Safe & Sound | Teen Ink

Safe & Sound

By KayninJammers, swagville, Alabama
KayninJammers, Swagville, Alabama

It was dawn when I began to hear the sound of the waves crashing against the rocky sand. Birds were chirping and the sound of the flying creatures were filling the neighborhood. Almost as if they were trying to sing all of us a song. My shades were pulled shut, but the bright sun was pearing through the small cracks of the blinds. I lay up in my bed looking over my shoulder to see what time it was. The clocks reads seven thirty one. I lay there as I listen to the sound of my parents talking and preparing my breakfast. There voices comfort me as I get up and put my clothes on. I grab my hat to cover up the blonde rats nest I call my hair. I also grab the blinds and pull it open the bright light shines on me like a beam, it stings my eyes for a second but then the stinging sensation goes away. I look around my room to find my neat and tidy room I see my shiney gold les paul guitar sitting there and my desk with a computer and textbooks with paper hanging out. All of a sudden my father comes into the room. His silhouette stares at me as he begins to speak.

“You ready son.” he asks me

“Yes.” I reply.

He closes the door behind him and slowly walks down the hall. I quickly grab my back-pack and penny board and head out my bedroom door and towards the kitchen.

“Good Morning.” My mother states cheerfully. “You ready, today’s your last day as a junior.” she smiles.

“I know i’m so exited!” I try to keep my voice down but I can't seem to do it. “Today looks like a nice beach day. I was thinking I could maybe go with some friends after school.”

“Oh, im sorry honey but you are starting that life guard job today at three.” she explains.

“ I forgot, dangit!Ok well I guess I will see you guys around six when i'm off.”

My father sits on a chair at the kitchen reading his newspaper as my mother pours him another cup of joe.

“ Have a great day. Here is your breakfast. You better go, you don't want to be late.”

She hands me a bagel with cream cheese, which I wolf down. My dad winks at me like he always does.

I take my first few steps out the door and through my board down and i’m off. I have skated since I was four. I have been cruising these streets for over twelve years. I begin my journey heading towards school. My school is about five minutes away by boarding so I make it there quick. I get off my board and feel the hardness of the earth again. When I board I feel like i'm somewhere else. The wind blows past my skin. I must squint to see due to the speeds i'm cruising. I evaluate what areas to skate that will be a smoother ride. I feel…..Different. My buddies begin to surround me as soon as I am on campus. We walk through the crowded halls of San Clemente High. We walk past Mr. Cobbs room and I see my best friend sitting there like she does everyday. Savannah waves at me and I wave back. She smiles as I slowly walk past the room. The first bell rings and people begin their routes to their classes.

“Catch you later!” one of my friends yells.

“ See you at lunch.” another holars.

I quickly move through the hallways towards my first period class. when I see Brad the Varsity Quarterback. Savannah’s boytoy. I quickly try and look away but he has made eye contact and walks toward me saying.

“What's up squirt.”

He grabs my hat and tosses is it a couple yards like its a flat football.

“Just leave me alone.” I say.

“You gonna make me!” He yells.

“No, im not but he will.” I point towards the camera watching over the hallway. The black eye seems to scare Brad straight.He slowly backs off and walks away.

“ Have a nice day!”I yell as he walks back towards his buddies.

I look at the camera and put a thumbs up, and I continue walking back on my route to my first period. The bell rings and I slip right into my class and take my seat.

I look towards the clock and it reads eight o one. I begin to doze as the teacher starts his daily discussion of what ever the class is. The teacher is very crazy. He has always reminded me of a cracked out albert einstein. He was constantly talking to us in what seemed like a different language, but it was him talking in what he thought was english. My eyes started slowly fall down…..down…..down…..and I had now had fell dead asleep.

The lunch bell rung and my fourth period class went nuts, I calmly stood up and pushed my chair into the desk and I walked over to Mrs.Sanford and thanked her for being a great teacher.

“ Thank you Cody.” She smiled at me and stated. “You have been a great student and classmate one of the best I have met in a long time.” She added.

Now I admit Mrs. Sanford was cranky and old like she is at times but she was a sweet lady. She has always reminded me of my grandma. I knew I was gonna miss her next year. I began to walk away from her desk and towards the door. I looked back and said “See you next year.”

she looked back at me and smiled and said… “we’ll see.”

I walked through the halls down to the lunch yard and I thought about what she had said to me. We’ll see. What was she trying to say. I didn’t understand. I began to walk down the freshly paved steps of the english building down to the lunch court and I say the madness of the last day of school. Kids yelling and screaming. People running in every direction. Items of food, supplies and even clothing were being thrown in and out of the yard. I began to chuckle as I saw my friend Darius get panced by a couple freshman. I watched as he chased them down. By the time I reached the ground level of the courtyard chase and caleb probably my two best friends, besides savannah were at my side, they had items of food all over them. They smiled of Body otter and rotten lunch food.

“This is crazy!” chase yelled over the sound of all the partying teenagers.

“It’s nuts!” Caleb added as we were almost plowed by a group football players on the Varsity team.

We began to walk past the courtyard away from all of the noises, sights and smells of the center yard of our school. We sat down in our normal spot that overlooked the courtyard but from a safe distance. As I pulled my lunch out of my bag Savannah sat down right next to me.

“Hey.” she smiled and said.

“Whats up?” I asked as Chase and Caleb began to scarf down their lunches.

“Nothing much, I just took that Pre Cal. final.” She sighed.

“How did that go?” I Kind of laughed because of the look on her face, I knew she didn’t do well.

“Shut up!” she laughed and fake hit me on my arm.

