The Quest Journey Story Book Thing | Teen Ink

The Quest Journey Story Book Thing

MICK

Back to the grind- work can be hell on earth, but as long as it earns you money, I’m in. I live in Appleport city, which is very populated this time of year, especially in August. Dang tourists. They make my job difficult, flooding our streets and giving criminals an open season. I don’t play nice. The thing with this city is that everything is ten stories high, including the police station and the port-a-potties. So I’m riding up an elevator right now crammed with people who don’t even try to be hygienic. When I get out, I can see smell exit the elevator and the people follow. I walk to my desk, which has succeeded to obtain in the smell from the elevator. In time, I will soon be able to get the big one. By that I mean get the actual office in the other room, separate from everyone else, with an air freshener. But patience.
There’s a lot of news about space, and some distant universe. We’re all watching the one TV which everyone crowds around in the small room on coffee break. I’m in the back, so I can barely see the screen. Other news, I just spilled a latte all over my shirt. I proceed to the bathroom in an utterly fashion. My life is going nowhere right now. I think it’s time to let someone else narrate.

REECE
I’m sweating. This case is not going well. I’m stuck defending a murderer while Dousen, the old, rich experienced lawyer is killing me, point after point, poking holes in every argument I make. The defendant, my client, glares at me, but hey, if he didn’t go around MURDERING people, he wouldn’t have gotten himself into this mess, and I wouldn’t have had to do this. 45 minutes later, I’m shamefully walking out of the courtroom, as my client is brought to jail. I’m a lawyer and I’m poor. That’s a good situation to be in. Nobody wanted me except this lunatic who is impossible to defend. I pretty much spend all my money on food, water, and a nice set of hair I like to keep tidy with about two haircuts a week. I’m just kidding, I lost my hair a couple years ago. Pretty much all the main characters of this story are bald. Why? I have no idea. I guess the illustrator was just too lazy to give us hair. But then again, there is no illustrator. This doesn’t make any sense. Now I’m rambling. That’s what you get for letting Mick give me the narration for the next part. I don’t even know who Mick is yet. So anyway, I’m walking out of the courtroom. You’d think that after all that narration I’d be outta here already. Nope. The story mysteriously pauses and somehow I have all these thoughts in like a millisecond. And then somehow you’re supposed to interpret that I’m thinking that fast. Again, rambling. Time to move onto the next paragraph.
Mick didn’t explain all that much about this society. It stinks. Well, it stinks for everybody except for the rich of the rich. Those people who live up top on the highest skyscrapers and watch us down below, suffering, trying to earn something. There’s a mayor, who doesn’t know what the heck he’s doing, and the police are slow. Which is also why my defendant was so despicably guilty, and how I was terrible at defending that guilt. He had no chance of being innoguilty, I mean guiltocent… I can’t even say it, he’s so guilty. All this is probably because all the money goes to those people in the skyscrapers. I’m not one of those people, obviously. Oh, what else… hmm… I got nothing….. I at least made it out of the court throughout all that narration.

THEO
Hi. I live in a refrigerator box on the street. I have nothing else to add to describe the setting or improve the plot whatsoever. I’m an important character though, because EVERYONE is special. :3
MICK
I come back from the bathroom to watch the repeat of the news like five minutes ago. That’s how much news there is in this world. There apparently is some extinct thing. They haven’t found a name for it yet, but it sort of looks like a really vicious cat. Oh wait, here it is.. “(NEWS) Based on the photo of this animal, scientist Jacob P. James has classified it as ‘Fred’.In other news, scientist Beblob Garfunkle has set out on a journey in space to study this strange anomaly. Also, Mrs. Darlene Norbludgen, your food is ready at Mc. Dumpsters. ”
This News is a bunch of crap-sorry kids. You should’ve thought twice before reading this, especially when this word was included in the first line of the story. Your fault, not mine. I just live here and narrate. I’M NOT A CENSOR! THAT’S NOT MY JOB! GIVE ME A BREAK! Hopefully by now you get the idea that you should stop reading. Anyway…
I decided coffee break is over. I also decided that the stain in my pants was not going away. Good thing I wore black pants to work. I went back to my desk. At least I was alone. How long is coffee break supposed to last? I continue to write a report from my last case. I wrote for about an hour, and people are still on their coffee break. I finished my work, and reached for the stapler. I realized that there are no more staples left in the stapler. I also realized that I’m starting every sentence with “I”. I went to my friends office, whose name is Phil.

