It's just a dream; it can't be true | Teen Ink

It's just a dream; it can't be true

By HarleyMMelton, Stockton, California
HarleyMMelton, Stockton, California

“It’s Just A Dream, It Can’t Be True”

Hello my name is Jennifer but everyone calls me Jenny. I have brunette hair and hazel eyes with a birthmark on my stomach; some believe it means a greedy and an egocentric individual. I also have a scar on my right arm: this scar is the whole reason why this story is happening…

It was an early saturday morning; beautiful as could be. I had a competition that day not knowing what was to come…

“Honey, we are going to be late if you don’t hurry up” said Lucy her mom.

“I am almost done but don’t forget to make sure dad is ready; you know how he is when it comes to getting ready on time” I said.

While mom walks over to see, he starts yelling, ““I’m Up,I’m Up, I’m Up!”

About 20 minutes later we get into the car and drive to the competition. I ended up winning first place; mom and dad were very proud of me.

“Honey, you did great out there,” said mom “How do you feel about it?”

“I was so excited and nervous at the same time, but I’m glad I got to go out there a dance/cheer for everyone that showed up” I said.

“When is your next competition because I will take time off of work if you want me to go since mom can’t make it because she is going to Texas for the next two weeks”  said dad.

“You can but you don’t have to because I can drive myself” I said.

When a car hits our car head on we ended up falling and rolling. I ended up cutting my right arm open when he his us...At that point in time I had no clue what was going on. All I knew was we were all hurt bad.

4 years later…….

I ended up going into a coma. It was two days before my 21 birthday.

“Hello, I’m Dr. Dave,” said the doctor “I am sad to let you know that your parents didn’t make it”

“What do you mean? How?” I said.

“Your mom went into surgery and didn’t make it out; your dad passed away while the paramedics were on there way” said the doctor “I’m sorry for your loss.”

“How long has it been?” I asked

“It has been almost 4 years; you’ve been in a coma for that long” said the doctor.

Sometimes I wish I didn’t wake up to just find out that I lost my parents to the car accident. I think the worst part was that they never found the guy who killed them. After finding that out I had to figure it out; I was going crazy not knowing. I decided to create a plan to find him but then I realized I had no clues or information about this person. It took me awhile to find out where they were keeping the case file, so I broke into the FBI Headquarters to find the information about the guy. I was searching for over an hour not knowing the case file number. After awhile I got caught by an officer; he tried to arrest me and my first reaction was to defend myself. Not meaning to hurt anyone I shot him in the throat with his own gun. I cried and I was shaking for over twenty minutes in the bathroom but people were after me. The only good thing is that the cameras were off, so they didn’t know who it was. I grabbed the case file and left…

When i jumped into my car I started going through the case file to find any information about the guy; at first there wasn’t anything but in the middle of the papers I found a paper with his name on it. His name was Luis and a couple papers later I found his address. I had so much anger built up inside I just really wanted to do something more than hurt him; killing him is the only thing that made sense. A life for a life but he took two. Everytime I look at my right arm I just got more fearious because it reminded me of that day. He ended up living in Texas, he was just here on a business trip for 2 weeks. I decided to take a road trip to Texas but I have to take the bus…

2 days later…..

I ended up getting to Texas just find and I found him.

“Hey, is your name Luis?” I asked

“Yea, may I ask who is asking?” said Luis

“Yea, my name is Jennifer” I said

“Do I know you from somewhere?” asked Luis

“Yea, four years ago you were in california; you got into a car accident and hit a car head on...that was my parents car..” I said

“Oh, are you sure you got the right person?” said Luis “because my twin brother was in California a couple years ago on a business trip..”

“What’s your brothers name and where is he?” I asked

“ Mark lives with me but he is out of town right now; I’ll tell him to come home if you want to talk to him?” said Luis

“That would be greatly appreciated.” I said

As Luis called his twin brother Mark he had no idea why I was really here. Luis seemed very nice but if he got in the way I would have to hurt him. I couldn’t wait anymore; all the anger was building up and I just wanted to explode. A couple minutes later he starts to talk yo me again about Mark.

“Hey, Mark is going to meet us at the house,” said Luis “would you like a ride?”

“Yea, that would be great” I said

As we head to his house I ask him if me and Mark could be alone. Then he started asking all these questions that I didn’t want to answer, but I answered most of them.

We got the the house a I saw Mark and his arms were scared up like mine but his was worst and as soon as he saw me; he looked confused but also frightened.

“Luis get in the house please” yelled Mark

“Why do you sound so worried?” asked Luis “I thought you knew who this person was?”

“Yea, that is the problem she is the girl from the car accident.” said Mark

As Luis walked into the house me and Mark had a little conversation.

“What are you doing here?” asked Mark “I thought you passed away in the car accident”

“You thought wrong then and if you know who I am then why didn’t you help my parents out?” I asked

“ I thought you all were dead so I left and acted like nothing happened.” said Mark “Why are you here after so long?”

“I went into a coma for almost 4 years just to wake up and find out my parents were gone and they had not found the person that was responsible for this.” I said

“I had no idea” he said

As I pull out the gun from the FBI Headquarters because I decided to take it with for my protection and for this moment. It was going into slow motion when I shot off the gun; I heard him say something that made me regret pulling the trigger as it was inches from his face I blacked out.

I woke up….the first person I saw was the doctor; I didn’t know who the doctor was.

“Hello, I am Dr. Lucy” she said “ you must be confused right now”

“Yea just a little bit” I said “Where am I?”

“You were in a coma for over 6 months and you are in Dameron Hospital.” She said “In your case I am surprised to see you up so early; it usually takes patients over a year to wake up.”

“Where is the guy?” I said

“What guy?” asked the Doctor

“The guy in the other car” I said “Please tell me he is alright”

“How did you know it was a guy driving that car?” she asked

“The whole time I was in a coma I had a dream about a guy and how he hurt my parents really bad” I said

“That’s weird, most people don’t remember things that they thought about while they were in a coma, but he is fine he only broke his arm” the Doctor said

I was confused at first then I realized it was all a dream. I screamed to call out for my mom and dad because that was my first reaction. I was hoping that part was a dream. Moments later I saw my mom and dad running down the hall into the room. I started to cry; they were tears of joy though. I hugged them as tight as I possibly could till it started to hurt me.

“Mom and Dad you don’t know how happy I am to see you” I said

“Same with us, we thought we were going to lose you” Mom said

“What happened while you were in a coma; the doctor told us you had a dream” Dad said

As I went on and explained what happened to me. A guy walks into the room with his arm broken and he looked exactly like Mark and Luis but he told me his name was Lark. He was so sweet and kind to me that I was glad it was a dream.