We both started to laugh then before I could say anything else Brad came over and grabbed her arm.

“Lets go.” He said while staring me down with a nasty look.

“Gotta go, I will see you later. Lets hit the beach after school.K.” She walked away holding Brads hand.

“Wow!” Caleb stated loudly.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing, just nothing,” Caleb and Chase looked at each other and grinned.

I Began eating my lunch and tried to imagine what they were both thinking. We all for the next half an hour sat there eating and talking about what we should do over the summer.

“ I leave for florida next week. We gonna go visit my grandparents and cousins n such down there. I’m also going to Disney world.” Chase told us.

I always thought chases accent was funny. He has lived in georgia and florida most of his life but had to move to california because of something to do with his dad. chase had a deep southern accent and half the stuff he said didn’t really make much since. He continued on and on for another few minutes but I didn’t really pay much attention to what else he had to say.

Then Caleb began with how he was going on a trip with His family to europe.

“ We are going to leave tomorrow and we are going from Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland England and Ireland.” He sounded pretty excited “We are going to be gone most of summer so today is our last chance to hang out.” He began to sound slow and sad.

“ Everyone is going to the beach today.” Chase stated.

“Yea! Lets go, its our last chance.” Caleb added.

“I have to work.” I told them.

“C’mon everyone is gonna be there.” They both told me.

“ I will see what I can do…….but no promises.” I added.

The bell rang and we knew lunch was over. Everyone in the courtyard began to slowly walk back to their classes as they always did.

“ I’ll catch You guys later.” I told them and walked away towards my locker.

As I approached my locker to grab my books for my next period Brad pounced out of nowhere and grabbed me by the neck. He began to fling me around like a rag doll. throwing me in every direction against the walls and floor.

“ What the hell do you think you’re doing!?” He yelled and through me on the ground. “ Thats my girlfriend!” He yelled and kicked in my stomach as I lay on the ground trying to grab something to get him off of me.

“This will teach you.” He stated firmly and brought up his fist and smacked down on me like a missile.

I could feel every blow explosions as he hit me well over a dozen times before I was able to Kick him square in the face. Blood began to rush down his face from his nose, and water began to come down his face from his eyes. He fell to his knees and I stood up with the little strength I had. I began to walk the pain off, I knew I would have to hide if I wanted to stay alive. I searched for a good place to hide for a while until he would give up his search for me. I found the dumpsters behind the cafeteria and squatted down to my hands and knees. I just need to get my skateboard from my locker and I could easily skate to the comfort of my home. I peeked my head over one of the dumpsters and I say Brad and a couple of his friends walking towards their next period. This was my chance. I stood up and ran. The disgusting smell of the dumpsters had left me and I could see the building with my locker. I Ran inside and quickly did my locker combo. I grabbed my smooth penny and made my way off of the campus. I had no time to think I made my way down the streets feeling the cool breeze flow past my face. I was in much pain. My stomach and head were both throbbing. I felt like I could still feel brad hitting me over and over and over again. Before I knew it I had reached my home. I flung my skateboard onto the front yard not caring about what could happen to it. I Unlocked the door and ran to my bathroom. I reached for the shower and started running warm water. I began to strip down and I looked into my mirror and saw a monster. I had a fat lip and swollen eyes, not yet black. I wiped some blood off my dirty face and hopped into the bath. I sat there for well over twenty minutes soaking in the warm water and repeatedly rinsing and washing my face.

The pain had now begun to fade away like a mist on a hot summer day. I grabbed the wet tub and pulled myself out. I grasped my towel and wiped myself dry. I looked out the window of the foggy bathroom and saw Savannah walking down the street no more than two blocks away. I quickly grabbed my Red trunks and white lifeguard tank top and ran towards the door. As I reached the outside I found my penny board laying on the grass. I Picked it up and chucked it over the fence into my backyard.

BANG, CRASH!!!!!!!!

I heard the sound of my mothers pottery break on the concrete. I looked away acting as if I had no idea what just happened, keeping my head focused on the ground hoping neighbors heard nothing. I began to run toward Savannah across the street and a car hit the brakes making an extremely loud hissing. I was nearly run over by the old lady.

“Smoothe.” savannah laughed.

“I know right.” I began to giggle along with her. “Sorry!” I yelled to the lady in the car, she rolled down her window and stuck up her middle finger in the air.

“Crazy teenagers!!” She yelled as she drove of extra fast.

“What’s with the lifeguard outfit?” Savannah asked while still laughing a little.

“I start being a Lifeguard at State Beach at three.” I explained to her.

“Nice, what happened to your face you look a little……..beat.” She asked

There was a silence for a second as she checked her phone.

“Cody! Im so sorry. I told him to leave you alone.” She felt sorry for me and at the same time was mad at brad.

“How’d you find out?” I asked.

“He texted me to stay away from you and if He see’s you He is gonna beat the crap out of you again.” She told me while looking down at her phone reading the dirty message. “Cody you have to go.” she told me.
“No! Im not gonna run away like that.” I explained to her. “We’ve been friends for years, he’s not gonna take that away from us.” I looked into her eyes and we both smiled. “Lets go, come with me to the beach.” I grabbed her arm and started walking down the street toward the ocean front.

I was peering over the edge of the lifeguard tower looking into the sea. I felt like I was staring into the oceans eyes as waves crashed and the sand blew in the slight breeze heading south. I began to move my head scamming the beach from trestles point all the way to The San Clemente pier. I could see well over fifty kids from my school ten feet away from the tower. I watched as the laughed and surfed. They were having what seemed to be the time of their life. I soon became overwhelmed with a sense of anger, I wanted to be down there with them so badly, but I knew I had to stay up in that tower to keep watch and protect the people. I couldn’t resist. I set down my radio on the table, ran and jumped off the tower into the moist sand. I could hear muffling from the radio as I walked farther away from my post but I didn’t bother to go back and see what was up.