PHIL
I pace around my office, looking at all the awards I’ve won. Suddenly, Mick walks in and breaks my daydream. “Hey Mick,” I say “What’s up?” He glares at me. “I have had the worst day today. The elevator smells like a zoo, I spilled latte all over my shirt, and I can barely narrate for more than a paragraph.”  “Ouch.” I comment. “My day has been pretty bad too. You know Henry? The clumsy oaf of a cop? He also spilled some coffee, but it was so hot that he jumped out the window of the 44th floor. It took him five minutes to reach the ground. It was not a pretty sight.” Mick grins “SUCKER!” he screams. “Anyway, the real reason I came here was to get some staples. My office is out of them.” I smile. “Sure.” I hand him a pack. He thanks me then walks out. Yeah, Mick’s a nice guy. You can tell he is from his past few chapters. He’s also kind of an idiot.
The only reason I have this job is because it has action. I’m a good cop, I’ll tell you. No no, let my shelf of trophies tell you. It’s an amazing job, only if you’re good at it. Mick isn’t really having fun, I can tell. The only reason I’m not in the FBI is because I blew my cover. I made one slip up. There was this accident which I… I’ll tell you later.

REECE
In the heat of mid afternoon, I decided to get an iced coffee. In order for me to get that, I need to drive there. But I don’t really have a car. Neither do I have any money on me. My wallet got lost like a month ago, with all my credit cards and my driver’s license. I guess with no car, that would be useless anyway. So my last and only option is to go to the bank. On my bike. Yep. A bike.
There’s another problem. I have to go on the highway. On a bike. I’m about to become a pancake. I take a right turn onto route 34562. After half a second, an eighteen wheeler advertising adult diapers almost ends me, but I swerve out of the way. Some guy behind me honks in my ear. “MOVE IT, BUB!” and I feel my eardrums explode. He glares at me and I glare back at him. “SORRY, I DIDN’T REALIZE THAT THERE ARE JACKASSES LIKE YOU ON THIS ROAD!” 33 car crashes later, I arrive at the bank. Luckily no one was hurt… I think. I park my bike next to a four year old’s tricycle, with those little pink strands hanging off the handle bars. It read on the bars that said “believe in yourself”. I’m not even gonna comment.
Before I walk inside, I glance over at a sketchy white van parked around the side of the building. I just think to myself “That’s not weird or suspicious at all!” So I continue to happily walk inside the bank. All I hear is “Give us the money, and no one gets hurt!” This is probably one of the most typical robberies there is. Two guys, black sock masks. One has a gun, the other has a bag. I know how these usually end. Either, they run away successfully with the money, or they get caught by the police. Fear overcomes me, and I just behind the atm. This was a great idea, I run out of money, and I walk into a bank, even when I saw that van outside, and I duck behind the atm, out of all places. The two robbers run up to the atm, and start kicking it and breaking it open. I watch in horror as the machine shakes behind me, and oh god, they saw me. The shorter of the two saw me and picked me up by my tie. Why do we even wear ties? It’s a weird fashion. Anyway, I strangle to get free from his grip. My feet are now off the floor, flailing everywhere. My adrenaline increases, and my heart beats faster and faster. The robber holds his fist back, ready to take a swing.

MICK
Phil always knows how to cheer me up. I staple the papers and turn them into my boss. I hear my stomach rumble, and realize that it is time for lunch. I ride down the building’s stinkpot of an elevator, then realize that I packed a lunch, and it is in my office. Just as I turn the elevator around, a 480 pound man that smells like a sewage plant steps on, and presses the button for my floor. Dang it. At every other floor, a man of similar weight and odor gets on the elevator. Barely able to see or breath,  but I glance at the weight limit. Quick calculations tell me that we are almost there. We only have to climb a few more floors, and I am safe. But then, to my horror, the ball dings three floors below my office, and the doors slowly open to reveal a woman, easily three times the size of any man on here yet. I watch in complete terror as she grins and says “Room for one more?” Then she steps on, and I know that I need to do something. I grab my gun and shoot through the roof, boosting off a few of the large men and climbing through it. Just as I reach the top of the elevator, the woman climbs on, and the cables creak, then rip. At the last second, I push off the full elevator, as it plummets down 45 floors, and grab the cable, climbing to safety. Three minutes later, I pry open the metal doors of the 48th floor, and climb through, covered with oil and dirt. The building shook ever since the elevator reached bottom, there was an explosion, and parts of the ground floor were sprayed with mechanical and human parts. Again, sorry kids. This book is rough. Should have asked your parents first. Anyway, as I reach my office and shove my sandwich down my throat, I hear reports of the buildings damage. The first floor is almost completely destroyed, and the whole building is swaying. Nobody will be able to exit for a while, since the elevators have been destroyed. Seconds later, a report of a robbery at the bank  ring through the phones. Suddenly, it all becomes clear. All the fat people in the elevator were to force all the policemen to stay in the building and not interfere with the crime. HA! Nobody stops me! I grab my desk and chuck it out the window, then jump after it, landing on it, and plummeting down to earth. This is my time to prove that I can be more than an analyst.

