What Freedom Means to Me | Teen Ink

What Freedom Means to Me

By 7shanabarger PLATINUM, Sussex, Wisconsin
7shanabarger PLATINUM, Sussex, Wisconsin

Freedom is not given freely. The soldiers of our country fought brutal, bloody battles to get us the freedom we have today.

Not only have soldiers fought for our freedom; Martin Luther King Jr. fought for the rights of African Americans and Susan B. Anthony fought for the rights of women. Without these amazing Americans, America would not be what it is today; a free country.

As Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” Soldiers take steps of faith every day when they get out on that battlefield, uncertain of their arrival back home.

Our first soldiers did not see the whole staircase, but believed they were fighting for a country worth saving. Let’s make them proud of the country they fought for: a free country.

For the people who have lost their lives fighting for our freedom, we thank you.

For the people who did not get a chance to live in this free country, we thank you.

For the people who stood up for what they believed in and did not take inequality as an answer, we thank you.