Rain Falling, Water killing | Teen Ink

Rain Falling, Water killing

May 2, 2016
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I was writting fiction with my class in school and thought I would share.


Rain falling, water killing

“You know what, Nate? I don’t want to hear your complaining; you sound spoiled and it’s ridiculous. Your sister is taking the window seat. Now move. Forward.”
The Brazilian man with perfectly hardened hair brown skin in his late 40s smiled and ripped their tickets. Looking past them to the next person in line, he murmured “Have a safe flight”.
  Olivia pulled on her dad’s hand and jumped up and down all the way through the gate way.
“Stop Olivia, you’re so frustrating! Just chill,” Nate said.
“Hey Nate cut her some slack she’s excited don’t you remember flying for the first time?”
  “Yea but it’s really not that exciting”
“You know what Nate? Just keep your mouth shut, how about that? Then maybe we can all enjoy our long flight.”
“Whatever Dad”.
Nate and his dad walked into the plane and showed the flight attendant their tickets. “Row 19 B and C so you’re right this way.” She pointed down the second aisle.
“Honey, we’re right down this way.” Henry pointed to the second isle. Lisa, holding Olivia’s hand, gave the flight attendant their tickets and was sent off down the first aisle. “Babe,” she called over her shoulder, “we’re in Row 12. How is it that we got so separated?”
  “I have no idea honey. Maybe someone forgot to book the flights until the last minute.”.