THEO
So here I am sleeping in my refrigerator box. It’s surprisingly refreshing even though it’s not plugged in. My blanket, which is made out of newspapers from the streets, seems more comfortable than usual. It was probably the best moment of my life ever since I got kicked out of my apartment for committing tax fraud. Sleep.
That is until somebody kicks me in the head, which is on the side of the box. My sleep has been aroused by this guy from outside. I guess she’s a delivery women or something.
I hear “Oh, shoot. I must’ve dropped a box.”
She picks my box up, completely unaware that there is a living, breathing person inside. She sets me on something. Another box? I can’t tell. Then I hear some cat like animal meow under me. She thinks I’m I cat. I guess that is convincing, since there are holes in my box to breathe.
The woman says “I can’t lose another one of you, since you’re becoming extinct, Fred.”
Fred? What? What the heck is a Fred? Am I a Fred? Am I losing my mind?? What’s happening to me?
The box starts moving forward, and I feel a wheeling motion under me. I must be on some kind of cart. For once in my life, I finally feel cared for. Maybe if I kept quiet for a while, I would be brought to the pet orphanage. Maybe I could dress up as a cat, and people would care for me and love me. Maybe I’m still losing my mind.
And then the cart stopped. The woman stopped. I didn’t know what was going on. Did I arrive at the pet store? I got a little excited, and curiosity grew. Then I heard truck pull up behind me. This is it. From now on it’s milk and cat nibble for dinner. Say goodbye to life on the street. Sunshine gave way through the breathing holes as the box next to me was being picked up. As if something was lifted off of my shoulders, an angel came down and gave me this soon to be gift of love and caring. I could see it now. My new name will be Mr. Nibbles. Yes. Everything is going to be better from now on.
The cart started moving again. The wheels moved slowly, and I heard the rumble of the truck start to disappear. What’s happening? Where am I going? The wheels rolled faster and faster. This isn’t good. What about my dream? Am I being rolled to the next pet store? No. I realized that no one was steering this thing. This stack of boxes were rolling down a hill! I had to get out of here. I popped my head out of the top of the box. Wind hit my face at probably about 60 miles per hour. I looked back and saw the delivery women was actually a man. I have trouble narrating my whole part inside a box. I can’t hear in this thing! I turn my head the other way, and I can see that I’m about to get a concussion from a pole up ahead. I gotta jump. Jump into the what? The traffic? Then I’d have a concussion and I’d be road kill. There was no escape. I decided if I’m  gonna die, I’m gonna die happy and accept it. I extended my arms out, ready for the hit in the head. I could see the light. That is, until I heard the delivery guy say “What the hell is that?? That’s not a cat! Why the heck is it pointing it’s arms out. This was an uncomfortably judgemental place for me to die. Completely ruined the moment. As I turned my head to yell back, my box hit and bent around the pole. I find the pole hitting me directly up the front middle of myself. My arms still extended, except now forward, along with my legs. I fall to the ground, still completely stunned by what happened.
As soon as I regain my conscience, the box next to me shuffles around. I can tell whatever animal is in there is viciously trying to get out. THRASH! I stared at the one claw that popped out of the top, claws as sharp as a spear. I quickly struggled to get on my feet, and ran inside the nearest building. Yet I’m still looking outside to see the animal. In a cloud of cardboard, the animal tears apart the box into a million pieces, and all the other boxes in the process. It reveals itself as a cat. But not an ordinary cat. Like a tiger cat. Not like a tiger that’s really small, but like a really dangerous, wild cat that… you know what, the moments gone. It ran away.
I’m surprised I didn’t hear everything going on behind me, or else I would’ve ran back out there. I turn around and see some guy getting hanged by the neck in the middle of the room. Two guys in masks surround him like they’re about to hit a pinata. I freeze up. I can’t move. My feet are stapled to the floor. The doors slam open behind me, and some maniac comes in with a machine gun firing everywhere, screaming at the top of his lungs.

MICK
I think I’m a little too confident with this. You know, a simple robbery committed by simple robbers. Easy peasy, I got this. Just walk in there with a machine gun, all willy-nilly. Yeah, I missed every single shot I took. The walls are indented and blown apart. Sheets are flying everywhere, half burned from the speed of the bullets. I stop screaming, stop shooting, stop being a maniac. Well, I might still be a maniac. Anyway, things quiet down to a dead, awkward silence. Everybody is staring at each other. The two robbers drop the guy and inch towards me. The guy lands on the floor, gasping for air. I look at him, and I look at the guy at the side of me with his hands up. The bankers hid behind the desk. What have I done? Everyone is scared. The robbers continue to inch forward, one of their hand’s slowly centimetering towards his coat pocket. I’m sorry, is centimetering a thing? I just didn’t want to use inching again so there wouldn’t be too much repetition. The robber swiftly pulls out a pistol from his jacket, and points it at me. By now, his nose it about one foot from mine.
“You back off, or else he dies.” The robber points his gun at the guy next to me. The guy’s face turns pale. I look back at him, and then at the robber.
“I’ll have you know that there is a pack of highly trained SWAT team officials coming right now.”
“No there isn’t.”
“How about four sniper men on motorcycles.”
“No.”
“How about Ronald McDonald with a cap gun.”
“George, get the money!”
This guy remained pointing a gun at his victim, while the other ran back to the atm. He started working with it, hacking it, withdrawing all the money. The armed criminal looks back at his partner. Meanwhile, I grab the gun from his hand. But it’s still pointed in the wrong direction. My finger reaches for the trigger with is on the other side of the gun, so I’m holding it by the nozzle. The robber turns around and flat out punches me. My whole body twists around from the blast, and I land on the ground.

