Before The Lie | Teen Ink

Before The Lie

January 19, 2019
By WyloTree BRONZE, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
More by this author
WyloTree BRONZE, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dreaming is not Living, Failing is not Quitting, Fame is not success, and Money is not Wealth.
- WyloTree


Author's note:

It's an action packed book for any reader... or writer.

The rain was coming down harder than before. The cobbled street was slick with muddy slush and the sky grew dark with black clouds. The rain slid down Alexander Wakefields black overcoat as he walked purposefully down the street. The crowds had since dispersed, but Alexander was on a vengeful mission. A mission to destroy Charles Stonecrest.

    Alexander stormed around the street corner, “The bloody fool! He’s ruined it all!” He muttered under his breath.

Under normal circumstances, Alexander would have loved to be walking about Cambridge with an umbrella on the rainy day, but then again, these weren't normal circumstances.  As he crossed the street and took a right, Charles Stonecrest mansion came into view.

The two wealthy businessmen had been friends since they were children, but none of that came into play at this point.

Banging on the doors, Alexander yelled, “Open the door Stonecrest! You deserve what’s coming to you! You’ve ruined us both! Open the door or I’ll open it for you!”

A window from the second floor was flung open with such force, it nearly shattered.

Charles Stonecrest, revolver in hand, leaned out the window in one of his finest suits.

“Get off my property, Wakefield! Or I’ll shoot you!” He snarled downward.

Alexander pointed up at him, “Admit it! You know what’s coming! Were both ruined! Ruined! You’ve taken everything! We’ll be public disgraces!”

Charles pointed the gun out the window. The screaming of horses and hooves could be heard as the police galloped a couple blocks away.

Charles gasped, “See what you’ve done! They’ll take us both! Our families will be left nothing! Our reputations tarnished!”

Alexander ripped his own gun from where it was hiding in his pocket and pointed it up at Charles.

“If I go! Your going with me!” He snapped defiantly.

    Charles let a sneer take over his face, “Not if I shoot you first!”

    “DROP IT!”

Charles looked up in surprise, Alexander whipped around. It was the mounted police.

“Drop the guns!” One of them yelled.

The two of them shared a glance before turning their guns on the other, again.
    “You make one move and I shoot him!” Charles spat out.

“I won’t hesitate to shoot either!” Alexander added. The officers hesitated, that was what they had been waiting for. Alexander bolted around the side of the house to the stables. He could only imagine Charles was taking the secret tunnel that led into the tack room of the barn. Running to the first stall he could, Alexander quickly pocketed his revolver, bridled the horse, and mounted.

“Off my horse!” Charles demanded, entering the isle way.  

“You’ll have to catch me first!”

With a whoop, Alexander rammed his heels into the horses side and took off at a wild gallop through the pounding rain. Charles raced into another stall and mounted another stallion. He took off after Alexander right as the police made it to the barn.

“Charles Stonecrest! Dismount that horse!”

Ignoring them, Charles galloped after Alexander.

To most people, it would seem like some wild parade. The well known banker galloping off through Cambridge, followed close behind by the famed lawyer, Charles Stonecrest, and the mounted police chasing them both.

People yelled and jumped out of the way as the horses came galloping through the town.

“Watch out!” Was the common cry in the streets.

“Wakefield!” Stonecrest snarled.

“Your fault!” Wakefield yelled back. “I’d rather die than be taken by the police!”

“Stop your horses! Dismount immediately!” The police chief yelled from behind them.

Before either of them knew it, they were out of Cambridge and racing through a field.

The tall, muddy grass was torn up and flung from the animals hooves.

Suddenly, a fallen tree came up over a rise. Alexander, blinded by the rain, couldn’t slow down in time. With a sickening crack, the stallion tripped over the tree and fell into the mud, sliding rapidly down the hill, Alexander clinging to the horses back.  

“ALEXANDER!” Charles yelled.

Momentarily forgetting he was galloping to the same doom, Charles leaned forward. The horse, fighting to slow, but failing, flipped over the tree after the other. Stonecrest flew from  his steed and rolled down the muddy mound of a hill. He ended up next to Wakefield, who still had Stonecrests betrayal fresh in his mind.

