The Gift of Failure | Teen Ink

The Gift of Failure

By Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina
Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" -Rocky Balboa(in a speech to his son from the movie Rocky)

This speech is very emblematic of life. Rocky is a 1976 movie that was both directed and starred by Sylvester Stallone. Rocky tells the story of an Italian-American boxer that reached the American Dream after enduring many hardships and tragedies in his life. This film is based on real events and people. Balboa is sort of based on Chuck Wepner, a one-time boxer who fought Muhammad Ali, but mostly on boxing legend, Rocky Marciano, who was the inspiration for the name of the film and character. The speech that Balboa gives to his son can be seen in this Oscar-winning film.

We weren't born being told that life is easy and whoever has ever said that life is easy isn't human because every human has experienced failure. We learn from our mistakes and that is how we succeed. Failure itself won't kill you but the fear of failure will definitely kill you. Failure doesn't mean that the world is over. It simply means that you have to redirect your plans and try the same things with a different approach. Resilience is a virtue that we must all dominate and continue in life. No matter the obstacles, no matter the hardships, we must keep moving forward and not look behind us. Why give up after failing when there are many opportunities ahead of us? Life is hard and it is very difficult to keep moving forward without blaming others, but we must be strong. How many times have you wanted to quit and just give up? But, you mustn't because it will be worth it in the end. One of the most important values to learn is resilience. Failure is good and it is a gift that will never be taken away from us.