Crazy Summer at Camp Half-Blood | Teen Ink

Crazy Summer at Camp Half-Blood

By Demigod123, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Demigod123, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

This started out as an EGC piece for my school. My teacher said it would be great as a short story piece, and I have made multiple more like it.

It is the only chapter being a short story. Hope you like it.

As I approached Camp Half-Blood for the third time, I saw Kevin and Rosa fighting. You see Rosa is the Daughter of Aphrodite and Kevin is the Son of Ares and they don’t exactly get along. I was running up to stop them, and I ran into Kerri.

“Catelyn, how was your school year?” she asked.

“It was fine, but I….” I pointed to my friends and they were still fighting.

“Oh I see; go save them from each other.” she said bitterly, as though she hated me.

When I finally got there they stopped fighting. Kevin just stared at me. But Rosa ran up to hug me.

“Catelyn, how was school this year, no monster attacks?” she asked.

It was fine and there was only one monster attack. Hi Kevin”

“Hi Catelyn,” he said as he and I both blushed.

I am Catelyn, Daughter of Poseidon, and this is the summer my life would never be the same. This would be a summer I would never forget. Something would change, not in a bad way. I felt it would be for the best.

I guess it started the night of the third year at camp. I was helping my friends sharpen their weapons (if you remember they were just fighting) when a satyr ran up to us.

“Daughters of Aphrodite and Poseidon, Son of Ares, Charion wants to see all of you,” he stated shaking.

“What does he need?” Kevin asked.

The satyr responded,

“I don’t know, but all of you know not to keep him waiting.”

As the three of us walked over to the Big House we ran into Kerri again.

“Daughter of Poseidon, what is wrong?” Kerri asked me.

“Well, Daughter of Hades, that is none of your concern now is it?” Kevin snapped. I had no idea why he was so nice to me. I told Kerri not to worry, Charion wanted to see us at the Big House.

As we approached the Big House no one would let us in. As soon as I saw what happened I understood why. THERE WAS NO BIG HOUSE!!! Where it once stood, was now a pile of rubble. Thankfully, we didn’t find Charion, but we did find one of his arms, which held a note.

“What  does it say?” Rosa asked.

“Well, what I can make out is that Charion made it out, but he needs us to travel to Olympus (It was moved to the top of the empire state building a while back or you could just say it was moved to Western civilization). He believes one of our parents is responsible for this,” I told them. Terror struck their eyes.

“We all know that Ares is responsible for this,” Rosa said as she looked over at Kevin.

Kevin didn’t say anything, but his eyes told me that he thought his dad had done it also. I told him with my eyes that if it was his dad he would not be held responsible.

“The note also says that Kerri has to go along!! NO WAY!!!” I said.

"Well, Charion said she needs to go along so I’ll get her.” Under her breath she exclaimed  “Ha! I’d rather be going with Hades himself than with her any day,” Rosa said as she turned to go get her in the Hades Cabin.

As everyone at the camp knew me and Kerri did not like each other. Her father was always trying to take Olympus away from my dad and Zeus.

“Are we ready? ” Kerri asked knowing it would annoy me.

"Yes, I have all the supplies we need; all I need to do is grab my sword,” I said through gritted teeth. As I came back out of my cabin with my sword ( it looks like a ball point pen until you click it down).

Kevin turned to me and said, “It will all be over soon. Just hold on for a week.”

And just like that we were on our way to New York City.

. . .

The first and second nights were quiet; it was on the third night this all changed. We made camp for the night in a cave that would have usually taken four nights to find. Since we were ahead of schedule we decided to stay there for a couple nights.

“I can barely think in here!” Kerri said.

So I politely suggested that she jump off a cliff, that I believe would have been the best idea I’d ever had.

“Catelyn, Rosa, we need to talk,” Kevin said.

I and Rosa followed him outside. But when we got out there staring at us was a Hellhound. But Kevin and I couldn’t see it. Only Rosa could and she knew what that meant, it meant that she would not live to see the end of the mission.

“I’m just gonna go back in the cave with Kerri.” Rosa said nervously.

“Catelyn, you and I have been friends for three years, and I was wondering…”

“AAHHHH”

We heard a scream from inside the cave. Kevin and I ran in weapons drawn to find Rosa dead.

As I sob, I look at Kerri, who has an evil grin on her face. She was covered with Rosa’s blood and it was gooey and red, I knew it was fresh I knew the look of fresh blood all too well. Kevin looked at Kerri with great anger. I’ve never seen him look so angry in all the years I’ve known him.

“I’LL KILL YOU!” Kevin yelled in anger.
    “Ha! I’d love to see you try, ‘son of Aries’.” Kerri said mockingly.

And just like that with one swipe of the sword she was dead.

“I guess there are some advantages to being the son of the War God.” Kevin said and shrugged off the fact he had just killed the daughter of Hades.

As I knelt over the body of my best friend, I tipped over my water bottle. Right then and there I found out that I could revive with water. Rosa got up and was confused.

“Why is she crying? What’s going on? Did I miss something?” Rosa asked

. . .

When we got to Olympus we asked the Gods, “Who destroyed the Big House at the Greek Camp?”

Just then Hades walked into the room laughing

“Did you see what happened to that building at that dumb camp! Or how that moronic daughter of Aphrodite died?”

He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me standing next to my father.

“What is she doing here?” He asked pointing at me.

“Well, my daughter was just telling me someone blew up the Big House at the camp, and I just figured out who it is ‘brother’.” Poseidon said in almost a hiss. “ Hades, you are to return to the underworld and never return!”

Just then Kevin popped a question

"Catelyn, daughter of Poseidon, do you want to go out with me?!?”

My father had a certain look in his eyes, like why would you do this here and now.

”Aries control your son.” (Poseidon)

“Awww you two make such a good couple” ( Rosa)

Everyone had something to say. Finally I got irritated,

“EVERYONE SHUT UP!!”  As I stood there I told him that yes I did want to go out with him and Hades took advantage of this wonderful moment and made it all horrible, as Hades is known for, and he knocked down the ceiling right on top of me. I felt my leg and arm break. The last thing I heard was from my dad.

"HADES, YOU HAVE GONE TOO…”

That was the last thing I heard before I passed out from the pain. When I woke up my dad, Zeus, Kevin, Rosa, and my mom were standing by my bedside. All I could think about was what had happened on the quest, Kerri getting killed, how I actually missed her a little, how Kevin asked me out, and how my leg and arm hurt like h***.  As I was about to pass out again I muttered,

“ My life has changed forever in ways I never thought it would.” And I passed out.

To Be Continued…..