REECE
This is just great. Some lame police officer is knocked out, the other guy is just standing there. I have no idea where the other cops are. I know it’s not cool, but I’m digging playing dead at this point. I lie there like a doll, waiting for someone to pick me up and play with me. Life ain’t a game, and I’m not moving. The two robbers run out the door, and moments later I hear screeching and see the white van race around the corner. We all stand there like dopes,
completely dumbfounded by what just happened. Except for the officer, who’s laying on the ground. A stream a blood is escaping his nose. But he’s still breathing, so he isn’t dead. Just unconscious. Aren’t you so happy? Yes, you. Who else could I possibly be talking to? I could tell you were so scared, you thought he was dead. But he isn’t. Yay! Yeah right, if only. You’re probably just really confused at this point.
Each second feels longer than it’s supposed to last. The silence is broken when the policeman stands up, wiping blood from his nose. He ran outside yelling at the van driving at now like 30 meters away. He slowed down on the sidewalk, as if he lost a burst of energy. Out of curiosity, I followed him outside. So did another guy behind me. Even though we did get robbed, and all our money is out of our accounts, it is still interesting to see all this.
The officer turns around, taking deep breaths from running for two meters. “Who are you?” He asks, panting.
“Reece.” I put my hand out to shake his. He grabs it, and I feel dampness on my palm. He was sweating from running out the door.
The guy behind me comes up behind me and says, “Hey. I’m Theo!”
“Yeah, yeah, nobody cares. I’m Mick, a very professional police officer.”
“I have a hard time believing that.” I reply as I let go of his hand.
There was a long moment of awkwardness. Just letting the things that just happened  sink in. My eyes light up with an idea.
“So you guys want drinks?”

MICK
And so we had some drinks….

REECE
“FAT AND GREASY LITTLE REECE-Y!” Mick screamed at me as he aimed bullets at me from his pistol. Theo was dead in the doorway, trying to make his escape. I threw myself over the counter, into the bartender, smashing his entire collection of rare wine. He was mad, then shoved his head into a beer keg. I think that makes sense…
“Brace yourselves!”
The drinks did not go as planned. I ripped a crowbar from a passing convict and winged it at Mick’s face. He pulled it out of the indentation in his frontal lobe, and broke it over his knee. Then he jumped, was hit by an airplane, and became a human pancake. And in the end, we’re all still friends.
THE END.

…Just kidding, it’s not. I think I dreamed up the last part. But we really shouldn’t have had those drinks. It was apple juice. I have zero tolerance for apple juice, I get really drunk.

THEO
Dude, there’s no alcohol in apple juice. You don’t need a ‘tolerance’. And in case people cared deeply about me, I’m not dead. That was just something that happened in Reece’s sick mind. And also in the writer’s sicker minds.

REECE
Shut up. Anyway, we had some drinks, had some conversations, shot some civilians. In other words, we bonded.  

MICK
Will you two slap-jacks quit the sap and get on with the plot? And, chief, if you’re reading this, we didn’t shoot anybody, ok? NOBODY WAS SHOT. NOBODY.

REECE
Alright, so let’s just pretend that never happened. We continued our mature conversation with our mature drinks that nothing bad happened afterwards. Theo mentioned something about this cat animal thing that is like extinct, but it isn’t…. I don’t know, and I don’t care. Mick got fired, so, that’s fun. We kept talking for a while about who knows what, and then the news came on. Well, it was always on, we just started to pay attention to it now.
“Breaking news! The 21st century gold rush has come! There have been common findings of gold recently in the town of Terlet, Pennsylvania. If you’re about to lose what’s in your wallet, this is what you’re looking for!”
We all have the same thought. “Guys, I know what we’re going to do.” I say excitedly.
“Yeah!” Theo agrees “Eat pie and binge watch the fourth through ninth seasons of Dora the Explorer!” Mick slaps him in the back of the head.
“No, idiot.” He says “We’re going to get the gold!”