“You… betrayed me.” He wheezed out. “Got drunk and told Williams about our plan, did you?”

“Me?!” Stonecrest spat. “My mind is not easily fooled, you were talking to Williams at the bar! Set me up so you could take my office! My fame! And my money!”

By this point, the police were at the top of the hill looking down at the mess before them. Two half-dead horses and two of the most famous men on this half of the country, lying in the mud.

“A shame really,” One of the men said. “Two of the most respected men, thrown at each other’s throats. And for what? More money and fame?”

Another shrugged, “I heard they believed Johnathan Williams stole something that once belonged to their great grandfathers. I guess they planned to kidnap ‘im and force him to tell them where it was. Planned to kill him too.”

“That’s a shame,” The chief added. “Well, let’s go on down and get them. They deserve a burial either way.”  

They three men dismounted and began the descent of the hill.

They weren’t even halfway down the hill when the two bodies suddenly flung themselves at each other.

“They’re alive! How-” He was cut off by the chief.

“Grab ‘em! Before they kill each other!”

The three men ran down the muddy hillside, desperate to catch the two men.

“You fool! We were to get Williams and get the journals! Not tell him what we were planning!” Wakefield spat in Stonecrest face.

“It was never me! You told him what we were planning!” Stonecrest yelled. They grabbed for the others hair, coats, and skin. Scratching and brawling, throwing punches and yelling. Their fight didn’t last long, for the officers had grabbed them and were pulling them apart. As soon as they were both restrained, the chief began to speak:

“Alexander Wakefield and Charles Stonecrest, you are both under arrest for assault, conspiracy to commit murder, and conspiracy to theft. Lets go!”

The two famous men were hauled away to prison. They stood trial two weeks later with Johnathan Williams testifying against them. Alexander Wakefield was sentenced to life in prison for assaulting Stonecrest and conspiring to kidnap Williams. Charles Stonecrest, on the other hand, was fined twelve thousand dollars. Which, as the decades went on, was the equivalent of two-hundred-twenty-one-thousand-four-hundred-and-forty-seven-dollars. The man was left with next to nothing, but rumors went that he had a stash hidden away, and that he would one day raise himself up from the ashes. Wakefield lived in prison for another ten years before a large prison riot broke out. Wakefield, along with some of the other inmates, were never found.

As for the mounted officers, they never knew what the men had spoken of on that hill, or why the crimes were committed in the first place. Both families involved moved to different parts of the country, never heard from again, but the odd events and grudges that formed between the two, were never forgotten. In fact, they were remembered.

“Can you believe next month begins our senior year?”

Adelaide Wakefield looked up from the jacket she was looking at.

“Emily, you’ve asked that at least seven times already,” Adelaide smiled.

“But, yes, I can believe it’ll be our senior year. This is what I’ve been waiting for! As soon as I graduate I can travel the world! Go get a degree and do something purposeful in my life!”

Emily Collins rolled her eyes, “Oh, come on! I can’t wait to get my party on!” She laughed and shook her hips.

“You are aware that college has more to it than parties, right?” Adelaide asked, grabbing the jacket off the stores rack.

Emily picked up another summer dress, “Your families, like, rich, right? I think you can afford a couple parties,” Emily replied. Adelaide shook her head, “My family history is… different. Besides, my family has lived here forever, and if we were rich, you would know.” Adelaide lied fluently.

Adelaide Wakefield’s family history was more than different, it was complicated. She was young when her father first explained why they were so different from other families, she held just as much of a grudge against the Stonecrests as her great, great, great, great grandfather Alexander Wakefield had. As Adelaide understood, after the whole incident in Cambridge, Massachusetts, her family had moved to Monroe, Louisiana, where they still resided four generations later. It was unknown what had become of the Stonecrest’s, but her father had often swore of he ever found one he would make sure they got what was coming to them. Afterall, they did ruin the family name. Adelaide often wondered who had taken Wakefield Bank and Stonecrest Law Offices, not one of the rightful owners that was for sure.

