Dawn of Dragons | Teen Ink

Dawn of Dragons

By Agrith_Dragonflame, Diamond, Ohio
Agrith_Dragonflame, Diamond, Ohio

I was inspired by Chris Paolini's Inheritance Cycle. They are really good books.

All this from one dragon, Sir Firrik thought as he gazed at the ruins of the village, Adrian was a flourishing village. And one dragon destroyed it all. In one morning to boot.
“Sir Firrik!” a voice called, “We found something!”
Firrik turned and saw that one of his men, Rendrich, was gesturing towards a ruined house with one wall still standing. Firrik notice that only that house had anything standing, every other house and structure was destroyed, nothing left standing. That alone attracted his attention, but, now that he listened, it almost sounded like something was crying in that direction.
“What have you found?” Firrik asked.
“We found a child. Young, about seven months old. It was lying in a broken crib, but you have to see it,” Rendrich replied.
Firrik wondered at this. What child could survive a dragon attack?
Firrik followed Rendrich to the ruined house. Another one of Firrik’s men, Gordrin, walked up, holding a child. Without a word, as he had no tongue, Gordrin showed Firrik the child.
Firrik’s breath caught in his throat. The boy, as it was a boy, was unscathed. His clothes were ashes, but the boy was not harmed. But that wasn’t the only amazing thing about the boy. On the boy’s face, was what appeared to be a scar, but this wasn’t any ordinary scar.
“Sir,” Rendrich said, “It looks like-,”
“A dragon,” Firrik broke in, “Aye, it does.”
“What should we do?”
“I will take the boy to my home and raise him. He will be raised as the son of a knight.”
“What will his name be?”
Firrik thought for a moment before deciding.
“Dane.”

Dane looked around as he sipped some mead from his flask. He was traveling to Girodash to serve as a guard for a merchant’s caravan. He had been on the road for two days and was expecting to travel for two or three more. The road to Girodash was mostly wood lined path, but it had been proven safe more than once.
Dane glanced at a nearby puddle and studied his own face. He had brown hair and brown eyes. His face appeared lean, but not so lean as to look like he was starving. His face also had a strange elvish appearance. His face had sharp angles, but not so sharp as to not appear human. His ears tapered, but not as much as an elf’s. The most noticeable feature was the dragon-shaped scar. The tail curved around his left eye, it’s main body cut across his face from his left eye to his right eyebrow. It’s head stretched leftwards across his forehead from his right eyebrow to about the middle of his forehead. It’s wings were folded on it’s back.
Dane frown as he studied the scar. It had been the source of much ridicule back at home in Verious, about half a mile from Fainendor Castle, home of King Aridor. Even today some people appear uncomfortable around Dane and some called him dragon-lover, as if that was something bad.
He looked up as he thought about the dragons. Dragons. They were often depicted as fierce and powerful, but also evil and cruel. For reasons he couldn't explain, he thought they weren’t evil or cruel. That something was wrong when they were thought as such.
Dane was startle from his thoughts were he heard rustling. The wind was blowing, so it was expected to hear something, but not how this rustling sounded. This sounded like something moving in the bushes. Dane glanced around to camp and reached for his sword.
“Hello? Who’s there?” Dane called into the forest. The only response was a bird calling.
“I know you’re there! I heard you!” Dane called again.
“Heard us, you did? Then you have some mighty fine ears,” said a well-armed man as he stepped out of the bushes, followed by two more men.
Dane quickly studied the men. They were of average height and all well-armed, though the man who had spoken was even more well-armed. The strange mismatched armor and weapons led Dane to believe that these were bandits, and very good ones by their equipment.
Dane was wearing chainmail, as he was expecting to get plate armor from the merchant. He had his sword and shield in hand, but no weapons other than the dagger at his belt. He stood up and readied himself into a battle stance.
“Come now! Let us negotiate before you get ready to fight!” the well-armed bandit said.
“Very well,” Dane replied, “what do you have in mind?”
“Simple. Hand over your gold, weapons, supplies, and other goods, and we will take you to the nearest village, Durock, I believe, and not kill you.”
“No,” Dane responded flatly.
“Very well. Prepare to die at my hand, the hand of T’rostok!”
Suddenly one of T’rostok’s companion rushed forward and swung his axe at Dane. Dane raised his shield and block the axe, hearing the thud as the axe hit the wood of his shield. Dane countered and, surprisingly, lopped off the man’s head.