MICK
Before we advance the plot any further, I just have to say this. Thanks a lot, guys. You got me FIRED! My boss called me up when I got home, to tell me that I was close to losing my job, so I  screamed back “EAT ME, PUNK!” Then he fired me. Anyway, we had to get the gold. We rented/stole an RV, then set google maps to Terlet. I had to drive these two bumbling idiots all the way from Utah to Pennsylvania. Reece began singing car songs with a guitar, after Theo poured his soda on the radio because he ‘didn’t like the song playing’. Reece was actually pretty good, but after a few songs Theo wanted a turn, and Reece made the mistake of giving him the guitar. Each time he said TERLET, he strung the guitar with a random chord. “WE’RE ON THE ROAD TO TERLET! WE’RE ON THE ROAD TO TERLET! WE’RE ON THE ROAD TO TERLET! AND I BROKE OUR RADIOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEE!” Theo screamed, out of tune with both his voice and instrument. The windows in the car shattered. Theo decided to jump out one of those windows. I agreed.
“You know what, I’m done.” I elbow one of the windows and it breaks, and I jump out, rolling on the road. The car swerves off the highway, and into some dense weeds. I watch as the car makes 24 rotations into the open field. A few seconds after the car left the highway, Reece attempted to escape. He was halfway out the window, when his window hit the ground, and he was crushed. Throughout the whole ride, Theo continued to sing. While whipping around, the van filled the air with exhaust from the engine. In a more distant state, civilians heard “WE’RE ON THE WEEDS TO TERLET! WE’RE ON THE WEEDS TO TERLET! WE’RE ON THE WEEDS TO TERLET! AND I BROKE THE WINDOOOOOOOWWWWWEEEEEEE!”

REECE
Theo. Never sing again. I almost died because of you. Your voice literally shattered the windows of my elderly neighbors van.
MICK
Wait, this van belonged to your elderly neighbor?! You said you stole it from a criminal.

REECE
I did. Herb, my 72 year old neighbor, was speeding. I jumped from a building, landed on the roof of this van, causing it to dent, then punched him through the driver’s seat window. He yelled at me, so I grabbed him by his hair, and whipped him out the window. Unfortunately, he was wearing a wig, so he only got halfway out the window, and the wig flew into six lanes of oncoming traffic. I wouldn’t let this old geezer beat me, so I stepped on his back, and kicked his sorry rump out the window, into the 6 lanes of oncoming traffic. The first thing that hit him was a motorcycle with a bumper sticker that read “Don’t mess with me or I’ll eat your liver.” And another one that read “Sons of Satan”.

MICK
You monster.

REECE
Hey, I got us a van.

THEO
So how’d you like my song?

MICK
Can we just skip this story to the part where we get to Pennsylvania? We’re wasting a lot of paper space talking back and forth through narration. *cough* *cough* Reece is a monster *cough* *cough*

THEO
So after another 6 hours of my lovely singing, we got to Pennsylvania. We had to go to the hospital real quick to untwist Reece’s twisted foot. I heard the yells from the emergency room as we waited outside for Reece. I don’t think the doctor had proper training… He was as qualified to perform operations as Mick is to be a police officer.

MICK
Watch yourself.

THEO
So this is where the story get’s good. Just to make up for the rest of the story being completely wacko. About a couple seconds later, Reece came limping out of the intensive care unit. Two mistakes noticed: first, I’m pretty sure that the doctor should have given him a cast. Second, I’m pretty sure that was supposed to last more than a couple seconds. I think the doctor should be arrested for malpractice. But, I’m not a cop, and Mick got fired, so it’s not my problem.
“Let’s go Reece.”
We went limping/walking out to our dented van.

MICK
After Reece regained his health, we set out towards the gold rush. We drive up to an open field in front of the mountain full of gold. The truck wobbled, and one piece broke off right after another. We slowed to a stop. We see two lone figures mining on the mountain side. We stick our heads through what remains of the windows, and look around. “Wow guys! We get first dibs!” Reece says happily. He starts to leave, but I look in the rear view mirror, and scream “STAY IN THE CAR!” Seconds later, a stampede thunders past us. It is made of lots of people. Greedy people with greedy cars and greedy bicyclists. Reece and Theo were in danger, and needed my assistance! I grabbed Theo by the collar and swiftly pulled him back into the van. All that training in the police force paid off. I guess all I needed was brains. I tried to grab  Reece next, but he was swept away by the wave of people looking for their gold. I saw his hand sink down in the crowd, like drowning in water. The atmosphere got really dense. The air seemed to get more polluted as big mining trucks passed by. But the worst part was that we were one of them.
“CHEAP SHOT!” I scream at the stampede of people thundering past us “GOING FOR THE CRIPPLE! SHOW SOME RESPECT YOU HEARTLESS SLUGS!”
“We gotta save him!” Theo said. I think he was more relieved by the fact that he didn’t get pulled under, than the fact that Reece did.
“I got a few things in the back!” I raced to the back of our truck. Skies got darker, things got more rough. I heard someone from outside say, “Hey! Let’s shake this truck back and forth!”, and a roar of cheering that followed. That couldn’t be good.