Some part of her had always wondered if the whole scandal was one big misunderstanding, that someone had set them both up. Her ancestors body had never been found, Adelaide's father knew that after the prison riot Charles Stonecrest had gone missing, never to be seen again. He believed that Stonecrest had gone after Alexander to settle an old score, or maybe Alexander found Stonecrest.

“Rayne? Rayne!”

Adelaide broke out of her trance and looked up.

“What?” She asked.

“You were staring off again, Adelaide.” Emily laughed, walking over to the cash register. Adelaide followed and said, “You know I prefer Rayne,”

“Oh, trust me, I know!” Emily smirked, paying the woman behind the register.


Within the next hour both girls were in Emily's car driving back to Adelaide's house.

“I say today was a success!” Emily announced. “We got new clothes and spent a beautiful August day in town!”

Adelaide was about to reply when her phone rang, answering she said, “Rayne speaking,”

No one answered, the other person could be heard breathing faintly on the other side before hanging up.

“Who was it?” Emily asked, shooting a glance at her friend. Adelaide shrugged, “I have no idea. Stayed on line for couple seconds before hanging up.”

Emily shrugged, “Probably some kid punching random numbers into their mothers phone.”  

As Emily pulled up to her friends house, she asked, “See you in two days, right? Movie night!”

Adelaide nodded as she grabbed her bags from the backseat, “Yep! Thanks for the ride!”

She jogged up the walk and through her front door. Her mother was sitting in the kitchen, sipping a cup of coffee.

“Rayne! How was the mall?” She inquired, setting the mug down.

“Fine. Where’s dad?” She replied, setting the bags by the stairs.

“His study. Still searching for “you know who”.” She dropped her voice down to a whisper.

Adelaide rolled her eyes, “You don’t need to whisper about it. He’s going to yell about them either way.”

Before her mother could reply, Adelaide's father called out, “Adelaide? Come help me! I’m about to have a break through!”

Her mother shook her head, “Why do you entertain his madness? He’s obsessing over something that happened a hundred years ago!”

She shook her head, “You wouldn’t understand. The Wakefield blood runs in my veins, dad’s battle is about to become mine.”

Adelaide ignored the odd look her mother gave her and followed her father’s voice into his study.

His large oak desk sat in the center of the large room. It was backed by floor to ceiling bookshelves. Maps of the world covered the walls, some had pins on them and some had her father’s scrawl over them. The two laptops were set up so Sean Wakefield could multitask.

“How was… the mall?” He asked, trying not sound as sarcastic as he looked.

“Meh, it was fine. Emily talked my ear off the whole time, but other than that I got some clothes.” She replied.

“Well,” Sean spun in his chair, holding a book in his hand. “You can help me! I’m searching through America first, then we’ll go through Canada…” He trailed off as he took another couple books from his shelves.

Adelaide sat down behind a small table next to the closed window curtains.

“What exactly are we looking for?” She asked.

Sean laughed, “My dear, I would hope you would have realised by this point we are looking for the Stonecrests.” He replied, dropping a small stack of books in front of her.

“Come on, dad. You know what I mean.” Adelaide said, picking up the first book.

“While your great, great, great, great grandfather Alexander was rotting away in prison, Charles Stonecrest was slinking away with his family, desperate to regain his fortune. It’s possible either him or one of his relatives showed up at another point in history. These are modern history encyclopedias. Look up dates, names, or events that you think could have to do with them.” He explained, going back to his desk.

“Basically, I have to read through these and find a Stonecrest. What happens if we find a lead?” She asked. Her father glanced up from his books.

“I’ll follow the lead, might even let you come.” He replied.

“And if you find them?”

“I’ll make them pay for ruining the family name, at least great, great, great, great grandmother Florence kept the money.”

“How will you make them pay for something that happened over a hundred years ago?”
    “I’ll ask for any information they had on old man Alexander, and maybe some relics… if they have any.”

“Did you ever think that maybe their looking for us?”
    “You ask a lot of questions for someone who’s supposed to be working.” Was his final reply.