T’rostok motion to his remaining man, who rushed forwards at Dane. Dane blocked the bandit’s sword and countered, only to have his sword blocked. Dane swung low, but the bandit intercepted. Dane jabbed forwards and attempted to disarm the bandit, but the bandit blocked that as well. Dane noticed that the bandit didn’t like to parry, he kept blocking instead. Dane stabbed at the bandit, and narrowly missed hitting the bandit as the bandit clumsily attempted to parry.
Dane followed up with two quick thrusts, one was badly parried, the other stabbed the bandit through the heart. As the bandit’s body fell to the ground, Dane turned T’rostok, “Do you still want my things?”
“You killed two lesser men. But you won’t best me!” T’rostok bellowed as he rushed forwards. T’rostok’s blade flashed as he chopped for Dane’s head. Dane blocked and almost immediately realized that T’rostok was definitely better than himself. Dane countered, but T’rostok blocked the attack easily. Trostok made a quick maneuver that Dane couldn’t quite follow, but next thing Dane knew, his sword was on the ground three feet away.
“You made an effort, but you are clearly weaker than you make yourself appear. Now, must I kill you? Or can I take your items without you stabbing my back?” T’rostok asked.
Before Dane could answer, there was the sound of vibrating material, similar to a drum, and something about the length of Dane’s forearm and the color of the brightest gold coin slammed into T’rostok’s back. Dane scrambled for his sword and when he turned to face T’rostok, saw what the thing was.
It looked a lot like a lizard with a line spikes down its spine. A sort of dagger-like tip to its tail. Wings that looked similar to a bat’s. A long neck, kind of like a snake that ended in a crested head. It was a dragon. It was also small. Maybe a dragon hatchling? What ever type of dragon it was, it was in trouble.
T’rostok was furious. Before Dane could do anything, T’rostok spun around and swung his sword. Dane saw the sword hit the dragon, but not where. Dane rushed forward and stabbed with his sword, hoping to distract T’rostok. The sword a certain spot in T’rostok’s armor that was a rent in his armor, possibly from past battles. The padded leather was not enough to stop Dane’s sword which when through T’rostok’s back and out his chest. T’rostok looked down as Dane pulled the sword out of his back. T’rostok toppled sideways. Dane looked down at T’rostok’s dead body for a moment before turning and rushing over to find out the fate of the dragon.
Dane quickly found the dragon. It was lying unconscious a short feet to the left of Trostok. T’rostok’s sword had found the dragon’s side and opened a gash from the dragon’s shoulder to it’s belly. It was a long wound, but not deep.
He recalled that a renowned healer lived in Durock. This particular healer happened to also work with animals. Dane hoped she could help a dragon.
Dane took the tunic from the man he beheaded and used that to try to slow the bleeding. To his surprise, the dragon’s blood began to burn the tunic. Dane also noticed that the blood did nothing to him.
Dane gathered his equipment quickly and picked up the dragon. Dane found that the dragon was quite heavy. After making sure his hands stanched the wound, Dane set off to Durock.

Dane found that Durock really hadn’t been that far away, which came as a relief considering he was carrying a very young, very heavy dragon and attempting to staunch a wound as long as Dane’s outstretched hand. As soon as he arrived, he immediately decided to try to sneak in, if he had learned anything from what people thought of dragons, it wasn’t good. Even worse chainmail was really bad for stealth. Even so, Dane met no one and even found the guard’s post empty.
After about a quarter of an hour, he finally saw the apothecary, where the renowned healer lived. Dane tried to remember her name. Was it Katherine or Katerina? Maybe Katheus? Dane couldn’t remember.
Upon reaching her back door, where, thankfully, nobody could see him, he knocked on the door, momentarily causing the dragon to lose more blood.
“Knock, knock, at the door! Who wishes to see me?” a voice called out.
“I am Dane of Verious! Are you not the the world renowned healer?”
“Aye. That I am. Tell me! Why are you here? Your voice indicates you are tired, but unharmed and very healthy. So who, or what, did you bring that needs healed?” the voice asked.
“It is better that you see for yourself!” Dane answered, astounded by what the healer could discover from simply how he spoke.