Nodding in recognition, Lisa threw her carry on up in the overhead area. “Olivia pass me your stuff.” Olivia gave her mom the Dora the Explorer bag she had been wheeling around the airport. “Thank God this stupid thing fits,” Lisa thought to herself.
Over and down a ways Henry and Nate situated themselves, and the entire Roland family was ready to get going to Brazil. Lisa’s phone went off in her pocket; it was a text message from Henry. Wow that was a bit hectic but hey we’re here now. Damn trasitions are tough for this family. Let’s work on tht. Lisa smiled and replied. Love you Henry. I’m glad were doing this vacation. Gonna be so fun for us and the kids. The little bubble came up and immediately Henry replied, love you too. Lisa’s train of thought was cut off when the intercom came on.
“Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the Fasten Seat Belt sign. If you haven’t already done so, please stow your carry-on luggage underneath the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. Please take your seat and fasten your seat belt.
“Come on Olivia. Buckle up!” Lisa put her hands across Olivia’s waist and fastened the seat belt as tightly as looked comfortable. Then she fastened hers so tightly it was hard for her to breath. The plane started to move, the giant wheels slowly rolling along the cold ground of Logan International Airport. Lisa gripped her seat. Lisa did not want to make her kids feel scared of flying. She knew in her mind that it was such an irrational fear. She thought about all the different things more likely to happen to her than being in a plane crash.
The plane had been moving slowly for a while now and suddenly stopped. Lisa wasn’t stupid. She had been fearful on planes before. This meant they were about to take off after taxiing to their runway. Her window shade was closed and she wasn’t planning on opening it. She could hear the engines get louder and louder and suddenly the plane was shaking. They were moving fast. Olivia opened the window shade but Lisa didn’t even notice her eyes were closed. The spaces between the lines on the runway were passing faster and faster. Lisa’s hands were getting whiter and whiter with her tight grip. Finally, the plane left the pavement and was in the air. The slight buzz of the turning jet engine in the air was not nearly as scary as the sound it made on the ground. Lisa relaxed her grip and stretched her cramped legs out.
“Honey how was that?”
Olivia was pressed up against the tempered glass.
“So cool, Mom! I loved it!”
“Good! Now sit back and try to sleep a little: we have a long flight in front of us.”
The plane continued to climb higher until finally the pilot turned off the seat belt sign. Lisa’s stress was relieved temporarily. She finally leaned over Olivia and looked out the window the clouds passing beneath her. She was nervous yet found it almost relaxing to be up that high. Lisa leaned back in her seat and shut her very heavy eyes.
“Dad, I’m super hungry right now.”
“Well I’m sure they will be coming around with snacks Nate, so give it a few. Why don’t you get a little shut eye and I’ll wake you up if they come around.”
“Actually that’s not a bad idea.”
“See, I’m not the dumbest guy in the world.”
“Yea, well, you’re not genius.”
“Just shut your eyes.”
With just about everyone on the plane asleep, Henry too shut his eyes which soon put him to sleep.
“Ding!” The Roland family and everyone else on board Flight 54 was woken by the classic fasten seat belt sign. Soon afterward, the pilot came on the radio.
“Ladies and gentlemen, please take your seats as soon as possible and fasten your seat belts tightly. We’re about to fly into some minor turbulence.”
Lisa, panicking, stopped the flight attendant. “Is everything going to be ok?”
“Ma’am I need you to remain calm and stay in your seat”
Of course this didn’t help Lisa or anyone around her. People started to get nervous in their seats. One conversation between the stewardess and Lisa erupted into an entire plane full of noise.
“Jesus Christ what the hell is going on?”  Nate asked his dad.
“I don’t know Nate, but just tighten your seat belt just to be sure.”
The bumps started to come, first just a slight wobble and a bit of a drop. Nate felt his stomach sink. He looked out the window; he could just barely see the tip of the blinking wing in the fog. It was bouncing, but not too badly.
“I bet Mom is freaking out,”
“Yep.”
Everything stopped for a moment. Lisa loosened her grip on the very squished arm rest. All of a sudden the plane dove for a second. Lisa’s upper body slammed forward, hitting her head on the seat in front of her. She lay limp in her seat.
  “Mom, Mommy, Mom!” Olivia started to cry. “Mom wake up!”
Oxygen masks dropped out of the ceiling and a man behind Lisa and Olivia put one over Olivia, then pulled Lisa back in her seat and strapped the mask around her.
“Buckle up sweetie, your Mom is going to be ok. Just stay back in your seat,” he lied blatantly. Lisa wasn’t going to be okay. The hard blow to the head had given her a major concussion and she was unconscious.
The plane was definitely falling out of the sky but in a gliding sort of way. The front of the plane pointed down and the sound of the engines wasn’t there. There was a slight whistle but it definitely wasn’t powerful sounding. Henry and Nate held on to each other and gazed towards the front of the plane.
The pilot finally came on. “We have lost power to all of our engines and we will be making an emergency landing in the Atlantic Ocean. Life jackets are under your seats.”. The brief short announcement sent more fear throughout the cabin
Henry turned to Nate who had already put on his lifejacket.
“I am going to check on mom”
“stay buckled I will be right back”
“No f***ing way dad I am coming with you”
Nate had already unbuckled and climbed over into the isle. Everyone else was seated and the flight attendant yelled from down the plane. “Sir get back in your seat now!”. Nate was surprised he had never heard a flight attendant be so strict in his life. Despite the orders they cut across to the other row.  Olivia was crying and scared. Henry Came around the corner and saw Lisa unconscious with a huge blood stain on her white pants. It still was pouring out of her nose.
The pilot came on to interrupt Henrys train of thought. “prepare for impact 1 minute”
“Olivia is mom ok?”
“I don’t know” she replied crying trying not to look at the blood.
Henry rushed down the isle with Nate close behind. Henry quickly brought Lisa to an upright position and fastened her seat belt tighter than it was.
“Guys there is nothing we can do right now about your mother. We are just going to wait until we land and get help”
“But dad we are going to land in the Atlantic”
“Nate just calm down and go sit down in your seat”
“Olivia daddy has to go sit down in his seat there isn’t another one near here just hag tight as soon as we land Ill come right to you”
Nate and Henry rushed back to there seats and quickly buckled up henry opened his window shade and saw the ocean. “Dad we are about to hit”. Henry started to cry “are we going to die dad?”. “Son were going to be ok”. Henry didn’t know that for sure but he really wanted it to be true.
The captain came on “10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1”
A piercing scream of metal on metal scratching filled the passenger’s ears. Water started to seep through the c***pit into the aisles. There was still screaming many different languages all a blur in Henrys head. Nate opened the window shade and saw water start to go over the outside of the plane. Henry grabbed him and pulled him out into the isle. There were people everywhere all screaming. No one could hear anyone. Nate held on to the back of Henrys jacket to stay connected. They impeded into the other aisle to see Olivia shaking her mom.
“Mom! Mom!”
Lisa had more blood coming out of her nose and had collapsed with her head hanging down.
“Lisa, Lisa!” Henry shouted .
The plane was filling with water. Water touched the tip of Henrys shoes. He and his kids were going to drown very soon. Henry pushed his way through crowds of distressed people, Nate trailing behind. Olivia climbed over the seven seats behind her and into Henry’s arms.
“She hit her head again!” Olivia cried.
Suddenly water started rushing down the aisle. Nate looked up. “Dad look people are getting out!” The front exit door was now slightly open a few people squeezing out the crack of it with there life jackets on and then floating to the surface.
Let’s go let’s go”
“I’m not leaving Mom!” Olivia cried.
Water was now up to Henrys waist. There was no way any of them were getting out from all the way in the back. Henry knew they were dead. His mind rushed with ideas but none of them were feasible. He looked towards the back of the plane for the exit. It was not reachable with the crowds of people. He felt the water by his chest. He turned and saw Olivia and Nate trying to move forward but the aisle was blocked solid with struggling people. He pulled them back to him. “Guys, never forget this. I love you.”
Olivia and Nate looked at him with despair. He hugged them both, shutting his eyes, trying not to look at Lisa who was underwater by now. Making sure they didn’t turn around to see Lisa, he cried. His eyes, shut, tears flooding his face, he held his children and felt the water trickle over his mouth.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.