“Fine… one more question? Please…”

Adelaide’s father sighed, set his book down and leaned back in his chair.

“Fine. Last one.”

“Do we have Alexanders will? I mean, were his only living relatives. That bank down in Cambridge probably would belong to us, right? So why don’t we own it?” Adelaide inquired, sitting up straighter, proud of her smart question.

“Well,” Her father looked puzzled for a moment. “I guess I never really thought about it. I would guess that whoever was the manager at the time kept it running and that maybe someone bought it. Technically, the will was never read because he wasn’t technically dead.”

“Ok, so where is it now?”

“I would think it would still be in his lawyers office… which would have been Charles Stonecrest!” Her father swore, running a hand through his hair.

“What I would give for that will… imagine the information it could hold! Whoever he left property too, money, heirlooms, would have been people he trusted, and they might have had clues as to his whereabouts after the riot! It could even lead us to the Stonecrests!” He added excitedly.

“Dad, we live in Louisiana, remember? Cambridge is…” Typing quickly into Google, she finished, “Twenty three hours and forty five minutes away! And that’s without stopping.”

“What’s all this about a will and Cambridge? Your not going on another trip are you?” Claire Wakefield asked her husband, entering the room.

“Adelaide has had a wondrous idea! Maybe I should go and find out for myself!” He exclaimed.

“Sean!” Claire snapped. “You have a job here! Your the manager of one of the largest banks in Monroe! You can’t just go on random trips following useless leads on a family that might not even exist anymore!”

Sean laughed, “Oh, Claire, they would never do anything as boring as die!”

“And how do you know? You don’t even know who your looking for!” She replied indignantly.  
    “I know they’re out there because they know were out here! As long as they have reason to think the Wakefields are still alive, they have a reason to stay alive and find us. That much I believe.” Sean replied, opening his book once more.

“It’s late, and I have much to think about. Adelaide, why don’t you go to sleep. If you want you can do some reading tomorrow.”

Adelaide stood back up, stacked the books once more, and, nodding to her father, left the room.

Adelaide opened her bedroom curtains, letting the early morning sunlight filter into the room. She sighed, knowing that her father was going to want her help and that Emily wanted to have a girls night the following night.

“Rayne! I’m going down the store to pick up a few things!” Claire called up the stairs. “Take care of your father! Don’t let him do anything stupid!”
    Adelaide winced as she heard her father yell from his study, “I’m not deaf!”

“Oh, hush! I’m talking to Rayne!” Her mother yelled back affectionately.

Adelaide heard her fathers deep chuckle as she rolled her eyes, going back to her morning routine.

She cleaned her room and bath, organized her desk, and made sure everything was in order before getting ready for the day.

    Suddenly, her phone rang, and Bob Seger’s Old Time Rock n’ Roll blared out. That meant that the caller had to be her father. Confused, as he was right down stairs, she picked up the phone.

    “Dad, you do know that I’m up the stairs, right?” She asked, answering the phone.

    "Your still up there? Oh, I was calling to let you know that I left the house and am driving down the road.” He replied simply.

    “What!” Adelaide yelled, throwing her bedroom door open. “I leave you alone for twenty minutes and you run away!? Where on earth are you going! You can’t just leave! It doesn’t work like that!”

    “What doesn’t work?” He asked.

    Adelaide sighed, “You promised that you wouldn’t run away without me! So not fair!”

    “Oops. Anyway, there’s a book that I need. It’s out of town, I should be back in a couple hours. Tell your mom I went to get… gourmet ice cream?”

    “Yeah,” She said sarcastically. “She’s so going to believe that one.”

    “Whatever, just stay in the house and do something productive.”

    Without another word, her father hung up. Sighing, Adelaide went down the stairs and into the kitchen. After making some well- deserved stress relieving pancakes, she went into the livingroom to find a good book to read.

    The next two hours flew by faster than Adelaide would recall, and before she knew it, she was explaining to her mother the whereabouts of her father.

    “I told you to watch him! How could you let him run off!” Claire yelled.