“A secret! I love a good secret! Worry not! No one will know about your secret. Come in! My name is Kathenirin! Come in! Come in!” the door opened to reveal a kindly old woman. She but glanced at the dragon before bustling Dane inside, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it was a dragon.
She had him sit down before saying, “Keep your hands staunching that wound. I’m not sure how you can do it, but normally your hands should be ashes at this point,” she paused before adding, “Did you find the long lost recipe for Medea’s potion? Can make anything it is put on immune to even the hottest heat. But no, if you had, you would have put it on a cloth so you could bind the wound instead of using your hands.”
“No, I haven’t found Medea’s potion. I don’t know how I can do this.” Dane said as a looked up at the old healer. Immediately, the healer stared for a moment before saying, “Dane of Verious, indeed! Why didn’t you just tell me that you are from Adrian?”
“Adrian? You mean the Forsaken Village? No one has been from Adrian in almost 20 years. Ever since it was destroyed.”
She laughed before leaving saying, “Stay there!” Dane began to wonder about what she had said. From Adrian? Adrian was dead. Gone. Turned to ash. More popularly known as the Forsaken Village, it was now full of dragons, at least, that’s what the stories say. But even so, Dane couldn’t be from Adrian. Dane’s father, Sir Firrik, was from Verious. His mother was from Bearitor, near Verious. Adrian was about a good twelve days journey from Durock, let alone Verious or Bearitor. She must have made a mistake.
“Tell me!” Kathenirin said as she reappeared with three full basket-loads of supplies, “How does the Dragon Child come across a young dragon that should rightfully be too young to travel alone or even leave his home?”
“Dragon Child? Are you insulting me about my scar!?” Dane asked, more confused than angry.
“No, not insulting. Just acknowledging you are most likely the boy from the  prophecy that will end the suffering between humans and dragons,” she said, pulling out a needle and thread, “You are going to have to sew the wound, I can’t touch his blood. Prophecy states that a human shall come, bearing the mark of dragons, yet untouched by dragons. He would end the suffering between the races of dragon and men. Naturally, most people believe you are to exterminate the dragons, thus stopping any suffering, because there would be no dragons to cause suffering among humans and humans couldn’t cause suffering among dragons if there were no dragons. He’s lucky, the wound is bleeding a lot, but nothing major. We can just stitch the wound and that should be all.”
“Now, listen carefully or you might sew the wound wrong. Line up the edges. Yes, just like that! Now poke the needle through there. No, start underneath.  You are going to have to try to work around the scales, my needles are not going to go through those. That’s it. He is going to squirm, this is uncomfortable, you know. Tie off the thread about there. You want plenty to stitch the wound, but no too much,” Kathenirin said, watching Dane carry out her commands, “Now punch the needle through here. Yes, top this time. Now the bottom of the other side. Good. Just keep stitching like that and he should be fine,” Kathenirin watched as Dane quickly caught on and began to stitch without instruction. He was stitching quite well, for a man.
“Good! That should be all you need. Poke it up through one more time. Now tie it off like you did in the beginning. There we go!” she finished, looking at the stitching, “A bit clumsy and crooked, but it should be fine.”
“Kathenirin-”
“Let him rest for a day or so. He should be fine after that!”
“Kathenirin,” Dane exclaimed, “What do you know about that prophecy?”
“Well, what I told you, and that unless a dragon is specifically trying to kill you, a dragon can’t hurt you,” she said, then added, “either way, a dragon’s blood or fire wouldn’t harm you even if the dragon decided you were to die. Now, it is late. You may as well stay here for the night. Pick up the dragon. Watch how you do it, you don’t want to reopen the wound. Now come along.”
“But-”
“It’s late! Just come on and spend the night! You will be fine.”
“Very well,” Dane surrendered and follow Kathenirin to his room.

ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Dane woke up to a strange sound. It reminded Dane of something, but Dane couldn’t quite remember. He looked up to see the dragon was flying around the room, trying to find a way out.
“Where am I? What am I doing here? How do I get-” the dragon broke off as he realized that Dane was there, “A human! Get back, or I’ll burn you where you stand!”
“You can’t burn me,” Dane said, but that was all Dane had to say, as the dragon noticed Dane’s face.
“Wait. You’re the human that was supposed to help us. The one marked with a dragon. Who are you? Where are we?”
“My name is Dane and we are in the house of a well known healer who helped me stitch up that,” Dane replied, pointing to the dragon’s wound, “Now who are you and why did you help me?”
