One Hell of a Story | Teen Ink

One Hell of a Story

By crayoladad, Hiawatha, Kansas
crayoladad, Hiawatha, Kansas

“No, Jessica, I’m not going to go to a dumb cemetery in the middle of nowhere just because it was on Supernatural. Now can we please come up with an actual plan for our sixteenth birthday?” Abbott says looking at her friend with an annoyed look on her face.

“Come on, it’s my birthday too, Abbott. I really wanna go. How about we celebrate yours, then after we can do mine. That way, we’ll both get what we want,” Jessica says, pleading with her best friend.

Abbott waits a few minutes, thinking things over, and after seeing the desperation in her best friends eyes, she finally says “Fine, but mine better be amazing or else I’m not going.”

“Yay!” Jessica exclaimes and gives Abbott a big hug. “Well, how about we start thinking about things we can do for yours?”

Abbott thinks for a few minutes then finally says “Oh! How about we make an outdoor movie theater and, since our birthday is on Halloween, have a horror movie marathon.”

“That sounds like fun!” Jessica says with an excited expression on her face. The girls spend the rest of the day planning and getting ready for their parties in a few weeks.

_______

October thirtieth,  the day the girls agreed to have Abbott’s birthday party on. The two best friends have spent the entire day setting up Abbott’s backyard and cooking for the party, and now they are waiting for their other friends to show up.

Three hours later, the original Ghostbusters has just ended and Abbott is putting in Jaws. A few of the girls’ friends have already fallen asleep. Another two hours go by and everyone else has fallen asleep.

The next morning everyone wakes up and they eat pancakes that Abbott’s mom made, then go home. When everyone has left Abbott and Jessica get ready to make their trip to Stull. It takes them a few hours to decide on what they should bring, and they finally decide on a stopwatch, a flashlight (with extra batteries), a camera, their phones, and some roadtrip snacks.

Once they’ve got everything packed, Jessica and Abbott hop into Jessica’s car and they’re on their way. It takes them an hour to get there, but when they get to the cemetery they find out that it’s private and there’s security.

“Oh my God, Jessica, why didn’t you research to see if it was private before we came? We just wasted the entire day getting ready to come and drive here,” Abbott says then rolls her eyes, annoyed at her best friend.

“Wellllll, we could wait until it gets dark then sneak in. Imagine how cool that would be! Alone in a private cemetery that’s known to be extremely haunted on Halloween!” Jessica suggests getting excited.

“Oh sure, Jessica. And while we’re at it we can just kill ourselves.”

“Oh come on, Abbott. It’ll be fun,” Jessica says then seeing the look on her best friends face she adds “Pleaseee, it’s all I wanted to do for my birthday.”

“Fine, Jessica, but if we die it’s your fault,” she says, rolling her eyes.

“Yay!” And with that, they began waiting for it to get dark so they could sneak in.

A few hours pass by and it finally gets dark, so they get out of Jessica’s car and sneak into the cemetery, which happened to be very easy to sneak into. When they get in Jessica says “Okay, so what do you wanna find first: the witch’s gravestone, the church, or the staircase? I personally think we should see the gravestone first, then the church, then finish with the staircase.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Abbott says, gesturing at her friend to lead the way.

Jessica starts walking to no place in particular and says “Okay, so the gravestone is supposed to have a tree growing out of it.” After she says that she stops and looks around for a tree and, after spotting one, starts to walk in the direction of said tree.

When they get to the tree, it is indeed the gravestone. The land around the tree was all dead and it got cold as soon as they get close to the tree. “Uh, Jessica, I don’t think this is a good idea anymore, I’m getting kinda freaked,” Abbott says, slightly nervous.

“Oh come on, Abbott, haven’t you ever been to the Sallie House? This is nothing compared to that,” Jessica says to her friend with her hands on her hips. “Now, can you take a photo of me next to the hanging tree?”

“Yeah, okay, you’re right. Now get over there so I can take your picture.” Jessica walks closer to the tree and poses with a big smile on her face. Then Abbott takes the photo and says “Okay, now can we go to the church now?”