    “He’s not some pet, mom! He can take care of himself. He said he needed a book and that he would back in a couple of hours. No harm done, just let him be him. If he wants to drive a couple hours for book, then let him. It’s not like your paying for the gas.” Adelaide replied hotly.

    “Your not the parent! He never should have left without calling me! Or at least telling you!” Claire shot back.

    Adelaide shook her head, “He doesn’t have to call you everytime he goes out. And for the record, he did tell me he was going, just after his initial departure!”

    Claire looked like she had more to say, but swallowed her words.

    “I’m going to make lunch.” She bit out, walking away from her daughter.

    Just as Adelaide had it to the top stair, her phone rang once more. Not caring to look at the caller I.D, she answered, “Rayne.”

    Just like last nights caller, no one spoke, only slight breathing could be heard. Was that sound of a car motor?

    “Seriously? I do have better things to do than listen to you breath on the other end, if you happen to be an idiot I know, please, don’t call again.” Adelaide said sarcastically before hanging up.

    Frustrated, Adelaide shut her door and collapsed on her bed, not even Netflix could help calm her nerves this time.

    As the minutes ticked by, Adelaide grew bored. Why was lunch taking so long? Her father had been gone for three hours, how long was he planning to be away?

    Suddenly, there was a sharp knock on the front door.

    “Rayne! Can you get that!” Her mother called from downstairs.

    “I’m going!” She replied, jumping up off her bed.

    Rayne jogged down the stairs and to the front door.

    “Hello, can I help you?” She asked, opening the door.

    Two young men were standing on the step. They were dressed in suits and had fresh haircuts. One was taller than the other, he was older, but not by much. The younger one seemed more at ease, less uptight than the other. They both had handsome faces.

    “Are you Adelaide Wakefield?” The younger asked. Adelaide noticed the older one wince at her name. Uneasy, she answered, “Yes, can I help you?”

    The two shared a look, before the younger could continue, the elder interrupted.

    “This is a bad idea. She’s the enemy. It’s her family's fault! Why talk when we can fight? I’ve been training my whole life for this moment!” He snarled, taking a step forward.

    “Damien! Calm yourself! My terms, remember?” The younger man gripped Damiens arm so tight both his hand and Damiens arm turned white.

    Bristling with anger, Adelaide spat, “Who are you? What do you want?”

    “I think you already know who we are. But believe me, my brother and I are not here to fight. We only want to talk. I swear.” The younger replied.

    “Your Stonecrests, what should stop me from getting a gun and shooting you?” Adelaide asked, leaning on the door frame.

    “Your right, we are Stonecrests. One of the three left remaining that share the blood of Charles Stonecrest himself. And you are one of two remaining that share the blood of Alexander Wakefield. Our bloodlines are… special. Our father is missing. We need your help because we believe that you believe Alexander didn’t kidnap Charles all those years ago, which means you wouldn’t take our father. I think whoever did take him, is after your father too, we must speak with him. Please.”

    Adelaide was silent, thinking. Trying not to show the worry that was engulfing her, she replied, “I think there might be a problem with you speaking to him. He’s searching for you too, he left a couple of hours ago to find a book. We haven’t heard from him since.”

    Damien shook his head, “I told you this was a waste of time! Her father is gone too! Their both probably dead!”

    Before anyone could reply, Adelaide’s mother came to the door.

    “Hello! I’m Adelaide’s mother! Are you friends of hers?” She asked.

    Adelaide stood back up, and made a slight nod with her head as the younger man shot her a searching look.

    He smiled at Claire and replied, “Yes! I’m Cohen. That’s my older brother Damien. We go to school together.”

    Claire’s smile brightened, “Well, if your not busy, were about to have lunch. You can certainly join us.”

    Cohen glanced at Adelaide and saw her nod her head silently.

    “That would be wonderful!” He said.

    It was not long after that that Cohen, Damien, and Adelaide were sitting side by side at the kitchen counter as Claire served them sandwiches and soup.

    “So, I don’t think I’ve seen you boys around Monroe. I guess it is kind of a large area…” Claire trailed off, leaning on the counter.

    “Were new.” Damien replied through gritted teeth. He was obviously living his worst nightmare.