“I am Draco and I helped you because I saw your scar and that you were about to die. Why else?”
“Okay, but-”
“It’s great to meet you an all, Dane. But we have to go. We dragons were told that when a dragon found the Dragon Marked, they were to go to the Lake of Light.”
“Okay, but-”
“So we need to move soon. Let us go talk to this healer then get underway.”
“Okay, but-”
“Come on!” Draco called as he zoomed through the door Dane had just opened.
“Okay, but-”
“Ah! You’re awake!” Kathenirin said.
Kathenirin lead Dane downstairs and began to talk to Draco.
“Hello! Tell me, dragon, what is your name?”
“Draco.”
“How are you feeling? Not too hot or cold or anything.”
“I feel fine.”
“That is good,” she paused, then said, “You’re not sure about me. That is why to are saying very little to me. Oh! And you can go to the Lake of Light if you want, just take it easy. You don’t want to reopen the wound.”
“Thank you,” was Draco’s only reply.
“Dane, if you two must go to the Lake, then I suppose you will need some help. Keep an eye on Draco’s wound. That goes for the entire trip. I don’t like it that you two are leaving before his wound has healed. Just keep an eye on it and if it reopens, use the needles and thread I have here for you.”
Dane nodded and accepted the offer, putting the needles and thread in his pack where they were easily accessible. He looked back to Kathenirin and noticed she had something else. It was long, but wrapped in cloth. It almost looked like a sword.
“I was given this long ago and was told that I would know what to do with it when the time came. That time has come. I give it to you.”
She unwrapped the object, revealing an ancient sword, “This is Darastrixakuecha. In the language of magic, that means Dragon-Forged, for this blade was forged by man and dragon in days gone by. It will never break nor dull nor even scratch, for what is that the face of dragon fire?”
“Thank you, I don’t know what to say,” Dane said, shocked that Kathenirin would give him something like that.
“Hmm. I suppose I should warn you. Draco and you are connected in a special way. This pairing is usually between an human and an animal, which I use loosely. It is known by a number of names. Dæmon, Partner, Helper, Bonded. The name in the language of magic is Hauracha Kiabil. That means fated companion in the magic language or the Arcaniss Xanalre Their name in this language is your Companion. A normal dragon would help, but they would not risk their life for you. That is why I think Draco is your Companion.”
“But, how can he be my Companion? I’ve not seen him before recently!” Dane exclaimed.
“Some humans live their entire lives without ever meeting their Companion. But once a person has, very few things can top their connection. Many pairs of Companions, or a human and their Companion, prized their connection above everything else, even their mates. So be sure to watch Draco and try to keep him alive. One who has lost their Companion, be they animal or human, almost always goes mad. Some live wretched, miserable lives. Some wish for death. Some even wish for passage to Sultana Thaczil di Ti, which translates to the Endless Land of Not or Oblivion. So I say to you: Tir nit origato jacion loreat! ‘Do not let him die!’” Kathenirin pressed.
“Do not fear, healer. I am not as helpless as I appear and I will look after Dane as much as he after me. Batobot si inglata.” Draco said, surprising Dane.
“If that is how you feel, Draco, then I wish you both long life. Waph drong, Hauracha Kiabili, ihk svabol nomag qe ghoros wux ui ti vucat.
“Ti vucat nomag coi qe, si geou qe krathin,” Draco replied.
“Then to help you, I will give you what I can,” Kathenirin said, before saying, “Nomag wux mavorge svabol wux xoa vur dronilnr martivir ekess trian wer darastrixi vur wer munthreki. Nomeno si tiichi wux,” as Kathenirin finished, Dane noticed she looked strangely tired.
“Now go! Before the guards take up post again in the morning. This place cannot be attacked at night. But Durock is vulnerable in daylight. Go! Gethrisj!”
Dane obeyed. But as he walked out the door, he saw Kathenirin glance at the other door, almost looking afraid.

“Draco, what were you doing near where T’rostok and I were?” Dane asked Draco, wanting to break the silence that had dominated the journey since they left Kathenirin’s house. They had already been on the road for an hour and Draco hadn’t said a thing.
“I was cursing my luck,” Draco said plainly, “I just so happened to hatch a few days ago and my memories returned to me.”
“Returned? How could memories return if you never had any?”
“It’s a long story, but since we are going to be on the road for a while, I’ll tell you.”