“Hey guys, whats up.” I asked feeling good for the first time in over an hour of sitting on
that stupid lifeguard post.

“Hey!!Hey man! What’s up!” Over a dozen people asked very cheerfully and happy.

I smiled at them all as they went back to doing whatever they were doing and giggled a little. They were all crazy teenagers relieved for the end of the school year.

I looked up into the sky and noticed how grey it had turned within less than two minutes. I looked down at the water and the tide dropped at incredible speeds. I could hear the wind picking up and the sound of barking dogs in the neighborhood right behind the beach.

“Uh oh’” I said outloud. I quickly ran to the tower and climbed up the slippery steps. Once I reached the top I pounced for the radio and heard…..

“Evacuate everyone now! This is not a drill! Evacuate now! Beep! Beep! Blurp! Tsunami warning! Evacuate now!”

I Grabbed the bullhorn and yelled into it….

“Please everyone evacuate the beach!There is a Tsunami coming, Please go! Get to High ground!”

People began packing their stuff like lightning speed and running. I looked out over the ocean and saw the wave coming at an amazing speed. There was no time to think. I ran off the tower and grabbed Savannah.

“C’mon! We have to go!” I told her through the sound of all the beach dwellers screaming running in frantic panic.

We began to run. “Drop your stuff!” I told her

“I can’t!” she yelled.

“Just drop it!!” I yelled back. She dropped her bag and we began to run even faster. We ran on the main street going from my house all the way up to the freeway which was a little over three miles away. An hour away on a skateboard. I could hear the impact of the waving hitting the first houses on the beachfront. I knew my house was a gonner. I lived two blocks from the beach. The wave seemed to be speeding up. It was thick and Wide as I turned around to see what it looked like. The massive wave was over twelve feet tall and was wiping through homes faster than a wrecking ball. Destroying Over a dozen homes in less than twenty second. We continued to run I looked for a possible safe zone but nothing.

The wave was now less than two hundred yards away from us and coming in fast. I knew this might be the end. I clenched Savannah’s hand even tighter and Looked straight at her. Her eyes filled with fear as mine. We were both scared out of our minds. We had now ran almost six blocks from the beach and the wave was fifty yards away. Palm trees were crashing down and ruble was flying everywhere. It felt like a war zone.

“Up there!” Savannah yelled. We released our hands and ran towards the two story house with a black almost chain fence material. We climbed up to the top of the roof. The Water surged ripping houses limb by limb, or so it seemed. We looked down from the safety of over twenty feet and watched as the wave gained on the house. We prepared for a heavy hit on the home but when it hit we felt almost nothing.

We looked at each other, and both blew a huge sense of relief. It was over. Then all of a sudden the house collapsed inward. We feel like quicksand.

“Help!!!!” Savannah screamed. I could see her barely as we hit the water. I began to sink. The rubble began to pull me under the surface five, ten feet. I was running out of options. I opened my eyes under the murky water and saw nothing but brown and blackness. I couldn’t escape from whatever was holding me down.

All of a sudden a sharp stab hit my abdomen. It felt like a knife had sliced through my young body.

“AWWW!!!” I yelled in pain as bubbles and blood flew in front of me. I began to shake my way off the object pushing me to the floor and swam for the surface. I hit several objects on my way up, and when I finally reached the top made a desperate gasp for air.

“Cody! Help!” I could hear savannah yelling in the distance.

“I’m coming savannah, where are you!!” I screamed.

“Over here!” She yelled back. I couldn’t see the ocean was moving fast taking me on what seemed to be a river rapid.

“I can’t see you!” I hollard…………...There was no response for over twenty seconds. “Savannah!!” I screamed. “Savannah, where are you!” Still no response. I frantically searched peering over the water using all my strength. She was nowhere. Than suddenly A Car appeared next to me floating in the debris. I quickly swam to pulling myself onto the hood. I was traveling over thirty miles per hour on the tsunami, the backwash of the tsunami at least. I lay there and I peered down at my side noticing a huge shard of steel going in and out the other side of my body. I Screamed in pain.

“Owwwwwwwwwwww Ahhhhhhhhhh Ooooo!!!!!!!” The pain was sharp and looking at it made it ten times worse. I needed to take it out if I wanted to stay alive. I tightly grasped onto the chunk of metal and began to tug. The pain was even more excruciating. I let go. “I can do this, I can do this.” I told myself. I grabbed onto it again this time looking at the wound. I began to pull as hard as I could. The pain was at its max. “ You can do this!!” I screamed. Than blood began gushing out of every corner of the wound. I began to feel wussy as the blood dripped all over the hood of that car. I leaned over and puked all over the hood and fell asleep.

I woke up. It was dark and the moonlight shined down on me. I felt light headed and very tired. I looked around me, I was still on the rusty hood of that old car. I stared down upon my stomach and saw the metal shard still poking out of my body. I couldn’t really feel it any more. I sat up and looked down on the ground the water was only about two feet deep. I stepped down into the murky water, feeling around with my foot. It was cold and looked like a overflowed toilet. Trash was everywhere from what I could see. I began to walk toward the passenger door. I needed light so I could see. I grabbed a brick from a fallen building and chucked it as hard as I could at the window. It window fell to pieces , falling into the car and the water in front of me. I carefully maneuvered myself in view of the glove box and clicked it open. Luckily a flashlight sat right on the edge I grabbed it and slowly walked away through the disgusting water. I searched for the button to turn the light on and successfully found it. The light was dim but at least it was something.