THEO
I saw Mick panic. I didn’t like seeing him like that. I didn’t like any of this. When I heard him say to grab anything, I just grabbed a bunch of pans… I don’t know! I’m under pressure. He suddenly pulled out two shields and machine guns from who knows where! He gave me one of each, and I put the pans in a big bag that I’d carry on my back. Then it was go time.

MICK
We grabbed our weapons and leapt into the thundering crowd. We swung our shields and opened fire with the machine guns, but it didn’t have any effect. Then I had an idea. I jumped on the back of one of the massive mining trucks, and climber to the top as it trampled the people, motorcycles, and cars in the stampede. Theo jumped on another one behind mine, and together, we rode to the front of the crowd. The driver of my truck looked out the window with a shotgun, and began firing at the other mining trucks. Apparently, he didn’t like the competition. Not surprising. What was surprising was that the drivers of the other mining trucks were also carrying shotguns and returned fire, filling the air with bullets. Theo and I ducked under the raging exchange of bullets, and jumped off, onto a smaller car. We looked around, back to back, our machine guns raised, looking for any threats. Unfortunately, the threat was coming from behind us at 80 miles per hour. We threw ourselves out of the way, as a monster truck came out of nowhere and crushed the small car. By then, we were near the front of the crowd, and could see a herd of crazed people carrying Reece’s limp body to the mountain. “A SACRIFICE TO THE MINING GOD!” One man screamed “I HOPE HE WILL BE PLEASED WITH THE BLOOD OF THIS DUDE!” Another roared. Theo and I opened fire at the crowd, and picked them off one by one. Then, swooping down, we grabbed Reece, and ran towards the mountain. On foot, we started sprinting, carrying Reece and shooting at the crowd. An airplane flew overhead, and the entire stampede looked up as the bottom burst open, and a horde of crazed people fell from 5,000 feet, some landing on the mountain, some right next to it. Some poor saps landed in the stampede, and were never heard from again. One guy in a car behind us had a TV, and while sprinting, we looked back to see what was happening. We saw an aerial view of us, two men carrying a body while running at full speed. The camera then zoomed out, and we saw a massive crowd of people, cars, bikes, and motorcycles, kicking up dust, and closing in on Theo and I. Reece then woke up and looked around, realizing the stampede behind us. “WHAT THE HECK?” He screamed. We dropped him on the ground and he started running. Still watching the guys TV, the camera zoomed out more, to reveal something horrifying. On the other side of the mountain, an equally large stampede of people was closing in. Theo saw it too, and as we reached the foot of the mountain, we threw ourselves at the ground and began digging in with our hands and guns. Seconds later, we saw the stampede on our side of the mountain jump as one over the ditch we made, as the other stampede met them in the air. Chaos ensued.

REECE
So there I was, looking out the window, when I was picked up by a horde of crazed lunatics. They screamed about ‘The mining god’ and stuff like that before they knocked me out. The next thing I know, Mick is carrying me at full sprint, as we are chased by a stampede of greedy rednecks. Then I start running too and we dive into a ditch, as two huge stampedes battle to the death above us. They smash into each other like colliding waves, and start using any and all weapons they have against each other. Clubs, guns, bazookas, bricks, C4, diapers, you name it, it was in the brawl. A car exploded near us, and Mick scrambled to pull a TV out of the burning wreck. He turned it on as we dug deeper into the mountain. It had a bird's-eye view of the battle raging above. The camera suddenly panned up to see a fleet of airplanes flying in formation. Doors flew open on each of the planes. And paratroopers jumped out, opening fire into the two warring stampedes. We dig into the mountain further, then the ground underneath me crumbles and I fall down into a cave, and I land on my arm. Ow.
“THEO! MICK! ANYBODY?” I scream. I hear it echo.
“REECE?” It was Theo.
“Yeah?” I yell back. “Is that you Theo!?”. I hear rustling from where I fell.
“REECE?” He screams
“THEO! It’s me!”
“REECE”
“YES, THEO”
“REECE!”
“THEO!
“REEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCEEEEEEEE!!!”
“WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?” It pauses. I don’t hear anything.
“Theo? What happened?”
“REEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCEEEEEE!!”
I hear the sound of somebody being smacked.
“Shut up! Just SHUT UP.”
That was Mick. Somebody gets smacked again, then I hear rocks falling, Mick swears, and seconds later, I hear a loud thump as a large object slams into the ground. I run closer.
“Theo? Is that you?”
“REEEECCCEEEE!”
Now I smack him.
“I’m right here you fool. What did you land on?” I turn on my flashlight, then gasp. I dropped my flashlight and it tumbled down, with the light shining on all the gold around it.