“Six and twenty years ago, I first hatched. I was a reckless youth, always getting into trouble. I learned the error of my ways when I was about a year old. I then began to live my life as a helpful dragon. I helped whoever I could. Be they dragon, human, elf, moxtir, or dwarf, I would help them. When I had but six years, I heard that a dragon was terrorizing a village. I went there as fast as my wings would allow. Once there, I found the dragon. I tried reasoning with him, but he would not listen. We began to battle each other. Our fighting caused us to destroy many buildings, kill many humans. I remember as I slashed at the other dragon, my claw caught a human child’s head. The child went flying into a wrecked house. The child’s mother was already dead.” Draco paused, almost sounding like he was about to cry, “When the dragon finally realized that he couldn’t best me, he resorted to magic. His spell was wild and uncontained, desperate and cruel. His spell was to hold and torment the younger dragon, or me. Instead, it forced me younger and sealed me inside an egg. I had been forced to a newborn. Not only that, but while in my egg, as if to prevent me from breaking out too early, the spell blocked my memories. Which would eventually be a torment in and of itself. But as it was uncontrollable, it had a side effect. It allowed me to know everything happening just outside my egg and protect my egg from damage of any kind.”
“Needless to say, the other dragon was insane. So insane, he thought I had used magic turn myself into a rock to hide from him. As if I thought that would work. He was mad, so his reasoning was crazed. He swallowed my egg. Disgusting, I know, but he was mad. I, inside my egg, spent twenty years inside his stomach, as he couldn’t digest me. I only hatched because he threw up my egg. I don’t know why. Luckily, his reasoning was so far gone, he didn’t realize the pretty rock that came out of his mouth was my egg. I hatched after he had left. That was when I got my memories back. And it happened to be near where you would be a few days later.”
“That is … very disgusting,” Dane decided, “Why would anyone, even a madman, mad-dragon, do that?”
“I don’t know. Though something was different about this dragon. His scales were black, a color that has only appeared but rarely. That and his eyes were red, which has never happened. His entire eyes was red, pupils, irises, and whites.”
“There’s a legend among humans about black dragons.” Dane offered.
“There is? What is it?” asked Draco, mildly curious.
“Dragon armored bloody red, burning people to the dead.
Dragon silver, falsely shine, false friend taking wealth of mine.
Dragon bright and shiny gold, dragon only trust I hold.
Dragon black, evil to core, may never meet or live no more.
That is what I can remember.”
“Human don’t have a high opinion of dragons,” Draco observed.
“Dragons have been destroying human villages, towns, and even a city since it all started at Adrian,” Dane replied.
“So by failing to defeat that dragon, I’ve cracked open the door of human annihilation,” Draco said with a hint of depression.
Dane looked at Draco before saying, “That door has been opened before, if history is right. It has also been closed before. Humans have the tendency to survive, and tend to strike back when their enemies think they are down. Don’t worry. They should survive until we stop this mad dragon. They might even help.”
“That’s … reassuring,” Draco paused before saying, “Dane? Thank you. For keeping me away from the memories that would destroy me. From my failures.”
“Not keeping you away. Teaching you how to face them. That was one of the lessons taught to me by my father, Sir Firrik.”
“He sounds like a wise man.”
“He hates dragons, he saw the destruction at Adrian.”
“He saw the battle?”
“No, he saw what was left,” Dane replied.

Draco’s mind a mass of conflicting emotions. On one hand, he was sad, angry and depressed that he had failed humans. On the other, he was going to right his wrongs and not only that, but Dane’s statement about humans also calmed him to know that even in the destruction that followed, humans would still be there.
There was also a lot of guilt. So much, he wanted to scream. Guilt over the child, his failure, not being there, not trying harder, for the destruction of Adrian. So much guilt! If only he had a way, if only-.
“Did you say something?” Dane asked, startling Draco out of his thoughts.
“No, why?”
“Because I thought I heard something.”
“What?”
“It almost sounded like, like words.”
Words like this? Draco thought hard, now very suspicious.
“Yes, they sounded exactly like that! How did you say them like that? Also, why are you yelling?” Dane asked, oblivious that Draco had said nothing out loud.
I’m not saying them, I thinking them. Draco said, using his thoughts, though he didn’t try as hard as before.
“Ha! Right. I can’t read people’s minds.”