    Claire nodded slowly, “Okay, do you have last names? Maybe I can get in contact with your parents, welcome them to the school district and all.”

    Before Cohen could say anything, Damien opened his mouth and replied.

    “Enough of the crap! Were Stonecrests! Who else would we be!”

    Claire opened and closed her mouth, shocked by the outburst.

    “Stonecrests? By golly! You exist! My husband, Sean, he’s been looking for you. He seems to think you evil or something. Your not evil, right? This is so weird!”

    “Mom!” Adelaide cut off Claire’s rant.

    “They’re still alive, so their obviously not here for revenge, at least he isn’t.” She said, nodding to Cohen.

    “I’m sorry if he comes off as rude and overbearing. Our father raised us to hate anyone with the surname of Wakefield. The only difference is that I grew up the optimist and he grew up the condescending snob.” Cohen’s face turned serious.

    “Ma’am, our father was kidnapped and our mother killed, we believe that Adelaide’s father has been kidnapped, or is about to be. We came to ask him if he would help us. We can’t find our father unless we have someone who knows about the Alexander Wakefield.”

    Adelaide felt sorry for them, their mom was killed and their dad kidnaped. Then again, she was raised to view them as the enemy. It was hard for her to believe that they were sitting at her kitchen table, alive.

    “Oh gosh! That’s terrible! Have you talked to the police?” Claire asked, a concerned look on her face. Damien let out a low chuckle, “Your not a real Wakefield are you?” He asked as Adelaide facepalmed.

    “Excuse me?” Claire asked, a hurt look in her eyes.

“Mom, they’re Stonecrests, they avoid the law at all costs. Like dad I. If you actually believed and helped him instead of calling him crazy maybe you would understand.” Adelaide replied.

    Claire, feeling attacked, sat down.

    “This is insane,” She said. “Two kids can’t just go through all that and be fine! I’m calling the police and they can handle all this.”

    Cohen leaned forward, “Ma’am,” He said. “Your husband hasn’t called in hours, correct?”

    Claire nodded slowly.
    “He was probably kidnaped by the same people that took our father. And before you ask, we don;t know who. We think this all has to do with the feud between the Stonecrest and the Wakefields. You could be in danger too, you need to lay low. As for us, we need your daughter.”

Adelaide raised her head from her hands in surprise.

    “Me?” She asked. “What for?”

    “Your a Wakefield. Your dad trained you to find us, use your skills and help us find both of our fathers.” Damien said, finally joining the conversation.

    “I’m not letting my daughter run of with two guys my husband hates and I don’t even know!” Claire, under obvious stress and fear, exclaimed.

    “Listen, if they took your husband, they won’t hesitate to find you. You need to leave Monroe, chances are, they know where you live.” Damien shot back.

    Claire, terrified, nodded mutely.

    “Thank you, you should find a place to stay and leave tomorrow. We’ll be back around ten.” Cohen stood, but Adelaide stopped him.
    “Do you two have a place to stay?” She asked.

    “We were going to go find a motel,” Damien muttered.

    “Our living room is open to you both, you can stay here.” Adelaide offered.

    Cohen, surprised, thanked her.

    “We’ll take the offer. I’ll go get our things from the car.” Cohen went to the door, Damien followed.

    As soon as they were gone, Claire turned on her daughter, “This is madness! And I know you did not just invite two strangers to sleep in our house.”

    “These aren’t strangers,” Adelaide replied, going to the stairs.

    “These are Stonecrests.”

Emilygurl4: I’m coming over early… my parents think we should go to brunch before movie night…


RayneRain04: I can’t hangout today… my mom’s cousin needs us at her place a couple hours from here.


Emilygurl4: LOL! We’ve been planning this for weeks, I’ll be there in 10


Adelaide groaned and continued shoving clothes and necessities into her duffel bag. She had a feeling she wouldn’t be coming home for a while so she took half of her savings account and had sent her mother to pick it up half an hour ago.

“Are you almost ready? We need to leave soon.” Cohen called from the hallway.