Then I remembered. Savannah was still out there….somewhere. I Made a complete three sixty around my location next to the car and saw no form of human life. I could only hear the cries of citizens trapped, abandoned, wounded or severed in the distance. Nothing seemed to be close to me. The power was out, and the streets were filled with salt water, debris and dead bodies. The stench was horrific. There are no words to describe the smell. I tried yelling for savannah,

“ssaaa!” Nothing was coming out my throat was sore and I couldn’t speak much at all. I began to tread through the rubble I was called my hometown. Once over Sixty thousand residents. Now less than one hundred are alive. I begin to think of my family and friends. Did they make it out alive. Are they dead. Are they alive.

I began to pace myself. I had to find someone, anyone. I cleared almost two blocks and found no sign of anyone alive. Only the dead. Bodies drifting, laying on top of each other even holding hands. It was sad and foul. I cut through an alley where I could hear someone crying. I continued walking forward. As I made It halfway through the alley I heard it again.

“Help!someone!”

I looked down to my left and saw a man stuck under ruble. I quickly rushed over to him. I shined the light onto him seeing who it was. As I looked into his eyes I noticed it was no one that I knew.

“Please, Kid….. help me.” The man asked calmly stuttering in between the short sentence. I drew the light back into where the man was stuck. Only his head and shoulders were free from the fallen house. As I peeked into the rubble I saw three dead bodies splattered on the ground and concrete. I yelled in fear.

“AWWWWW!!”

“What is it the scared man yelled. “IS it my family, are they….are they OK!” HE began to stutter and shout.

I looked at him and shook my head. Tears began rushing down his face. they began to rinse the ash off of his dirty face.

“ You listen to me.” I told him as he cried. “Listen!” He continued to cry as I shouted over him. “Listen Now!!!” He stopped. “You’re getting out of here. You are.” He began to shake his head in disbelief. “I’m gonna get help. OK.” I told him. “What’s your name sir?” I asked him still assuring he’d be alright.

“J...Jo….Josh.” He told me.

“Josh you’re gonna be just fine.”

“You...you can’t….you can’t leave me!” He yelled as I stood up.

“I have to!” I shouted. He stopped his crying and sniffling. “I will be right back…..don’t worry.” I calmed down and assured him. He looked in my eyes and shook his head OK. He was beginning to feel calm.

I started walking away back on the pa

the path of the alley. I looked down the alley still dark with my flashlight. I saw nothing. No sign of anything. I could hear the sound of water flowing through the streets dripping into the dirty water covering my feet. I got out of the alley and began walking down a street I stopped and stared at the chaos which has just occurred. I focused the light down the street and saw cars destroyed, trees wiped out, dead bodies floating in the murky shallow blood filled salt water and building destroyed with ashes everywhere. Where were the medics or government? Where was help? is there any one coming? Anyone. I quietly thought to myself. I swiped away this feeling of depression and sorrow and tried to keep my head held high. I needed to find savannah. I couldn’t give up. I wouldn’t give up. I walked down in between the cars and the trees and was careful not to step on glass. I looked down to my side and stared at the wound. A shock of pain rushed me like a defensive line rushes a quarterback. I looked away and the pain relieved and sort of went away.

“Cody!!!” Someone shouted.

I looked around searching for where it was coming from.

“Cody!!” It called again.

It was savannah I knew it was her, I knew she was still alive.

“Where are you!!” I shouted to her. Frantically searching everywhere in my radius.

“Under this car!!” She yelled back. She grabbed a rock and began hitting the side of the vehicle with all of her might to get my attention. “BANG,BANG,BANG!!!!!!!” I ran towards the noise and saw her head and left arm hanging out from under the car. She dropped the rock and began to cry. The part of her body that was visible was covered in blood. She was laying in a puddle of blood. Barely keeping her face out of the water.

“ Your safe, I'm here.” I grabbed her hand which was shaking with fear as she continued to cry.

“Thank you...Thank you.” She sighed with relief.

“I’m gonna get you out of here.” I told her. She coughed and blood came out of her mouth and nose. “ You’re safe, i’m gonna get help and get you out of here.” She began to close her eyes. “NO,NO,NO you have to stay with me.” I told her almost shouting. “ You are going to live to see tomorrow, you are not going to die on me savannah. You're not.” I told her. I quickly had a glance of the past, savannah and I playing together and laughing as little elementary school kids. It gave me hope, I needed to save her.

I lay down in the puddle of blood and water shining the light under the car. I saw a foot gap. I could try and pull her out. It was risky, she was already damaged as it is.

“How did you get trapped under here?” I asked her still looking under the car.

“I...I don’t know...the wave took me…and...and!”

“It’s ok.” I told her. “There is an ambulance right down the street.” I explained. “there will be medicine and jacks to lift this car.” I finished

“Ok..be quick.” she told me.

I began to shuffle thru the dirty water on my way towards the ambulance. The thought of what Mrs. Sanford told me just hours before this happened. Did she know what was coming. I couldn’t let it go. I was approaching the Ambulance and I felt calm, I grabbed the hook on the truck to open the back where the supplies were. It was locked.

“Are you freaking kidding me!!” I shouted. I began pounding my fists on the truck. Dents became visible. I knew i could break into it and smash it open with something strong and powerful. I searched around the truck looking for something. Than I looked up the street and saw a police car abandoned and opened. I rushed to it. When I had finally reached the car I looked inside and found what I had wanted. A shotgun.