Then look at me.
Dane looked at Draco. Draco spoke to him using his mind, without opening his mouth, See? I told you.
“But- but how? Can you hear me?” Dane said before concentrating.
“Nothing.”
“Can all dragons do this?”
“Not that I know of.” Draco said.
“Could this be something that comes from being Companions?”
“It seems likely.”
“Strange.”
“That it is, but I really didn’t know was possible. Kind of like some dragons being able to “breathe” ice instead of fire.”
“Strange,” Dane said again, just before someone yelled, “Not as strange a human talking to a vile dragon!”
At this, Dane swung around. Behind them were three men with naked blades. The man who had spoken stepped forward, “Now, why don’t you step away from the dragon and lay down your weapons and no one gets hurt.”
Follow his instructions. I have a plan.
Dane heard Draco and decided to trust his judgement. Dane slowly drew his sword, then laid it on the ground. He did the same with his dagger. He then slowly stepped away from Draco.
“Good! Now, what are you doing here? And why are you traveling with such vile creatures as dragons?”
“Dragon bright and shiny gold, dragon only trust I hold. That is why.”
“Such poems are lies. All dragons are evil!”
“This one has not wronged me,” Dane replied.
“He is biding his time, waiting to strike when you least expect it!”
“No.”
“No?! No!?! You dare ignore me!?! I am Lord Destrios! Lord of Forack!”
“You are not. Forack is three days journey eastward. I am in more danger from you than from my friend here.” Dane said coolly, stunning the False Destrios.
“What-?”
“I also happen to know Destrios and know that he would listen to the person before deciding judgement, even if the person travels with a dragon. He also believes in the, as you call them, poems.”
“Lies!”
“Are they?” Dane challenged, “Prove to me that you are Destrios. Who is Destrios’ most trusted companion?”
“Uhh. His advisor?”
“No,” before anyone could move, Draco blasted out of the bushes where he had sneaked off to while Dane distracted the men. Draco slammed his shoulder into the chest for the False Destrios, who stumbled and fell over. Before the False Destrios could get up, a sword appeared from nowhere and stabbed into his chest.
Dane withdrew his sword and charged at the two remaining men. Draco took to distracting one man while Dane went for the other.
The man flashed his blade up, as if to take off Dane’s head, but then brought it down to cleave Dane at the waist. Dane brought his sword forward into a stab while the man was feinting to his head, impaling the man as his sword was being lowered to slash at Dane’s waist. Dane turned and saw Draco using his claws to rip out the remaining man’s throat.
“I would have rather not hurt these men, but your species are quite keen on battle,” remarked Draco.
“Not all, but many.” was all Dane could say.
“Aye. Many, indeed,” Draco said, “You asked the man who Destrios’ most trusted companion is. Who is it?”
“A gold scaled dragon named Foren. Foren hides himself to avoid causing unwanted attention and questions. But if Destrios would listen to anyone, it would be Foren. Which would make him an oddity, considering most people’s feelings about dragons, even gold scaled ones. But few people know about Foren.”
“That is the life of a dragon now. Secrecy and hiding. Chikohk wer lodeg darastrix batobot tira nomeno.”
“Those words. What do they mean?” Dane asked as he started to continue their journey.
“You don’t know?”
“No. Only what Kathenirin told me.”
“Then I shall teach you.”
“Really?”
“Of course. For one thing, if you happen to be one of those rare creatures who are adept with magic before they learn to use it, then this language will do you well, if not, you can start training with magic and grow strong.”
“Very well, let’s start.” Dane replied.
“First, the most basic spell a mage can use is holding your enemy in place, while you can adjust what you want by what you say, simply saying ‘Jilg’ will work for now. Just focus your will and say ‘Jilg.’”
“Jilg!” Dane said, focusing his will. He decided to try to hold Draco in place. Draco gave a startled cry that was cut off as he suddenly stopped. His wings, body, legs, everything suddenly stopped as soon as Dane had cast his spell.
“I’m sorry, It worked but, sorry.”
“What...are...you...sorry...about?...Focus...your...will...and...say…‘Duulo’...to...release...me.” Draco struggled to say as the spell held his mouth closed.
“Right. Duulo!” Dane said, focusing. Draco dropped and barely stopped himself from slamming his face into the ground.