“MICK! THEO!” I scream “GOLD! I FOUND GOLD!” Theo scrambles up, and and Mick runs closer, forgetting the fall, then wipes out and lands in the pit on his knee. He curses the gods. Then he gets up and breaks out his pickaxe, as Theo pulls out a frying pan. They start digging and mining it up, while a battle rages on the surface.

FAT ENRIQUE
I’m lonely. I haven’t narrated for this whole story, and I am freaking out. I needed to say something sooner or later. You must be so confused. I have no relation to the story or the plot whatsoever.

MICK
Theo is a complete idiot. First, right as Reece disappears, he nails me in the head with his stupid frying pan, thinking I’m an enemy. Then, he gets into a shouting match with Reece, when we should be looking for him. Then when the screaming stops, he starts it up again, then I smack him. Of course when I smack him, he is standing over a pit, and he falls down. When I finally know what happened to Reece, Theo starts screaming again. Do you see what I have to work with here, people?

THEO
I heard that.

MICK
No. You don’t get to talk, you blundering oaf. You bumbling idiot. You sack of-

REECE
Alright, that’s enough. The point is, we found the jackpot of gold. We started mining it up, but after a while, we realized a problem. The only way out was the hole we fell through. The walls are made of solid gold, so we can’t just dig our way out. After 20 minutes of searching, Mick finally found an exit. Unfortunately, it was tiny, but we had to get out. Theo insisted on going first, our biggest mistake. He got stuck halfway through, and in order for him to get through, he needed to empty his pockets. The next 15 minutes were spent by Theo having lengthy tearful goodbyes with each piece of junk he was storing in the various pockets. We have no idea how he crammed it in, but there was a surprisingly large amount. Then, he fouled the breathing air. We discovered that last part when Mick walked right through it.
“WHAT THE HECK?” He screamed. “THEO? WHAT DIED IN HERE!”
“Sorry guys.” Theo called back from ahead. “My lunch was an extra large-basin of gas station fiery bean chili. This ain’t over.”
We all groan, and try to fight through it. When I reach the first cloud, I gag and try not to get sick. After five long, grueling, sweaty, disgusting minutes, we are done. Mick and I gasp for air, and breath in the refreshing, clean, atmosphere, letting it fill our lungs. Except we were in a cave, and it is full of dust. We coughed out what we just inhaled.
“Are you kidding me?” Mick screams.
“Guys! We gotta get masks!” I choke.
“I know!” Theo coughs.
“Here!” Mick grunts as he pulls three masks out of his backpack and we put them on. We breathe in the actual fresh air.
“Wait, there aren’t any air tanks!” Theo says.
“Yes, there are filters. It gets out any dust or other...unpleasant things.” Mick says as he glares at Theo. Theo shrugs. We crawl through another series of tunnels, and finally reach the clean air. Unless the writers think of some cruel idea in their sick minds that forces us into another ridiculous problem- oh my god.

MICK
So there I was, just escaped the poison cesspool that Theo turned the caves into, and I was resting, letting Reece narrate for a while, when a massive bear rips through the trees. Wait, no. It’s just Phil. Phil McGregor. Phil Enrique McGregor. Phil William Jackson Andrew Johnson Enrique Alex George Jack John Russell James Hornung Joseph Fedrico Foot Kevin Rick Mick Fick Sick Mike and Ike Mitch Rich Ditch asshol’e Donald Trump McGregor. I left out a few names to keep it short. That’s only about 10% of them.  Wait, what’s he doing here? He’s already sooo rich. Did he come here to gloat? Does he think we are slobs? Is he here to laugh at us? He thinks he is so much better than us. He is so mean. He thinks we are a bunch of poor doofuses. His heart is a sick ball of solid evil. I’ll show him!

PHIL
So I’m a snob. So what? We all gotta make money. I’m not THAT rich. Okay, I lied, I really am. I’m selfish. I’m an asshole. But deal with it. I’m so rich I make Donald Trump cry at night. Chuck Norris wears pajamas with my face on it. Doge looks up memes of me on the internet.
Oh crap. I should’ve known that Mick would have come here too. Just play along...
“Hey Mick!” I said. I opened my arms up in a welcoming state. I’m a good friend.

