What This Means... | Teen Ink

What This Means...

By Maryberry28mt BRONZE, Moreland Hills, Ohio
Maryberry28mt BRONZE, Moreland Hills, Ohio

"Give me time. I'll give you a revolution." -Alexander McQueen

There are about 7 billion people inhabiting this planet with the average lifespan of a human being 78.3 years. Assuming that I live that long, statistically, I will only interact with 80,000 people more or less in my lifetime. That is only if I meet 3 people per day, counting leap year. That is 80,000 out of 7 billion people, or 0.00001 of the human population.

If I follow Dunbar's number, a person's social capacity for successful cognitive relationships, and dismiss unstable and non-persistent interactions, the number narrows between 100 and 250, or most commonly 150. That's 150 people out of the 7,000,000,000 we will actually interact with on an impactful level. That is approximately .00000002 of the human population, basically little to nothing.

In all of human history an estimated 106 billion people have come to existence, only 7 billion of which are breathing at this moment. Or as I see it, 7 billion people which are gradually and constantly dying. 151,600 of then who are actually physically deceased every day. That's 6,316 people every hour. 105 people each minute, about the amount of people that has died since you started reading this.

The reality of it is, I matter not to history, to the world, to the universe, or to life as is it. My contributions are minimum and severely insignificant. Nothing of value will ever excrete from my living body other than regular emission of CO2, fecal matter, and consumer waste. I am nothing compared to the cavernous depth that surrounds us. I don't matter, and neither do you. You don't mean anything. You have no value. Nor does Gandhi, Hitler, Darwin, Martin Luther King Jr, or anyone. Because, meaning is something artificially created by humans. We mean nothing. These words mean nothing. Anything and everything means nothing. But, everything exists and that is that. There is no deeper meaning.