    “I’m working on it! Do me a favor, go into my father's study and carefully pull out all his papers and put them into his briefcase.” Adelaide replied.

    “Got it. Damien made room in the car for your stuff. Your mom has a brown envelope with your cash.” Cohen replied before jogging down the stairs.

    Going back to packing, Adelaide shoved some books her father gave her into a backpack along with her phone and charger. Zipping up both bags, Adelaide took them down stairs and placed them at the door just as Damien ran into the house.

    “Yo! We gotta go!” He yelled.

    Claire came out of the kitchen with a large suitcase, and handed Adelaide the envelope.

    “What’s going on?” She demanded.

    “The same van has driven around the block a couple times. They found us.” Damien replied.

    Cohen jogged from the study with a packed briefcase and small box of books.

    “They found us? Crap. Mrs. Wakefield, take your bags to the car and come back here. I’ll take these to ours and come back for Adelaide’s bags. Is there anything else you guys need?” Cohen ordered.

    Claire disappeared out the front door as Adelaide replied, “A box in the attic of Alexander Wakefield's personal items. We should take them.”

    “Damien go with her!” Cohen called racing from the house.

    Together, Damien and Adelaide ran to the attic stairs and went up. After locating the box and giving it to Damien, they went back down stairs.

    Claire and Cohen were waiting.

    “Alright, let’s go. Mrs. Wakefield, you have a place to go?” Cohen asked.

    “My sisters,” She replied.

    Claire hugged her daughter tightly and whispered, “Stay safe and be smart. I love you.”

    Suddenly, a voice called out, “What's going on? Are you going somewhere? Who are they?”

    The group whipped around, Emily Collins was standing at the door.

    “Emily!” Adelaide hissed, “You need to get out of here! Now!”

    Emily crossed her arms, offended, “Not until you tell me what’s going on.”

    Car tires could be heard screeching a block or two away.

    “They’ve found us! Claire run! Adelaide, there’s no time!” Cohen shoved the two in the direction the door. Emily stumbled back as Damien came charging past her.

    Claire ran to her car and started it quickly, throwing one last loving look to her daughter, she pealed out of the driveway and down the road.

    Damien shoved the box into the car as Adelaide locked the house’s door.

    “Listen, I have to go somewhere. I won’t be back for a while. You can’t tell anyone about what you’ve seen. Especially  not about the guys. If anyone asks, my mom and I are on a last minute vacation to Florida with my dad. Now go!”

    Obeying, Emily went back to her car and drove away.

    Adelaide jogged to the good looking SUV owned by Damien and fell into the backseat. As soon as all three of them were in the car, Damien floored it down the road.

Glancing behind them, Adelaide saw a white van speeding after them.

“Not to sound concerned, but there’s a white van chasing us!” Adelaide yelled.

“No? I hadn’t noticed!” Damien yelled back sarcastically.  

“Shut up and drive!” Cohen snarled, buckling his seatbelt.

        “Dead man Wakefields box is back there with you! Keep it safe!” Damien yelled making a sharp turn around the street corner.

    Adelaide dived for the swaying box and put it on her lap, hugging it tightly.

    Damien pulled onto the main street, people stopped and stared as the SUV came careening around the corner, followed by the van. The sound of police siren could be heard a couple blocks away.

    Damien swore, “Who called the cops?!”

    Cohen glared at his brother, “Oh, I don’t know. Maybe the twenty people you almost ran over back there!”

    Adelaide yelped as her seatbelt got tangled around her neck.

“Careful back there!” Damien called, glancing in the mirror.

The car sped out onto the highway as the van was suddenly cut of by the cops.

    “Keep driving!” Cohen ordered.

    “Where are we going?” Adelaide asked, leaning against the window.

    “Claiborne. It’s only a couple minutes away… and there’s the sign!” Cohen replied pointing out the window.

    “What’s in Claiborne?”

    “Nothing,” Damien said. “We just needed to get away from the bad guys and do an inventory of our stuff. Make sure nothing was forgotten.”

    Adelaide looked around the car. Her bags were next to her in the backseat, along with her father’s books and papers. Alexander Wakefields cardboard box was still on her lap. In the trunk were multiple suitcases and what looked like wooden crates.

