan. Moreover, she has been a strong advocate of women’s issues and gender rights.

Also there are others like Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Nafeesa Ali who are known for their social works.

So, Maybe it’s not only about being a part of NGO and money donations.

We surely can opt for any work; the matter is to make that work – A work for a good cause. And who knows that work of ours can become a matter of applause.

Now I realize that i wanted to work for a cause because of the applause people received by working for a cause. More than their work, their applauses seemed soothing.

Now I understand the value of Money, the Value of Name & Fame in society. I no more wish that desperately to be an NGO worker. Rather I found a way to fulfill my fascination of Working for a cause. An administrator who could still work for a cause! Maybe in the near future, i will be one among those proud people who are part of NGOs, spreading awareness, being a role model, Because i now appreciate these people a lot. And all i want to say is that –

Work for a cause in such a way that it receives applause. So the deal is to receive applause something that you have done for a good cause