What Freedom Means to Me | Teen Ink

What Freedom Means to Me

By wboelter GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
wboelter GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

The American Dream. One of our country’s greatest feats. Americans channel aspiration and achieve success, even in the face of failure. This is the poor, Italian man immigrating in the early 1900s, coming to America with the dream of a new life and an opportunity to create prosperity and promise.

Patriotism. The old-fashioned love for America and what she stands for. The willingness to defend the red, white, and blue when called upon. This is an 18 year-old fighting for his freedom in World War II, establishing respect across the globe for the citizens of our great country.

Unity. Americans stay together. Against a hostile world, every United States citizen is responsible to uphold the morals and pride of their great nation. This is President Ronald Reagan fighting to tear down the Berlin Wall, displaying the basic concept of freedom to the world.

“...Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” Out of these words came the defining traits of our country: the American Dream, patriotism, and unity. Our Founding Fathers built America on “certain inalienable rights” to produce a culture that not only was strong at its core, but that also helped to run a successful country “by the people for the people.”

This is an essay about how I define freedom and its importance to the United States of America.