Inspiration's Dissipation | Teen Ink

Inspiration's Dissipation

March 2, 2016
By EllaJ GOLD, Reinach, Other
EllaJ GOLD, Reinach, Other
13 articles 0 photos 6 comments

What is it?


It is everything and nothing: without a mind to contemplate it, inspiration does not exist.  The individual creates the inspiration, and so the power lies with them.


Where does it come from?


A conversation; a class; a message; an observation; an event; an experience; a chance happening.


How does it form?


It manifests in the mind, from a single passing thought into cognition, and then an image.  It grows until an entire storyline is formed, with intricate details laid out.  And it’s completely private: all within a single mind.


What happens to it?


Often, it evaporates.  Disappears, is lost, forgotten, neglected, pushed aside.  Very few are able to truly harness the idea, the creativity, the imagination.  Very few can apply this inspiration to something concrete, meaningful, revolutionary. 


Some believe creativity is just for a select few.  Some believe the insight of inspiration is a gift.  I disagree.  I think every single human on our planet possesses the ability to create.  Be it a machine, a painting, a family, a meal: each and every one of us has the skill to imagine.  To utilise those ideas, though, that stem from stimulus known as inspiration, is rare and atypical.  The act is not difficult, however society, moreover education, often prohibits this process from occurring.  We are taught to memorise as opposed to create; to understand rather than imagine – our creativities are squashed; looked down upon; restricted.  The inspiration that comes during a country stroll, a tiring train journey, a night-time dream is ignored.  The power of it being everything is overlooked – it remains to be nothing.


Action should come with inspiration.  Creation should accompany learning.  If this is the way things should be, why has our society become what it is today: bored, distracted and distrustful?  Instead of a chaotic, frenzied mind of notions and opinions, we are just… empty.