It sat in between the driver and passenger seats and was loaded and ready. I climbed in and grabbed it. I gripped it firmly in my hands and coked it back. As I stood next to the ambulance once again I pulled the trigger firing at the back of the truck. Most of the paint cracked and a couple holes sat all around the fire zone. I pulled it back again and opened fire. This time it worked. I Lay the gun down on a pile of debris and climbed into the back of the truck. I set my feet down and for the first time in over an hour wasn’t standing in water. The equipment was everywhere. Brom bandages to files, and syringes to pill vials. I stepped around a pair of scissors and peeked into a cabinet on the left side of the truck. I saw a vial labeled

Pain Meds. 200mg.

I grabbed it opened it up and swallowed one. I then shoved the vial in my pocket. I then saw In the corner of the truck a jack. I could use this to lift the car Savannah’s trapped under. Then I remembered Josh. I had to find something to get him out of there. I could just use the jack to lift the piece of heavy debris off of him. I looked down at my wound and wondered if anything here could help me. No I needed someone else to Remove this from me. I exited the truck only taking Pills and a jack. I rushed down the alley towards josh.

“I’m here josh I’m gonna get you out now.” I told him………..There was no response. “Josh?” I asked. “You there.” As I approached where he was I noticed the rise of the tide. I looked down to find josh dead. He had drowned from laying face first on the ground. I stepped back. My eyes huge. I was definitely scared. I then ran to Savannah. When I reached the car she had only her eyes and nose out of the water. I slipped the jack under and pressed the button to lift. It slowly began to do so. I stayed calm. She looked at me. I nodded my head to show her that it was OK. She was slowly breathing with her nose since the rest of her face was under water.

The Jack had now lifted the car an extra foot, I reached under and grabbed savannah’s body pulling her out. I wrapped her around me and I lifted her up out of the water. I then proceeded to carrying her to the ambulance up the street. Savannah had bad gashes all over her body from parts of the engine tearing through her skin. She had a three inch hole on her left leg. cuts all over her arms, legs and head and she was extremely dehydrated and covered in her own blood. I approached the Ambulance I sat her down on the ground for a second and cleared all the crap from inside the truck out into the middle of the street. I prepared the bed in there and picked her up and layed her down on the softness of the nice hospital bed.

“You’re gonna be OK, i’m gonna drive us up towards the freeway. Help will be there for us.” I assured her.

She looked up at me and nodded. She couldn’t speak anymore, she had become so tired and thirsty that she had no voice to speak with. I stepped out and closed the door and locked it tight. I picked up the shotgun that was laying there on the car and began my way towards the drivers seat. I pulled on the doors lever, and of course it was locked. I pounded on the side of the ambulance.

“Cover your ears!” I shouted. Then I opened fire on the window. I reached inside and unlocked the door. I began to feel around the truck as I sat down inside. The keys were in the ignition Glass was everywhere all over the seat, all over the ground. The window in front of me was so foggy and damp I couldn’t see two feet in front of me. I began A search for the defogger to gain vision of the road. I began to click random buttons hoping I could find the right one. All of a sudden I pressed one and the sirens turned on. The loud noise began to fill the street echoing through allies and streets in every direction. I looked down the Alley to my left and saw three men approaching fast one with a pistol, one with a bat and the other had nothing but his bare fists and a small pocket knife.

“Uh oh.” I said out loud.

I began to turn the key praying it would start. Nothing. I tried another couple times. Still nothing. The siren continued to make noise. I tried one last time as the men were ten feet from the truck and….

“VROOOM!!!” The engine roared and I whaled on the gas pedal. Gun shots began to hit the truck all over the place. I began to cruise through the water. I Hit cars and fallen object creating a strange path. The gun shots stopped as I was now two blocks away from those three men. I continued driving forward. The visibility was terrible I was sticking my head out the window to see where I was going. All of a sudden a road block. I saw U.S soldiers with guns n’ all standing there. I stopped the car slamming on the brakes. I stepped out of the car and Bullets flew. I screamed. I jumped into the ambulance again.

“MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!!!” A soldier shouted.

I could hear their boots get closer and closer. Before I could close the door I locked the clutch into reverse and took off backwards down the street. I hit floating debris cruising backwards at about twenty maybe thirty miles per hour. Shots began to brake the front glass. Than all of a sudden I hit something hard. A tire slasher, laid down to stop this vehicle. I rushed outside with shotgun in hand running for the back. About five soldiers approached less than fifty feet away. They were still firing.

“Lets go!” A man shouted from Behind me. “Grab her and we’ll get out of here!” He added. A couple of people appeared. They all had guns. They began to fire on the soldiers running toward us. Within three seconds all the soldiers were dead on the ground. I open the door and grabbed Savannah and we ran down into an alleyway. We crawled behind a dumpster where a hole sat in the wall. Big enough for a grown man to climb through. We made it in and a man took Savannah and laid her on a counter in the middle of this strange room. There was a fire and a pile of food, water and supplies. Six others besides Savannah and I.

“Here.” A man through me an apple and a water bottle. “Go ahead take it.” He added.

“Thank you.” I told him, “Thank all of you For helping us.” I added there was no words. “So….uh whats happening?” I asked. “The Tsunami came It’s killed over sixty thousand people.” The man said.

“Why….why were the shooting at us.” I asked while biting into the apple. I noticed a women standing over Savannah touching her trying to figure out what was wrong.

“ The government ordered roadblocks to be made so no one can leave until they have been ordered to let us out. You see the Tsunami destroyed the power plant just three miles south of here. There must have been a bad leakage, they don't want to take any chances of spreading a potentially hazardous disease until they have figured out exactly what has happened and who or what is infected.” He explained to me.