“You are an one of the rare adepts. Amazing!” Draco exclaimed, “Now, to hold something specific, you can specify that thing, like you could said ‘Jilg caex’ to hold an incoming sword in place or say ‘Jilg Draco’ to specifically hold me. Go ahead, try it. I’ll be fine this time.”

ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

“Whew! All this training sure makes one tired!” Dane exclaimed as they stopped for the day.
“Absolutely. You are straining your will and physical strength with every spell you cast. As I said earlier, you can only do what you have the will and energy for.” Draco replied, “Remember though, specifying what you want to spell to do takes less willpower as you don’t have to focus as hard on what you want the spell to do, but it takes that same amount of energy regardless of how specific it is.”
“Then what happened to that crazy black dragon’s spell?”
“He only said ‘Jilg vur jivelgg wer ghergoilt darastrix,’ or ‘Hold and torment the younger dragon.’ He was so insane at this point, that, while he has the energy and the will for the spell, he wasn’t able to focus on what he wanted the spell to do. So the spell did something unexpected, but still got it’s energy from him.”
“Really?” Dane asked.
“Indeed. If you lack the focus to keep your spell on track, it can do virtually anything within the guidelines of your words. If you lack the willpower, you are unable to cast the spell. Finally, if you lack the energy, it consumes all the energy it can, kills you and you die in vain.”
“Really?”
“Aye. So do not cast a spell if you are too tired or can’t focus.”
They continued walking (or flying low, in Draco’s case) for a couple minutes before Draco suddenly stopped.
Don’t move. There is something following us. I don’t know what, but it’s there.
Dane stopped and waited. Nothing moved. Draco continued to search the area, but nothing became apparent. After about five minutes of searching, Draco had to admit defeat. If something was following them, he couldn’t see it.
Something was following us. Of that I’m sure.

Draco struggled. There was nothing else to do. Someone had bound him and he had to escape. He heard struggling behind him to his left, where he guessed Dane was bound. He struggled harder. Unseen creatures grabbed him.
“Don’t drink! Draco! Don’t drink!” Dane yelled, still struggling.
The unseen creatures plunged Draco’s head into water. Draco! Draco struggled to get his head above water. Draco! Don’t drink! Draco struggled, but he felt weaker and weaker. His lungs needed air. Don’t drink! Draco couldn’t hold his breath any longer. He drank. Draco!
Draco woke with a start.
“Whoooa there Nellie! You were twisting and turning like a bucking horse, Draco. What kind of dreams do you have to get that?” Dane said, playfully.
“I-I don’t know. I can’t remember any dreams.” Draco said.
“I can. Your’s, I mean. You were projecting it rather strongly.”
“Was I?”
“Yes, I couldn’t see clearly, but it looked like someone was trying to drown you.”
“That doesn’t feel right.”
“Well, it was probably just a nightmare. A bad dream.” Dane said.
“Maybe.” Draco wasn’t sure. The dream felt important, but he just couldn’t remember it. But whatever it was, it wasn’t just a simply bad dream. But what was it?
“I feel-I feel as if the dream is very important.”
“Hmm. Well, we will have to go without. Important though it may be, you do not remember and I couldn’t see enough to figure out what the dream was.”
“I hope we aren’t making a bad choice.”
“We’ll be fine. Now come on, we need to get going.”
Dane turned and began walking back to the road. Draco looked after him and sighed. Why do I get this feeling that Dane is more than he looks? And the dream. Why is it bothering me like this? Should it? Should either of these?
“Hey! Draco! Come on!”
Draco sighed again. It would have to wait. Draco took off and flew after Dane. Dane started walking again almost as soon as Draco had taken off. Dane was seemed to be acting strange. Draco pondered this as they travelled. What was there for Dane to hide? For that had to be what was happening.
Dane? What is wrong? Draco tried.
“Nothing. Why do you ask?”
You are acting strange. You are impatient, which, from what I saw off you before, is not normal for you. You normally are cautious. You would have walked into a trap if it meant getting going. So I ask again, what is wrong?
“I just want to stop this dragon, whoever he is, and I don’t want to waste time.”
Draco felt this was wrong. but didn’t pursue it. Dane had a reason for hiding whatever it was. Draco settled into the routine of a long time of travel, and was about to start teaching Dane more about Arcaniss Xanalre, when he heard Dane say something. Draco realized he wasn’t talking to him and strained his ears to try to hear him.
