How You’re Preventing Africans from Getting Their Dream Jobs | Teen Ink

How You’re Preventing Africans from Getting Their Dream Jobs

Ever wondered why majority of the countries in Africa are knee deep in poverty when statistics say they have one of the most abundant natural resources all over the world? Ever wondered how many africans are rejected from their dream job just because of the lingering racial bias in the western world? Our own life experiences and beliefs can affect our decisions and behaviour unconsciously. Maybe you don't realize it but you might have the wrong perception of Africa. Some of these beliefs may come from your parents, friends, community; or most likely the media.

Turns out even though our current generation has made substantial moves towards equality, there’s still a lingering racial bias affecting people who have black coloured skin all around the world. Many of these stereotypes prevent them from getting opportunities that you guys could otherwise have. When employers look at their pile of resumes they strategically single out African or black names due to stereotypes and fears they have implicated from their culture. Generalization is good but stereotyping is dangerous.

It’s not only hard to get past employers, getting accepted abroad itself is challenging. In 2016, ‘47% of the people from nigeria is denied a Schengen visa. Do to this, people from africa may consider other options that may not even be legal. Illegal immigration from Africa to Europe is significant. Many people from underdeveloped African countries embark on the dangerous journey for Europe, in hopes of a better life.

Not only common stereotypes but also the current media. Majority of news that gets reported about africa is bad having a negative impact on the images of africans living abroad. This is because bad news sells well. People feel better when they know there are others who have it worse than them. News media’s first option is to blame the black sheep, in this case Africa. Negative news about Africa doesn’t directly affect the people who isn’t from the continent. It affects the people who do. This being said, the future of africans living abroad greatly depends on the opinions of the citizens of the country they live in.

I know most of these are depressing news but there’s a bright side to it. You can change your perceptions on Africa by just researching more on the topic. There are tons of sites that showcase good news from countries in Africa like “Africa on the rise”. Sharing positive news also helps others with their image since.

I've lived in both Europe and Africa. I'm now currently living in Angola. That being said, many of my friends complain about the negative connotations when people hear they're from Africa.