“I don’t understand exactly, I need to get her medical attention or she is going to die.” I told them.

“Kid, we can’t do anything about that yet.” He told me “There are way too many of them.”

He added.

“Why do they shoot, we’re not criminals!” I yelled.

“They’ve been ordered to kill anybody suspicious!……..Anyone!” He shouted back. “And besides we’ve killed over twenty of their men. They are after us as a threat of their safety.”

Two of the men began to talk to the women helping savannah. They spoke to each other for over a minute constantly glancing at Me then Savannah than back at me. Then the main guy walked to me handing me an assault rifle.

“You know how to shoot?” He asked

“Yeah.” I answered.

“Good.” He stated. “You’re gonna need to.” He added.

He began to walk towards the hole in the wall and said out loud

“Me and lover boy here are gonna go get medicine from the hospital. This young lady needs medicine better than light painkillers. We need roof coverage. I want three of you up there in two minutes the other two stay here. Alright lets go!!” Three of the men climbed up and grabbed the roof from the inside of the safe house as the leader and I crawled our way out of the little hole. As we made it to the outside the sound of soldiers were echoing through the alley. I followed the man to the end of the alley and we crouched and watched soldiers pass by. Armed with many guns. They were looking for us.We analyzed the area Then over the man’s radio.

“Clear.” someone told him.

We began to move across the street, and I peered up on the roof behind me and saw three men laying on the roof with their guns in hand.

“What’s your name anyway? sir.” I asked the man

“ They all call me Sid.” he answered. “And yours, lover boy?”

“My names cody, I’m sixteen.” I told him. We Reached the other side of street and I saw Two Soldiers turn faced towards us.

“Drop.” One of our men shouted over the radio.

Sid grabbed me pulling me down to the floor and two shots went off. Both soldiers fell to their knees and then over dead. We quickly stood up and ran towards them. When we reached the bodies sid ordered me to pick up the smaller one. We drug them over to an alley where we took their ammo and anything else that might be useful. Sid found a shiny whistle

in the left side pocket of his guy and quickly snachted it throwing it into his big pocket under his handgun. I found a picture of the man with a wife and three children smiling into the camera. I began to feel sorrow. These men weren’t wanting to kill us, they were just following orders. I pulled myself together as we stood up walking back on the street.

“Hold there is a truck moving up the street.” The radio voice came again.

“Roger that.” Sid answered back. He put a fist in the air. I knew that meant stop. I had watched movies and T.V shows about this sort of stuff. But this was too real. I am just a kid, and I stand here marching through the thick water, through the blood of my neighbors, friends and even family.

The truck slowly passed by shining light through the alley. We hid in the corners away from the light until we were given the all clear. Then as the trucks sound faded away we emerged from the alley. We began a light jog down several city blocks destroyed by not only the wave but the warfare going on to leave this hell hole we used to call home.

Sid and I now looked down the street where we saw the huge hospital. It was three stories high and still standing even after the wave. We saw the three other men run across the street climbing a building across from the hospital. They looked like ninja’s with their stealth and strength.

“Your clear.” The radio man stated.

“Roger.” Sid responded.

We began to move down the street pointing our guns forward in case anything might happen. As we kept making our slow journey down to the hospital a truck was spotted heading our way. Its engine was roaring as its wheels moved through the water. The headlights on the metal beast were getting closer.

“Get down.” Sid whispered while pulling me too the ground. “Keep your head in the water, and stay quiet.” He added. The truck was getting closer. I began to float in the dirty water. The smell was so bad. I stuck my face in like sid told me and I could hear the truck pass. Spraying water over our bodies not even knowing the fact we were alive It had worked they thought we were, just dead civilians from the wave. Sid then pulled me up.

“C’mon we’ve got to keep moving.” He told me. I brushed the disgusting water off my face and spit on the ground hoping to get rid of the horrid stench and taste in my mouth.

We were now ten feet from the front entrance when the radio called out to us again.

“Two bogies approaching front door from the inside!” then shots. Glass began to shatter and a heavy ringing filled my ears. Both soldiers fell to the ground as they continued to be shot at. I held the trigger down and then released.

“Move, you’re clear.” The man on the radio told us.

“Let’s go.” Sid said. My heart was racing at a thousand miles per hour. We walked in feeling the glass hit my feet. We passed the dead soldiers. Bullet holes everywhere in the lobby of the hospital. In the walls. front desk, windows, curtains and the soldiers. Sid began to look at the map of the hospital on the wall.

“Here.” He pointed. “That’s the room we need to go too.” We began to walk up the stairs and the sound of heavy footsteps came close. More soldiers coming to defend the hospital. I got behind a pillar on the right of the staircase and Sid got on the right. Three men with guns ran by us not knowing our location. Then we opened fire on them. We shot them in the back. I leaned to the side puked all over the floor. I wiped off the leftovers and followed Sid up the stairs. We reached the second floor moving past halls and rooms empty. the light were still on. It must have been running on generators brought by the military. We walked into a room that was coded

211:

Medical Room

Sid grabbed the door knob. He wiggled it around and it was locked From the inside. We backed up a couple feet then ran into the door with all the power he had. The door crumbled apart falling to the ground. This room had no light for some reason. He switched on his flashlight and pointed it to the back of the room. To our surprise three humans sat on the ground shaking not looking at us. They were breathing heavily, and had barely any clothing on. Their bodies more orange and yellow than normal human.

“What the….” Sid said out loud as they turned their heads towards us. Their mouths were open teeth shattered and spiky. Eyes were orange and red. Veins were visible all over them. They roared with a mighty rage.

“Run, Run, Run!!!!” Sid shouted as he began to run away.