“...cursed as I am, I will not give in. I will fight them all. But I do not know how long I can go on. Not with the wolves last night…” Dane voice sank below Draco hearing, then returned, “...I only wish my curse was like others and not every night.”
Draco pondered those words. Every night? What curse and why is it every night? Draco wondered and was about to ask when Dane started up again, “I only wish I could…” Dane’s voice faded out, then came back, “...I wish, but I dare not. I don’t know what could happen.”
He wishes what? Draco wondered and was about to ask when he heard Dane grunt and mutter, “That bite the alpha gave me still hurts, I thought with my…”Dane voice seemed to drop for one word before rising again, “healing, that it would have completely healed. Must be something with wolves.” Draco thought about this new tidbit. His what healing? He’s a human. Human have no special healing powers, not without magic and I haven’t taught him yet and he knows little of magic. So what healing does he have? But he couldn’t help but wonder one thing. Just who is Dane? What curse does he have? Why hasn’t he mentioned it?
“Draco? Are you...okay?” Dane asked.
“What? Oh! Yes, I’m fine,” Draco answered.
He knows something, did he hear me? Dane thought. Please don’t have heard me. Telling him, it might drive him away. With what I am, I can’t have that happen, not with what would happen.
“I was just worried.”
“Thank you.”
Dane noticed then that Draco was bigger. He was almost the length of Dane’s whole arm. Dane decided that it was more funny than disheartening that he didn’t notice. “Draco, you’re growing.”
“I am?” Draco asked, surprised, “So, I am! I didn’t notice!”
“Ha ha! I thought I was the only one!” Dane laughed. Draco looked at him, then began laughing along.

“Draco?” Dane called.
“Hmm?”
“Where is this Lake of Light?”
“I don’t actually know. Legend puts the Ryna di Mitne, or Lake of Light, somewhere in this direction.” Draco admitted, “I only know that we have to find it.”
“Then we could spend forever searching for the Lake?”
“We could, but I don’t think we will.”
“That’s...depressing.” Dane said as he continued to walked, “But I guess yo-. Hey, what’s that?” Dane pointed at a strange looking, furry shape on the ground.
“Let’s find out.”
As they approached, Draco recognized it as a wolf. Dane became more and more worried as they got closer. The wolf was lying there with a little blood around it. The wolf was covered in injuries that obviously should have left more blood.
“Dane. These are claw and teeth marks. I think a wolf did this. But these are so large. The only wolf that could do this…” Draco broke off.
“What is it Draco?” Dane asked, nervous.
“The only wolf that could do this…” Draco repeated, “Is a direwolf.”
“A … direwolf?”
“Wolves that are large, cunning, and intelligent.”
“Oh, you mean dark wolves. But, direwolf seems … a better description.”
“So you do know of these creatures?”
“Yes. I … do.”
Draco wondered about this. Direwolves were known universally as direwolves. How couldn’t Dane know that name?
“You’ve never heard of the name direwolf?”
“No. I’ve learned of dark wolves.”
Draco studied Dane. Dane appeared calm, but was that a hint of worry? Draco decided to test it. Prepping his will, Draco casted a spell he had never had reason before.
“Dane, renthisj thric wharacic!” Draco spoke, watching Dane.
“What does that mean? You need to let me know.” Dane said, an expression of curiosity on his face.
“It is a spell, and it translates to ‘Dane, speak no lies.’ Under its effects, you cannot speak anything not true,” Draco replied, “Dane, did you know of the name direwolf?”
“I said no,” Dane replied.
“Dane. Yes or no. did you know of the name direwolf?”
“N-. N-,” Dane couldn’t finish. His tongue seemed to tie up in knots when he tried, “N-. Fine! Yes! I did! Does it matter?” he cried angrily.
“I just wanted to know. Why did you try to hide it?” Draco asked.
“Agh! I didn’t want you to know. I’ve encountered a direwolf before.”
Satisfied that Dane had told him the truth, Draco said, “The spell to counter this one goes, ‘Dane, wux nomag renthisj wharacic,’” Draco casted the spell, “Go ahead, speak a lie.”
“I am not a human.” Dane said, wary of the spell stopping him, “Now can we keep going? I think we just wasted enough time with this.
Draco wasn't’ sure it was a waste of time, but they did need to keep moving. Dane began to walk farther down the road and, after a pause, Draco began to follow.