A Dark Room | Teen Ink

A Dark Room

By Asterion GOLD, Toronto, Ontario
Asterion GOLD, Toronto, Ontario

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Summary:

Gabriel. That’s my name. At least I think so. It’s all I remember and it’s all I was given. By someone or something I don’t know and never will. I woke up in the darkness, inside an empty black space. The Dark Room. I have no memory of before, but also no thoughts of panic or dismay as well. I feel like a new person inside a old, beaten, weathered, body. In reality though I was young. I was about in my mid-twenties but I didn’t know how I knew that. It seemed like my brain knew these parts of my memory and was either waiting for me to ask about them or not denying them to me all at once. I could see ink-black tentacles of shadowy wisps surround and coat me, molesting my naked, shivering body with numbing wisps that was curled against the cold, smooth floor. When I finally gathered the strength to stand up to face what there in the dark room everything had disappeared. There was no tentacle-like wisps of black smoke, I stood clothed in furs, and finally the dark room ceased to exist. I look up at my surroundings and find I was surrounded by trees… a forest. The night sky shone with diamond-like stars. As I began to explore I quickly felt the layers of brutally frozen air crack my lips with each dry breath I took. I was shocked into huddling and shivering in the spotlight of of moon. I felt exposed and scared out of my body. Then a word implanted and deep-rooted into my old memory surfaced and whispered softly, almost in grotesque pleasure: “survive”…

Asterion

A Dark Room