I began to follow. The creature began to chase us. We cut in to go to the stairs but a soldier stood there yelling.

“Stop or I will shoot.”

We quickly ran past him. I looked back and the thing jumped on him threw him to the wall and began tearing his body apart. He was twitching around yelling help. Then when the beasts were done with him they stood up pounding on their chest screaming and roaring.

Sid and I watched far away down the hall. He pointed his gun and began to shoot. Firing rounds into their bodies. They looked down the hall and began a full sprint towards us.

“We have mutants chasing us get ready with high powered weapons. We are gonna jump out the huge window near the front!” Side yelled at the radio.

“OK, we are ready.” The man responded.

The monsters were gaining now getting extremely close. Sid pulled a square box out of his pack.

“One three.” Sid said. “One…….Two……. Three!!” We threw our. bodies against the glass and began to fall towards the earth. Than we hit a soft cushion that stopped our fall I heard loud gun shots more powerful than usual , the three creatures lay all around us, dead. Sid stood up.

“What about savannah’s medicine?” I asked him.

“Well obviously our plan didn’t work.” he responded.

“Obviously? We need to get her those meds or she will die.” I told him angrily.

“Look kid….”

“No! We need to get back in there.” I stopped him.

I looked up at the men with the guns on the roof. Then grabbed Sid’s radio and spoke into it.

“Look, she needs help. We came here for a purpose a goal. We need to help her. Please.”

“Alright lets us go this time you and Sid keep watch.” One of the radio men responded.

“OK.” I told him.

Sid and I proceeded to climbing on the building meeting with the other men.

“Alright keep an eye out.” One of the men told me.

“We will cover you.” Sid assured them.

The troops began their descent down the side of the building. Making their way across the street. We crouched down waiting for something to happen. They disappeared into the hospital. There was silence for over two minutes I could hear nothing but the light breathing of me and Sid. I looked over at Him and he looked to me nodding his head. This was his strange sign of showing that everything was fine. Then the radio began to speak.

“We’ve retrieved medical supplies.” It said.

“Bring er’ on home.” Sid answered.

We began to feel relieved at least I knew I was for sure.

Than out of nowhere the sound of a truck moving through water came close. A big truck pulled up to the front of the hospital, well over ten soldiers came out fully equipped with guns and everything. They began making their way towards the front. They began to step on the glass. I could hear the sound of their large boots crushing the glass.

“C’mon! Search the whole place!” A man shouted. They began making their way into the hospital.

“Crap, get out of there now. Bogies moving up stair well. Eject from the windows.” Sid told the radio.

Within ten seconds our men through rope out the window and began to climb down. We then stood up yelling hurry. They were almost on the ground. Sid and I hopped off the ledge hitting the water. A man jumped out of the truck with a pistol and proceeded to shooting at us. Sid fell to the ground and I shot the soldier dead to the earth. I looked at the dead body and then to Sid.

“Sid!!” I yelled with fear. I heard gun shots behind me. Our three men ran behind me a grabbed me. Throwing me into the truck. I screamed as one held me back. Bullets hit the trucks as It began to drive away swishing water everywhere. Soldiers stood in the second story of the hospital shooting at us as we grew farther and farther away. I then pushed the man off of me.

“Let go!!” I yelled as I pushed him.

“He’s dead OK!” The man yelled. “Sid’s dead!” He added. He then handed me a small box from behind his back pack.

“What’s this?” I asked him.

“The supplies to fix her.” He answered me.

“Thank you.” I told him.

“No problem.” He said. “ Is she your sister or something?” He asked.

“No…...She is my bestfriend.” I told him.

“Friend? Really!” He rolled his eyes smiling at me.

“I don’t know what we are.” I told him.

We pulled into an alley about two blocks from the safehouse. We stepped out of the truck and I noticed the light emerging in the west. It was the sunrise. One of the men looked down at his watch and read out loud.

“ Six thirty one.”

We began to walk over to the alley where the safehouse was. As we stepped into the alley we saw two soldiers walking with their backs facing us. They were going slow looking in every nook and crany. They approached the dumpster. One soldier grabbed a hold of it and began to yank it back.

“We have to stop them.” I said whispering as loud as I could. I put my gun up aiming the sight on one soldier. Then one man smacked the gun down. He looked at me shaking his head. I kept staring over just waiting for them to find our hide out. Then the soldier yanked as hard as he could pulling the front frame of the dumpster. Garbage fell all over them. They began to cough and cover their noses in disgust. They than walked away down the alley searching in a new place.

“Boobie trap.” One man said to me while grasping my shoulder walking toward the dumpster. They now had all passed me and I ran towards them to keep up. They got on each side of the dumpster a small rock sat in front of the back wheels making it impossible to move without removing the pebbles. We then began to crawl through the hole. I felt the warmth of the inside and the relief of seeing Savannah still on the table. This time she was washed off and head new clothes on. She looked at me and smiled as I came In dropping the weapons and backpack I had. I went to the women standing over her and handed her the box. She set it down and looked at me.

“You’re brave for doing that.” She told me.

“Thank you, I needed to do it. This was for her.” I explained.

“And you?” She asked while looking at my crusty wound.

“She needs more help than me.” I told her.

“You will die.” She said. “Lay down.” She grabbed me and set me down next to savannah.

“No, No really she needs it first.” I told her.

“Hold him down will ya.” She asked two of the men.

They walked of and grabbed my arms and legs pushing them against the table. The women disappeared from my view for a minute and returned with a pan tightly gripped in her hand.
“Sorry, this has to be done.” She assured me. She then hit me upside the head and I fell into a blurry sleep.

