What Freedom Means to Me | Teen Ink

What Freedom Means to Me

By emilie32 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
emilie32 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“The dreams of people may differ, but everybody wants their dreams to come true. And America, above all places, gives us the freedom to do that.” This quote by Ronald Reagan written in Who was Ronald Reagan? by Joyce Milton, embodies the American dream and what it means to be an American.

From the billowing flag gleaming colors of red, white, and blue to the Statue of Liberty guarding our country. These symbols represent our nation and the freedom that we often take for granted. 

From the millions of immigrants that journeyed to America looking for a better life to the courageous men and women who fought tirelessly to protect our nation. These individuals signify the opportunities America has to offer as well as a military that will stop at nothing to preserve our freedom.

From the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance every morning to the fireworks that boom with the sound of freedom on July 4th. These traditions show the pride we take in our country.

America is a land where we are able to express ourselves freely while feeling secure and protected by our armed forces. Our independence binds us together to form one nation under God.