“Yeah, lets go,” Jessica says then starts walking toward the church, Abbott a few strides behind her. A few minutes they get to the ruined church and start looking around. “Wow, you can practically feel the energy coming off this place. How cool is that!?” Jessica says excitedly to her friend.

“Yeah… it is something,” Abbott says feeling even more nervous, but not wanting to ruin it for her friend. After a few moments she walks away from Jessica and starts looking in a different part of the church.

All of a sudden, Jessica screams and runs to help her friend. When she gets there, a scene out of a horror movie is awaiting her. Jessica is ripped into pieces and in the middle of the mess is a terrifying man with faces all over his body, eating her friend. Without thinking, Abbott screams and runs away. Seeing a hidden staircase, she decides to run down them and, after what seemed like an eternity, she gets to the bottom. When she gets there, she’s in a small room. Seeing a small hidden door, she decides to go through it.

When she walks through, she sees what looks like a grotesquely decorated throne room. Deciding that this wasn’t a good idea she turns around to go back up the stairs, but the door had closed and there isn’t a handle. So she decides to sit down and wait for someone to come into the room so she can get help.

After about fifteen minutes a man followed by two beasts walks in, not noticing Abbott yet, and sits down on the throne. “Now, Agares, how has this Hallows Eve been so far? Anything particularly exciting? What kind of sacrifices, in my name, has happened.”

Realising the situation she was in, Abbott whispers “Oh my God! I think I’m in Hell right now!”

Hearing her, the man turns looks at her, finally realizing that he wasn’t alone. “Who are you?” he asks eyes flashing in anger.

“Um, I-I’m Abbott. I-I don’t really know how I got here. I was with my friend at this dumb cemetery when she got attacked by some kind of beast and I found a staircase while running away and now I’m here,” she says mumbling over her words.

“Oh dear, she found Stull’s staircase,” the mystery man says to one of the beasts. “My only question is, who let her in here?”

“I’ll bet is was Dantalion, he’s been missing since the sun went down,” one of the beasts says with an annoyed look on its face.

Finally calming down, Abbott says “Wait, so am I actually in Hell right now? How f*e up is that!? Anyway, you must be Satan,” she finishes looking at the man.

“The name’s Lucifer, and you aren’t staying here. You’re a child, a live child,” Lucifer says with an annoyed look on his face.

Abbott gets up and walks over to him and says “Oh come on, I’m not a child. I’m sixteen, besides you can’t make me do anything, you’re not my mom or anything.” she finishes and pulls out her phone. “Oh come on! You don’t have any service down here, what the Hell!” she says, then realising what she just said, giggles and puts her phone back in her pocket.

With his hand over his face, Lucifer says “I’m literally the king of the underworld, and you will obey me.”

“Bro, you look seventeen. You’re not scary. Kinda cute, but not scary,” she says and sits on his lap.

“Azazel, could you please get this child off of me?” Lucifer says, his annoyance growing.

“O-of course sir,” one of the beasts say and grabs Abbott’s arm, making her get up.

“Get off me!” Abbott demands ripping her arm from his grip.

“Sir, how exactly do you plan on getting her out of here without her telling everyone? She needs to go back to Earth.” the demon, who’s name was Azazel says.

“I’m not going back, you can’t make me,” Abbott says, crossing her arms to prove her point.

“You are going back to Earth, child. You don’t belong here you haven’t died yet,” Lucifer tries to explain to her.

“Fine!” Abbott says throwing her hands up in defeat.

“Good, now let's go,” Lucifer says and walks over to the door that Abbott came from, and somehow opened it. “Follow me, I’m getting you back to the top.” Abbott frowned and followed him in defeat.

When they get to the top, the devil makes sure she’s okay, and leaves, walking back down the stairs.

A few minutes later Abbott pulls out her pocket knife, and in a moment of insanity, slices her throat open. Killing herself.

When Lucifer gets back to his throne room, he sees her, and gives her a confused look.

“What’s up bitch, you’re stuck with me now,” she says and giggles.