Vacation Memories | Teen Ink

Vacation Memories

Here I am sitting on the beach of Florida.  As I look into the sky, I think of how lucky I am to have this moment. Which is lying here with the wind blowing through my hair. Some people are just sitting at home in Wisconsin, watching television.  As the time goes by, I make many wonderful memories in Florida, like running through the ocean water. This vacation I will never forget. The one day that I felt luckier than ever.
It was a hot, humid summer day, in July.  I was sitting on the couch with my feet in the air, watching Full House, when all of a sudden my mom walks through the big, old, brown door that led to the garage. As she came inside she is talking on the phone with my grandma. She has red, wavy hair.  She is wearing blue shorts, and an orange t-shirt.  As she hangs up the phone, she began yelling for my sister from her bedroom.  My sister walks to the kitchen in curiosity.  My mom continues to talk to us when she decides to tell us that we were going to Florida.  My sister and I began to scream in excitement.  She explains to us that we will be leaving with Grandma and Grandpa in two weeks.  My sister and I are so excited, we began packing already.  I stuff clothes into a suitcase and set my suitcase next to my bed.
Two weeks went by, and it was the night were leaving for Florida.  I didn’t know what to expect.  We were leaving at four o’clock in the morning.  Our drive would take up three days to get there.  As I sat in the vehicle for hours, my back became numb, and it began to ache.  I couldn’t sit still, anxious to be on the beach.
I’ve never seen the ocean before.  I expect to see many different kinds of unusual fish.  I hope to be able to lay on the warm sand for hours.  I hope to collect as many shells as I can find.  I want to be able to swim in the warm water of the ocean. 
The temperature is way different here than it is back at home in Wisconsin.  Here the air is humid and 100 degrees.   At home, it was humid but only 80 degrees.
  Two days have gone by, I’ve been more and more excited to be on the beach next to the ocean.  We are now in Florida.  So far I’ve seen alligators in the ditches of the highway. 
As I look out the window, I become more and more interested in the trees.  In Wisconsin, when looking out the window, all there is to see are pine trees.  Here in Florida there is no pine trees, but they have palm trees.  Looking at the weird texture of the palm trees makes me want to feel the rough bark on the trees.
  As we become closer to our destination, I begin to see the ocean.  In excitement I gasp, “There’s the ocean!” The water looks so warm and refreshing.  All I want to do is jump out of the car and go swimming. 
As we pull into our hotel parking lot, I am jumping up and down in excitement.  I am in a rush to get into our hotel room.  As we put our bags on the cart, I look at the hotel. The hotel is enormous. The building was taller than any hotel back at home.  As we enter the two sliding doors, we see the front desk.  The counter of the desk is old, and fancy.  Looking around the lobby, I see an elevator, two long hallways, and a lounging area.  The couches were sitting across from each other with a coffee table between them. Both of the couches were brown leather. They each had a white blanket draped perfectly on the back of them.
Anxious to enter our hotel room, my sister and I run down the hallway.  As we run we look at all of the different numbers to the different rooms, 360… 372… 380.  Our room number is 380.
As my grandpa opens up the door to the hotel room, my sister and I run into the room.  The hotel room has a hallway leading to the small kitchen.  Next to the kitchen, is a small living room. The living room has two couches, and a rocking chair.  Everything is perfectly set into place.  As I walk down the other small hallway, I enter the bedroom.  The bedroom is big enough for two king size beds. The beds are perfectly made.  Above the bed there is a huge mirror, big enough to cover half of the wall.  The smell of cleaning spray is still lingering in the air.
I run back into the living room, and move the curtains covering the windows.  As I move the curtains my mouth drops open in surprise, I could see the beach shore just right outside the window of my hotel room.
I open my suitcase in excitement, throwing all of the clothes onto the floor, leaving a mound of clothes.  Once I find my swimming suit I run into the bathroom to change into my swimming suit.
Once I walk down by the beach, I run across the hot sand feeling the sand rub between my toes.  When I reach to the water, I step my foot in the sand, that is in the water.  In shock of how cold the water is I jump out of the water.
As I wait for my family to walk down to the beach, I take a seat in the warm sand on the beach.  Sitting on the beach looking out into the ocean as far as I can see, I think to myself about how lucky I am to be able to be sitting on the beach right now.
While I am sitting on the beach, I put my hand down on the sand, and as I do this I feel something move.  I look down and see a little, tiny crab pushing itself into the sand.  As I sat there I pull the crab out of the sand and lay it on top, just to watch itself swim its way back into the sand again.
As my family finally walks out to the beach we go for a small walk on the ocean shore.  As we are walking my sister is carrying a bag that we can fill with all of the shells we want to keep.  As we walk along the beach we feel the sand sinking in between our toes.  We feel the ocean breeze blowing through our hair. 
A week has passed, and it’s time to go home. As I spend one last day in Florida, I spend it on the beach. Saying one last goodbye to the ocean. I will never forget the great memories that I spent on the beach. The memories that happened in Florida will stay in my head until we go again.