MICK
“SO YOU THINK YOU’RE BETTER THAN ME HUH? I’LL SHOW YOU WHO’S BETTER! I LIVED THROUGH THEO’S BODY ODOR! I WAS STUCK IN CVS AND FORCE FED A 71 YEAR OLD LADY 15 POUNDS OF LAXATIVES TO GET AHEAD OF HER IN LINE! I WATCHED AS SHE IMPLODED AS SHE RAN FOR THE LAVATORY! I HAVE OUT-PEED DOGS TO CLAIM MORE TERRITORY! I HAVE GONE TO BINGO NIGHT AT THE SENIOR CENTER AND GOTTEN SO COMPETITIVE THAT I USE THE SENIORS TO BREAK GLASS! I WENT TO THE PRISON AND DROPPED A BOX OF SHIVS AND SHANKS IN THE MIDDLE OF A COURTYARD, THEN WATCHED THEM FIGHT TO THE DEATH. WHEN I DID THAT, I WAS A POLICE OFFICER.I WAS IN STOP AND SHOP ONCE, PUNK, IN THE WEIGHT LOSS AISLE, AND I SCREAMED ‘DOUGHNUTS, FREE DOUGHNUTS!’ IN FOUR SECONDS, I WAS SURROUNDED. THE FIRST PERSON TO ATTACK ME, ROUGHLY THE SIZE OF A BLUE WHALE, CAME AT ME FROM BEHIND. I DELIVERED HER A KICK THAT COULD SHATTER SOLID ROCK DIRECTLY INTO HER SOLAR PLEXUS. I HEARD BOTH OF HER LUNGS POP. THEN I TOOK A CAN OF OF PRUNES AND WINGED IT AT HER. A MAN JUMPED OVER A FALLEN DISPLAY CASE OF BREAD, FUELING HIS JUMP WITH A FIERY BURST OF DIARRHEA. I SIDE STEPPED AT THE LAST SECOND, CAUSING HIM TO LAND ON HIS CROTCH ON THE HARD LINOLEUM FLOOR! THEN I TOOK A TAP USED TO PULL SYRUP FROM A TREE, AND SLAMMED IT INTO HIS STOMACH. SECONDS LATER, HYDROCHLORIC ACID SPRAYED OUT IN A FOUNTAIN OF CORROSIVE ENZYMES. I GRABBED A NEARBY CRIPPLE, AND SHOVED HIM INTO A FREEZER NEXT TO A FROZEN PIZZA. THEN I SAW AN OLD LADY WITH A WALKER AND TANK OF OXYGEN. 50 POINTS! I SCREAMED AS I CHARGED AT HER WITH FULL FORCE. I GRABBED MY SHOPPING CART AND SHOVED HER INSIDE IT, PUSHING IT DOWN INTO THE SOUP AISLE. SHE SCREAMED AS ALL KINDS OF SOUP CANS RAINED DOWN ON HER. THEN I RAN OUTSIDE, AND BROUGHT IN A TANK. I SMASHED THE WHOLE FRONT OF THE STORE OPEN. I DID DONUTS WITH THE TANK, MEANWHILE SHOOTING EVERYTHING I COULD! WHILE I HAD THE CHANCE, I STOLE ALL THE MONEY FROM THE CASH REGISTERS I SMASHED!!! I LAUGHED AS HARD AS I COULD AND RAN OUTSIDE WITH TWO BAGS!! I THEN DONATED TO CHARITY!!! IT WAS A VERY NICE DAY THAT DAY!!! BRING IT ON!”
What I said didn’t really make sense. I’m not good with arguing with people. They usually just get confused by the time I’m done arguing my point.
Phil put his arms down. It worked.
“Mick, who are your friends?”
Theo came up behind me. “No one said we were friends.”
“Like you have a choice?”... I don’t know who said that.
I walked down to Phil. Anger overcame me, and I punched him in the face. It felt pretty good.
“YOU LITTLE LIAR! YOU WERE MY FRIEND!”
Phil got back up from the blow, rubbing his cheek.
“YOU KILLED MY PARENTS!!! IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!”
“What?”
(I actually just added that for dramatic effect.)

“What is wrong with you?” Phil yelled, “Why are you beating me up?”
I swung my steel-toed combat boot into his face, sending him flying.
“That’s why!” I yell. I go for another kick, but Phil grabs my leg and whips it around, sending me flying into a random table where two scruffy guys play poker. Suddenly, a piano starts playing and I am in a old western saloon brawl. I don’t hold back, grabbing furniture, and breaking it over people’s heads, punching and kicking like there’s no tomorrow. A few minutes later, I am panting in a damaged Saloon, with broken people and furniture lying all around me. Then abruptly, it is all gone. I blink and look around, but the Saloon is gone, and Theo, Phil, and Reece, lay on the ground, all crumpled up with broken chunks of our van, lawn furniture, and Phil’s lamborghini. Pieces of rock lay all over the place. The only thing left intact is the piano, with some random old guy slumped over it, covered in bruises and chunks of wood. Oops. I hallucinated. Hours later, Phil was knocked out on the ground.
That’s when I said, “See you in hell, loser- no no, that’s no good… um, maybe ‘I’ll be back’, no that’s Exterminator. Uhhh, of all the times to blank out on puns. Dang it! It needs to be witty, yet sassy. WHY CAN’T I DO THIS! WHY? WHY MEEEEEEEEEE?
“Stay in school, kids!”

The end...?