“What is that that? How long have you two been on the road?” Adelaide asked.

“Our mother was killed a couple years ago, after that we went right into hiding. Our father was kidnapped a couple months ago.” Cohen explained.

“As for the stuff,” Damien added. “I sold our house, and most of our belongings, and packed everything else in the car. Most of its clothes. The crates hold our fake passports, credit cards, etcetera.”

“Wow, you really are in hiding… as soon as we stop I could go for some lunch.” Adelaide was finding it hard to believe that her families arch enemy’s were driving around with her on a wild chase to find their fathers. In fact, it was hard to believe that her father was gone. Forced to face the reality, she grew saddened. Her father could be dead right now, she had no idea how these two had held out hope for so long.

“Look! A Subway!” Cohen’s excited voice drew Adelaide from her thoughts.

She caught Damien rolling his eyes as Cohen looked out the window.

“That’s his favorite place,” Damien whispered loudly back to her. Raising his voice he added, “And he acts like a fool every time we go past one.”

Cohen glared at his brother, “Hey! F.Y.I I love Subway! You can’t stop love!”

Adelaide rolled her eyes at their antics.

Damien pulled the car into a motel parking lot and muttered, “It’s probably not what your used too, but we need to lay low until we know they didn’t have anyone else follow us.”

Cohen shook his head, laughed, and got out of the car.

“It’s fine. I understand, and if you're implying that I’m spoiled, I’ll have you know it’s quite the opposite. And who are “they” anyway? Do you know who kidnaped our father’s?” Adelaide asked.

Damien turned off the engine.

“It’s probably best if we show you.”


Adelaide soon found herself sitting at the edge of one of the three beds in the small motel room. Damien and Cohen were spreading papers and books all across the other bed. Muttering to himself, Damien motioned for her to come over.

“We have a working theory,” He said, pointing to two old pictures of different buildings. “That one is Wakefield Bank,”

The picture was old, black and white. The building itself was elegant, made of brick with white, corinthian pillars. The windows were long and tall, and the double doors were mahogany with complicated handleset knobs.

“I’m guessing it still doesn’t look like that.” Adelaide sighed. If Alexander kept the bank in the family, it would be owned by her father, and then her.

“Actually, it is the same,” Cohen replied. “As a historical landmark they’ve only constructed on the building for repairs, even then, they’ve kept it the same. No additions or changes. Maybe vault updates from time to time, but other than that your bank is the same.”

Adelaide smiled, “Good, I want it to stay that way. And that must be Stonecrest Law Offices.”

The Law Office looked just like the bank, except the window were more wide than tall, and beautiful lion statues graced the base of the steps.

“Their both beautiful,” Adelaide commented.

Damien nodded, “I think so too.”

The three stood in silence for a moment before Cohen continued.

“When Wakefield was put to trial, people believed he had gone insane. According to the newspapers at the time, he would repeat the same letters over and over again. “J” and “W.”

Adelaide listened intently before asking, “What do they mean? Was he really crazy?”

Damien was the one who replied, “We think that the letter are actually initials. So we looked up the towns birth records for the time. We think that they were at war with someone named Jonathan Williams.”

“I know that name!” Adelaide burst, hand me those books.” She said, reaching for her fathers box.

As soon as it was handed to her, she began to rummage through it.

“Here,” She pulled out a vintage book and flipped to a page in the middle.

“This book is of the history of Cambridge, Massachusetts. This page was on Alexander Wakefields trial after he and Stonecrest were found fighting in the mud,”

Adelaide handed the book to Cohen.

He scanned it.

“Jonathan Williams, one of Wakefields best managers claimed that Alexander had always been crazy. In fact, Williams testified against him in court and publicly ruined Stonecrest image!”

“Exactly! What if they were at war with him. If held a position at the bank, he probably held a position at the law offices.” Adelaide explained.

“I guess there’s only way to find out,” Damien smiled, looking at Cohen.

Adelaide slapped her leg and replied, “Well, boys. It looks like were going to Cambridge!”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.