I woke up and peered over next to me. Savannah wasn’t there. I almost panicked and began to twitch around. Ripping wires going in and out of my body. A shock of pain hit my veins. I knew it was a bad Idea to rip those cords out. I yanked a long tube going down my throat. As I pulled it out I began to have a gag reflex and I leaned over throwing up all over the ground of the safe house. I sat up wiping the leftovers on my face slinging the stuff on the ground. I looked down to my wound and found that the shard was missing. I began to smile for the first time in a while. I ran my fingers around the white cloth protecting the skin. Then a noise of rumbling came from the other side of the room. I quickly looked over and saw One of the men standing there walking towards me. I got off of the table standing which made me kind of dizzy. I shook it off and made my way towards the man.

“Wh...Where is she…..” I asked as he put his finger on his lips telling me to be quiet. He walked me over to a room where the door was missing. I peered into it and saw Savannah sound asleep on a bed with the women by her side brushing a wet towel against her face. I grinned.

“How long have I been asleep?” I asked the guy next to me.

“Two days.” He said. “We put you on heavy drugs.” He added. “And your girlfriend there she is doing just fine, her hydration levels have dramatically increased and her wounds are began to show healing signs.” He told me.

“Thank you for everything.” I smiled at the man and woman.

The woman looked at me smiling and looking down at savannah than looking back to me winking.

“Where are our other men?” I asked the guy.

He looked at me and his face began to turn into a slight frown.

“They…..They didn’t make it.” He said.

“What...What do you mean?”

“When you were out we sent the three other guys out for more water.” He told me. Then there was a long pause. He began to tear up. “ They were gone for over an hour. and I thought they had to be dead. I crawled out the hole and crouched looking around the dumpster. I peeked my head around the side hoping to find a clue of where they were. I say no one. I then stood up and walked out on the street. I stood there covering my face from the bright sun making looking in every far direction.” He continued to speak while choking up. “ Then a truck came passing by. I hid in a back corner of the alley, it began to pass and all of a sudden soldiers in the back dropped dead bodies all over the street. over a dozen of em’ were just laying there sitting in the street.” He begun to have tears in his eyes. “ After it passed I walked into the marsh of dead bodies and saw Henry, Brutus and Mark dead. Bullet holes in their heads.” He stopped and sucked his tears up.

“We have to do something.” I stated. “I mean they’re just killing innocent people…..our neighbors, friends and even our families.” I looked into the woman’s eyes.

“There is nothing we can do. They are too many of them and they are way stronger and smarter than us.” The man said.

“Not if we have a plan.” I told them. There was a long pause of the man the woman and eye looking at eachother and we began to grin. “Like you said they have road blocks, gates and guard towers everywhere to ensure no one leaves San Clemente. If we can create a distraction making most soldiers report to an area we can escape heading north towards L.A.” I explained to them.

“What kind of distraction??” The man asked.

“What kind of explosives do we have?” I asked. The man looked back at the woman as she made her way towards a closet she grabbed a key that layed in her pants pocket and opened it up. It creaked making a terrible sound in my ears like nails on a chalkboard. She began to
rummage around until she pulled herself out with a small wooden box that was like a shopping basket. She approached me then turned towards the table I was previously laying on. She began to set down a bunch of black wrapped C4 explosives, and a trigger. Also in the crate was an empty pickle jar of metal nails and two grenades. She looked at me as I slowly walked to the table with a big grin.

“This is gonna work.” I smiled.

The man and woman sat at the table as I began to explain my plan with more detail.

“Tell me your names again?” I asked.

“I’m Scooter and this is Stacie.” Scooter told me.

“It’s nice to officially meet you I’m Cody.” I put my hand across the table shaking their hands like Mother always taught me to do. “ Well my plan Is We load Savannah and Stacie in a truck, a big one that will enable them to breach a gate or fence. While Scooter and I will Walk to Guard post Four just two blocks from here. We will radio you when it’s time to ram the gate.” I explained

“That’s great n’ all but how will we cause a big enough distraction to give the girls time to break out?” Scooter asked. “Yea It sounds fool proof but I don’t quite understand the distraction.” Stacie added.

“ You see Scooter and I will plant C4 at the main guard post. We will then hide a block away in an alley where we will detonate.” I looked at them making sure they really understood. “ There will be two trucks that are on our side after the post blows we will steal the armored trucks and then we will radio you girls giving you the signal to ram the gate. Now we will have escaped with our enemies vehicles. They won’t know what to do many of the soldiers will be dead. Fire and Smoke will be everywhere. It will be the perfect escape.” I continued.

“This is gonna work.” Scooter told me. “When do we leave for our part?” He asked.

“First we need to ensure a power vehicle for them and then we decide when we begin.” I told him.

“We will go look, we’ll be right back.” Stacie told me. She carried a pistol in her hand and she began to walk to the hole in the wall. Scooter grabbed an M4 holding it tightly. “ Keep your radio on channel seven, pack everything we might need I will call when we are out front.” Scooter told me.

“No prob.” I said to him. He then walked away and followed stacie out the hole.

I walked to the closet and I glanced at Savannah for a second as I walked by her. She was slowly getting up scratching her head. I stopped In my tracks and walked to her. She looked up at me smiling and she began her way toward me. I wrapped my arms around her and we hugged for a good thirty seconds.

“Thank you……….Thank you.” She whimpered. “I love you.”

“It’s ok…..It’s ok…you’re safe.” I told her.

I will never forget what she said that moment, when she told me she loved me and she was thankful. I knew that after this we would be safe from the madness, safe from the soldiers, safe from the chaos. Safe and sound.